• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Don't Know Where To Go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmaaaa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Don't Know Where To Go Reply with quote

I want to go to a reasonable school but a good school nonetheless.What colleges should I look into that have great music ed/performance programs that would be within reach for the average not millionaire?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where so you live? State schools with in-state tuition is going to be cheaper than out-of-state or private. Look into scholarships and grants. If you are in high school your guidance councilor should be helpful, as well as your band director. Some community colleges have good programs and they are less expensive. You can take care of the pre-req academic courses on the cheap. If you are already good enough to pass the audition, service bands are an opportunity and you'll be entitled to the current version of the GI Bill to help with college expenses.
Chase Domke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even some conservatories give generous scholarships if you show enough merit and need for them! Peabody Conservatory(where I am) has an amazing music ed program, and they can give pretty goood scholarships as well!
Yamaha 9636 Eb/D
Schilke P5-4
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the average non-millionaire? The Army.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Don't Know Where To Go Reply with quote

emmaaaa wrote:
... What colleges should I look into that have great music ed/performance programs ...

---------------------------
For Music Ed, I doubt that it matters as long it qualifies for whatever 'teaching certificate' is needed in your location. And also consider taking courses that will help if you go into the admin side of education - business, human relations, public policy, etc.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are no good Teachers/Schools, only good students..."

Jump in, get involved, practice, perform, study.. opportunities will arise, be ready to take advantage of them..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are no good Teachers/Schools, only good students..."

I went to two different universities for my undergraduate and, from my experience, cannot take this at face value. The second school's music department was superior, no question.

But another point is that you can make the most of where you are, and in this regard, there were excellent musicians and ensembles where I began, but fewer in number.

Some of it's the amount of possibilities available to you and also the contacts you make. My second school had a slew of, subsequent, successful musicians world-wide, whereas the first school's network was limited.

No disrespect to educators, but the playing demands and performer networking on you as a mus. ed. major are different. I would choose an in-state, public university, if money is a factor for you, and take full advantage of what's available there.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do music ed, pick the best public university near where you want to teach. That's the school the principals that will hire you will be coming from. Frequently, when all else fails they will default to the alumni of their alma mater.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: