• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

USPS says delivered but not

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
I've read that some employees will scan the packages as delivered so that they can meet their delivery deadline, but then actually deliver them whenever they have time.

I would not be surprised at all. I once saw a UPS truck drive right past my address, not so much as slowing down, and within a minute or two I got an “undeliverable” email from them.

I do think the USPS is abysmal, but Fedex and UPS are just slightly better.

Brad
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I have also recently experienced more than my share of USPS nightmares. I have purchased a few horns from a collector over the past 2-3 years, and I have always received them in 2-3 days, since he lives only three states east of me. However, tomorrow will mark the two-week point(!) from his last shipment, which includes a pristine, play-tested-only Harrelson Summit in brushed silver. There's another horn in the double case, but I've forgotten what it is. Ha! Anyway, I got an email from USPS tonight, indicating that it has departed from the distribution center in the north part of our city. I'm guessing it's been sitting on an 18-wheeler at the front of the truck, so you know those puppies will be cold when I get them. It'll take awhile for them to thaw.

I had another similar experience in recent weeks, where a horn took an inordinate amount of time to arrive, so I'm probably going to move over to FedEx exclusively and have the boxes delivered to a nearby FedEx store. (The nearest UPS Customer Service Center is considerably farther.) I can generally pick them up the day they arrive that way. I don't feel that they would be entirely safe there, but definitely safer than sitting at my front door with all of the porch pirates we continue to see in the news. I also think it's time to get some additional cameras positioned in and around the house, now that the technology has advanced to where it is and prices have come down.

So I got the Summit and Rudy Muck trumpet this evening. It was sent 2-3 day and arrived in 14 days! It was dropped off while I was sitting in the front room, talking to the father of one of my wife's young voice students during a lesson. I had a sign on the door for USPS to ring the doorbell,...BUT NO RING!!! It was sitting there for 45 minutes with me sitting literally 10 feet away! Absolutely ridiculous! The next voice student could clearly read the sign. Oh, wait...USPS people are not required to read, I guess. I realize that they're just trying to get them packages to them houses all in one day. I git it. It's just so frustrating that things work this way. Hey, even crazier that the sender did not have insurance on these horns!!! Argh!!! I guess he felt confident about it. In fact, he was ready to send another horn (gold plated Hub van Laar Oiram in mint) if these didn't arrive.
XOF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically, if the status of your packages is delivered, then you should have received a tracking number. But then again, it's USPS we are talking about here... I've heard so many bad incidents about them, and it was mostly about how they either don't deliver in time or let packages get lost along the way. After losing a couple of my parcels because of USPS, I switched to epacket tracking . At least now I can live peacefully knowing that my packages are in safe hands.

Last edited by XOF on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping USPS is just begging for trouble.

I had a very rare horn stolen - wait, no, can't say that, the "proper" word is "vanish", at the NJ sorting center while the employees were making holiday overtime.

I had another package disappear for 2 weeks and then finally appear, box torn to pieces and taped together, literally run over, and a paper taped to it that read "WE CARE" - yeah right.

Tried to track a lost package that had shipping info inside as well as out with the help of a New England postmaster who really did care. We both hit a wall at their center that is supposed to figure out packages that have lost their addressing because its sole function is actually to remove identifying marks and sell the stuff. (Boy do they get angry when you manage to get their phone number from an internal list!)

I'll deal with the dyslexic UPS driver who constantly delivers to an address up the street by flipping 2 digits in his head, and I prefer Fed-Ex, which has been great to work with - but USPS is just plain awful

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Dave_3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OP is still waiting for a package that was shipped nearly 3 years ago, he is a lot more optimistic than I am.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you get with outsourcing, cost cutting and not paying a living wage.

The same issues are happening across the world as we ‘haves’ insist on cheap and cheaper goods and services. Why buy an item from X seller if Y seller offers free shopping for the same price? I get the saving, but someone pays for the shipping, somewhere along the line.

My recent excursion from reality in dealing with our postal service and their inability to deliver to my home address took months to resolve. Local government archivists recovering documents from the 1930’s, investigations, my own phone called to distribution centres (I think they learned to not answer phones from USPS) purchasing custom made post boxes, all only partly worked.

It was talking to, befriending and start in a positive relationship with our parcel delivery driver and postie that worked! Parcels even seem to move a bit faster now. All it took was talking, smiling, and thanks 🙏 which made their days and saw a bit more effort made.

An email praising our delivery driver sealed the deal. They might have to work 6 full days to do their 5 day pay job, work after hours in second and third gigs, take their life in their hands delivering food by moped, but a bit of human understanding goes a long long way.

Cheers

Andy
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Silver flair off a seller off the marketplace,. Usps gave the seller the wrong tracking number. The horn never arrived and is now lost. Seller refunded my payment but unfortunately not positive the seller will get it resolved with usps as tracking number was wrong.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Shipping

... I prefer Fed-Ex, which has been great to work with - but USPS is just plain awful

USPS has become extremely unreliable. I shipped a rare and valuable horn Priority Express (their "best" overnight service). The horn arrived with a crushed bell and judging from the box, it appears it was crushed horizontally, as if it was crushed between a wall and a vehicle. Despite being fully insured and the damage was inspected by the Post Office and deemed to be extremely well packaged, it took over 6 months and a call to the Postal Inspector in Washington D.C. to get them to finally pay the claim.

Unfortunately, FedEx seems no better. Years ago, I received a box that was literally torn in half and then poorly taped together with the styrofoam peanuts falling out of the box and some were even taped to the outside of the box. Although fully insured, FedEx refused to pay off on the basis that six months prior I received a damaged package that they did pay off on. While both packages were totally unrelated and both were fully and separately insured, FedEx's position was that they already paid off on one and they were not going to pay off on the second.

Both packages were shipping using my business account. I immediately closed that account and have never used FedEx again. Over the years, they have probably lost several thousand dollars in shipping because the refused to pay on a legitimate $250.00 claim. Go figure.
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago, I sold a really nice Getzen cornet here to a fellow member. It was just a short trip from Dallas to Austin. I even dropped it off at the Post Office. That was the last time it was seen, if you will. Never showed up on the tracker after being marked as being shipped. Ended up having to file a claim and they paid it, but it was just sickening to me. I figure someone just stole it on the way to the main distribution center.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap brass is 2 bucks/pound

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USPS has been generally good for me.

A few years ago, a tennis racquet I got from eBay was marked as delivered by wasn't delivered to me. Talked to the post office and the regular driver was on vacation so they had a sub. Turns out it was delivered to a neighbor's (a few digits were swapped) and after several days, he noticed it (only his elementary kids were home) and dropped it off.

Occasionally, I get the next door neighbor's mail in my box so I put it in the correct one (there's about a half dozen in a line at the corner). This has happened for decades, but I've never not gotten something, as far as I know.

UPS has not been particularly good in terms of handling and delivery. However, amazingly during the pandemic, they've actually cleaned up their act a bit and haven't had any real issues. FedEx tends to be a bleep show waiting to happen, packages end up at anywhere within 3-4 houses, stuff is marked as delivered and then arrives a day or two later, and the handling is often poor.

I also worked for a local music retailer for several years and did a significant amount of shipping and receiving for them. We didn't use USPS much other than some basic mailings, but used a local delivery company quite a bit along with UPS and received stuff from all of the major shippers. Frankly, those experiences tend to line up pretty much with my personal ones. UPS was ok but sometimes packages arrived crushed or broken, mangled or whatnot and I had to take pictures and submit claims and such. FedEx was even worse. The local outfit was actually pretty good, but only covered the local states.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_3 wrote:
If the OP is still waiting for a package that was shipped nearly 3 years ago, he is a lot more optimistic than I am.

OP here. Not sure why another poster brought this back up but this was favorably resolved (and update posted on 7th post of this thread).
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangential to this discussion–and not that this is any kind of guarantee–I started using Fragile stickers on my trumpet shipments this year, which has seemed to help somewhat in handling. I put one on each of the six sides of the box. You can buy 1000 for less than $10 from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W9KRKKR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WFUnix wrote:
Dave_3 wrote:

OP here. Not sure why another poster brought this back up but this was favorably resolved (and update posted on 7th post of this thread).

My guess is that while your situation was favorably resolved minus the aggravation, evidently USPS, UPS, and FedEX have failed to clean up their acts.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatchmoGillespie wrote:
Several years ago, I sold a really nice Getzen cornet here to a fellow member. It was just a short trip from Dallas to Austin. I even dropped it off at the Post Office. That was the last time it was seen, if you will. Never showed up on the tracker after being marked as being shipped. Ended up having to file a claim and they paid it, but it was just sickening to me. I figure someone just stole it on the way to the main distribution center.

I had something like this happen twice during the last year with eBay/USPS labels. In both cases I dropped off the package, but it never was marked in the USPS system as having been received. I threw a fit, as one of them was a Mt. Vernon 3C, but they wouldn’t believe that I had ever handed over the packages. Thus I lost the money and the item in both cases. It seems there may be some level of organized theft in the USPS organization…
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
SatchmoGillespie wrote:

I had something like this happen twice during the last year with eBay/USPS labels. In both cases I dropped off the package, but it never was marked in the USPS system as having been received. I threw a fit, as one of them was a Mt. Vernon 3C, but they wouldn’t believe that I had ever handed over the packages. Thus I lost the money and the item in both cases. It seems there may be some level of organized theft in the USPS organization…

I always insist on a receipt when sending something other than a routine letter dropped in the mailbox.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatchmoGillespie wrote:
Several years ago, I sold a really nice Getzen cornet here to a fellow member. It was just a short trip from Dallas to Austin.

"Short"? Ha, ha. Spoken like a true Texan. If you grew up on an island, that's like going to the other end of the moon.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I always insist on a receipt when sending something other than a routine letter dropped in the mailbox.

I do so now. I had never had any issues with any of thousands of USPS items in over 20+ years, so it’s clear that something has changed during the past year or two, decidedly for the worse.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:

I do so now. I had never had any issues with any of thousands of USPS items in over 20+ years, so it’s clear that something has changed during the past year or two, decidedly for the worse.

Something that could be useful: USPS Informed Delivery

You sign up on the USPS web site. They post scans of letters and tracking numbers for packages. There is a very handy check-box for 'I did not receive this item' to report lost mail. Had to do it once, got a phone call from the carrier's supervisor the same day.

In some (rural) areas the mail is not delivered by an employee but by an independent contractor. Having lived in one of those areas the quality of the contractor was a factor in selecting what service I used.

And agreed; I am not experiencing the quality that existed years ago - and not just with the Post Office.

Gary,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: