• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reeves cup depth and difference in tone

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a strange sense of deja vu after reading your post.

I ordered a Reeves mpc from Musicians Friend. What I received was a Reeves mpc, but the model was incorrect. Called up customer service, who are essentially phone operators with no knowledge of what they are selling. I explained the problem, got an RMA, returned the incorrect mpc. The correct one would be sent to me once it was in stock.

After about a week or so, I received a package with the same incorrect mpc I had just returned. I called up customer service again, explained the problem, etc, etc and mailed back the incorrect mpc.

<REPEAT LAST PARAGRAPH AGAIN!!>. Yup, they sent me back the same wrong mpc for a 2nd time.

I figured out what was going on. Musicians Friend places their OWN label/barcode on the Reeves box. THEIR LABEL INCORRECTLY IDENTIFIED THE CONTENTS OF THE BOX. When they received the return, THEY DIDNT CORRECT THE LABEL MISTAKE, and put the box back into their sellable inventory.

I explained to customer service what had been happening. They assured me the correct mpc was due to arrive at their warehouse in a few days, and they would mail it to me as soon as they got it.

I guess the operator felt my frustration. When I asked about returning the incorrect mpc, they said ‘You can mail it back, or not. Totally up to you.” So I ended up with a free Reeves mpc, not exactly the size I wanted, but kept it for possible future use.

I finally got the correct mpc.

If you didn’t know, Musicians Friend and WWBW are pretty much the same company. Bear in mind, ever time I spoke to an operator, I had to repeat the story. Add to the fact they didn’t know the difference between a trumpet mouthpiece and a cornet mouthpiece. And a “hold on, let me get my superviser” meant I had to repeat the story from the beginning, again. Nothing was conveyed from one operator to the next.
bender-offender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun01 wrote:
I had a strange sense of deja vu after reading your post.

I ordered a Reeves mpc from Musicians Friend. What I received was a Reeves mpc, but the model was incorrect. Called up customer service, who are essentially phone operators with no knowledge of what they are selling. I explained the problem, got an RMA, returned the incorrect mpc. The correct one would be sent to me once it was in stock.

After about a week or so, I received a package with the same incorrect mpc I had just returned. I called up customer service again, explained the problem, etc, etc and mailed back the incorrect mpc.

<REPEAT LAST PARAGRAPH AGAIN!!>. Yup, they sent me back the same wrong mpc for a 2nd time.

I figured out what was going on. Musicians Friend places their OWN label/barcode on the Reeves box. THEIR LABEL INCORRECTLY IDENTIFIED THE CONTENTS OF THE BOX. When they received the return, THEY DIDNT CORRECT THE LABEL MISTAKE, and put the box back into their sellable inventory.

I explained to customer service what had been happening. They assured me the correct mpc was due to arrive at their warehouse in a few days, and they would mail it to me as soon as they got it.

I guess the operator felt my frustration. When I asked about returning the incorrect mpc, they said ‘You can mail it back, or not. Totally up to you.” So I ended up with a free Reeves mpc, not exactly the size I wanted, but kept it for possible future use.

I finally got the correct mpc.

If you didn’t know, Musicians Friend and WWBW are pretty much the same company. Bear in mind, ever time I spoke to an operator, I had to repeat the story. Add to the fact they didn’t know the difference between a trumpet mouthpiece and a cornet mouthpiece. And a “hold on, let me get my superviser” meant I had to repeat the story from the beginning, again. Nothing was conveyed from one operator to the next.

Wow! That's great you got to keep the mouthpiece; stinks what you had to go through to get it. I've had issues with Musiciansfriend as well when purchasing other items. Most of the time they've been friendly and helpful, but every once in a while you get someone who can be difficult.

If the 9A is different enough in sound from the 43C, I may try for the exchange. If it's not, then I'll just stick with the 43C.

Thanks!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bender-offender wrote:
Well, I purchased the Purviance 9A as John suggested from WWBW. I received the package today, opened it up, and there was sitting a shiny, brand new, Purviance P8A. Obviously, I called them up and sorted it out.

Anyway, I found a new 43C from a small dealer and ordered it after I ordered the 9A. So I'm wondering if it's worth swapping the P8A for 9A from WWBW or to just get a full refund since I have the 43C on the way?

Thanks!

bender-offender wrote:
If the 9A is different enough in sound from the 43C, I may try for the exchange. If it's not, then I'll just stick with the 43C.

I think you are going to like and keep both pieces. Finally, after a years-long search for a used Purviance 5*3, and finally giving up and starting a special order through the WWBW for a new Purviance 5*3 (same mouthpiece as the Purviance 9A but made with the original Purviance mouthpiece blank), I was blessed with the opportunity to buy a used 5*3 in very good condition for a very low price. So I bought it, the seller (a member of the TH) sent it to me before he even received my check, it arrived four days ago, and I LOVE IT!

It plays a little darker than the 43C and my articulation issue on low and middle range notes with the 43C seems gone. But the upper register is still nice and bright (not quite as bright as the 43C but still plenty bright and strong). I think you will like the 9A when it arrives for the same reason I do.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
bender-offender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
bender-offender wrote:
Well, I purchased the Purviance 9A as John suggested from WWBW. I received the package today, opened it up, and there was sitting a shiny, brand new, Purviance P8A. Obviously, I called them up and sorted it out.

Anyway, I found a new 43C from a small dealer and ordered it after I ordered the 9A. So I'm wondering if it's worth swapping the P8A for 9A from WWBW or to just get a full refund since I have the 43C on the way?

Thanks!

bender-offender wrote:

I think you are going to like and keep both pieces. Finally, after a years-long search for a used Purviance 5*3, and finally giving up and starting a special order through the WWBW for a new Purviance 5*3 (same mouthpiece as the Purviance 9A but made with the original Purviance mouthpiece blank), I was blessed with the opportunity to buy a used 5*3 in very good condition for a very low price. So I bought it, the seller (a member of the TH) sent it to me before he even received my check, it arrived four days ago, and I LOVE IT!

It plays a little darker than the 43C and my articulation issue on low and middle range notes with the 43C seems gone. But the upper register is still nice and bright (not quite as bright as the 43C but still plenty bright and strong). I think you will like the 9A when it arrives for the same reason I do.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Hi John,

Thank you for the update

Does the rim of the 5*3 feel the same as the Reeves 43? If not, what are the differences? Also, how does the backbore feel compared to the Reeevs 2?

I already sent the 8A back and requested a refund, but it’s still in transit, so maybe I can ask for an exchange instead before it arrives.

I received the 43C a few days ago and it definitely sounds broader and warmer than the 43M. It’s a very nice piece.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: