• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Searching for Prokofiev 5 Melodies arrangement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetization

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Searching for Prokofiev 5 Melodies arrangement Reply with quote

Hi All, I’m interested in performing Prokofiev 5 Melodies (originally for voice and piano) and after some research I noticed that there are several trumpeters who recorded it down a whole step. Makes sense for easier facility. I can’t find the arrangement anywhere online and I’m wondering if anyone knows where I can get this arrangement. I’d normally transpose it myself but the piano part is very complex and I simply don’t have time to input it. Any help is appreciated!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not finding the pieces available in either XML or MIDI and the printed versions I'm seeing aren't likely to scan well. I'll try to look harder online when I can. The IMSLP score is only 16 pages. Without the trumpet part that's only around 11 pages of piano parts. Some individual movements wouldn't take long too enter though some are more complex.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
sweet-ribs chamberlain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider contacting the trumpeters directly. Ray Mase at Juilliard is one that comes to mind. Another option is to input the piano score into your favorite notation software and transpose it manually (or pay someone to do it). Not sure if the music is PD or not, so I am not intending to suggest you break the law. Interesting side note: I performed one of these on my grad recital and my third slide popped out onto the floor during the performance. I want a rematch! Please keep us posted on what you find, and good luck!

Sweet-ribs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I'm not finding the pieces available in either XML or MIDI and the printed versions I'm seeing aren't likely to scan well. I'll try to look harder online when I can. The IMSLP score is only 16 pages. Without the trumpet part that's only around 11 pages of piano parts. Some individual movements wouldn't take long too enter though some are more complex.

Yeah, page one is a pain in the neck to enter into Finale.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a conundrum on your hands, and the solution is going to be less easy than you hope for, less you can source some music from one who has already performed / recorded it.

My attempts would go like this...

1. Look out for alternative voice editions. Talk to a very knowledgeable music shop or a great voice teacher.

2. Learn to play it on C trumpet or the original key, in other words, suck it up.

3. Find the time to input this into your favourite application, or hand write it.

4. Fork out the cash to get someone else to do it - at Christmas time no less.

If you go for #4, as a professional music prep person in a previous life, let me warn you this is not a quickie! To get a good result will take at LEAST a week of someone's time, unless they are right at the top of the copyist tree, and then you will be paying just as much! Doing jingles and such, we work (in m neck of the woods) on a per page price. This job would be an hourly rate and would go into the high hundreds of dollars. (Yes, multi-voiced piano parts are a complete and utter PITA to get just right!)

cheers

Andy
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another alternative would be to find someone (or someplace) using a keyboard or electronic organ with a "transpose" button. Our personal keyboard as well as the keyboard and organ at church have this feature. My wife and I (she plays piano/keys/organ) have done this a couple of times, but it is important to run through so the drop in pitch does not throw the keyboardist off. You transpose the trumpet part as you like, then the pianist plays the music as-written but in a different key thanks to the wonders of modern electronics.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun I started keying it into Finale. The first page took me a few hours to enter. Yeah, the muti-voicing is indeed a PITA. Had to get creative to avoid too much post editing to make everything legible. I think the second page won't be quite as slow going. I'm hoping I can remind myself how to manage all the cross-staff beaming later on. And a few of the other movements appear to be much simpler. Too early to tell if I'm sufficiently motivated to do all the movements. And no, that's not an attempt to solicit any sort of compensation. I happen to like performing notation and do it as time allows for my own amusement.

I do rather like the suggestion of using a transposing keyboard. Another option would be to have someone record it in the written key then play it back on a device that will allow you to drop the key. Both have their drawbacks.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Just for fun I started keying it into Finale. <snip> I'm hoping I can remind myself how to manage all the cross-staff beaming later on.

Ah, yes. This is where the fee gets earned. Years ago, our guild forbade the use of computer software as it could not produce acceptable results. That changed eventually, as the applications improved to the point legibility was indistinguishable from hand written parts. Plus, I still could not get a page done on computer as fast as I could by hand!

For a time...

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: