• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beginner Looking for Affordable Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TubaPresident

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Beginner Looking for Affordable Trumpet Reply with quote

I wish to learn to play the trumpet, not for anything serious, but just for my own enjoyment. I've been playing the tuba for about 5 years now and trombone for about a year, so I know how to spot a fake instrument or a made as cheap as possible instrument when buying a horn online.

I had found a trumpet on Amazon, which is branded as "Jean Paul." I've seen this trumpet before when doing some research on various trumpets. It's the Jean Paul USA TR-330 Intermediate Student Trumpet. Has anyone ever used this instrument or know if it is a good horn for it's price?

The Amazon link is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WAVQ50/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3DQXVY3AFQSJD&coliid=IDS8S9NJYIU2U
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that for $179 it's it's a cheaply made horn that may look fine but wouldn't sound great, be easy to play, or hold up well over time. My advice would be to start with a name brand student horn from Getzen, Bach, Kanstul or Yamaha. And find a teacher!

Incidentally, glowing reviews like those for the horn you linked are likely to be from buyers who don't know beans about trumpets or parents who are thrilled that their 10-year old can get any sound at all out of a piece of brass.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a brand I know or trust. I'd recommend buying or renting a name brand student model. Bach and Yamaha models are reasonably reliable. Used these can be had for relatively little cash. I'm told that used cornets can often be had for even less.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call or drop in on a few local music stores and tell them you're in the market for an inexpensive trumpet, maybe a beginner instrument returned by a student at the end of the school year. With all the rental returns they're processing at the end of the school year, you would probably be a welcome sight.

I'd steer clear of the mystery brands if I were you.
Piccolo Stomvi
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be that guy, but you obviously don't know how to spot a fake or cheaply made instrument if you are seriously considering that trumpet. Stick with Bach, Olds, Yamaha, Getzen, newer Jupiter, Holton. Those all have trusted reliability, a proven track record, and parts are readily available if needed. You can pick many of these up for under 300, some for much less. If it is brand new and under 500, my opinion is it will be total crap 99% of the time.

Bach LR19043B B-flat
Blackburn converted Bach C
Kanstul CC920 Piccolo
Blessing XL Flugelhorn
J.W. York and Sons Perfec-Tone B-flat/A Cornet
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out entry level Carol Brass horns at Thomann.de if going for a new horn.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner Looking for Affordable Trumpet Reply with quote

TubaPresident wrote:
The Amazon link is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WAVQ50/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3DQXVY3AFQSJD&coliid=IDS8S9NJYIU2U

http://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap_news/scrap-brass-prices/
robbrand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Beginner horns Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Check out entry level Carol Brass horns at Thomann.de if going for a new horn.

And while you're on Thomann also look into their own branded horns. I have a TR620 which costs around $200 and it's a fine instrument for the price... excellent valve action and decent enough sound.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly it's probably an ok trumpet. The Asian horns sound fine the only problems are the valves and that is hit or miss. To just mess around for your own enjoyment I would not jump to the name brands because of the high prices. If a used horn is fine check out the quality brass webstore, Fred is a great guy and will get you a nice horn that he has made sure of its quality and charge a fair price. I have and probably will again buy an Asian horn, can't be beat for the dollar amount
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay with a name-brand trumpet... chances are much higher that you'll get an instrumnent that will perform up to it's price AND when you need to have work done or want to re-sell they will be viable options.

all of the cheap Asian horns are copies of something, so in design they have some worth BUT are cheap because of materials used and QT in manufacture.

I just had the experince of having to fix a leak in a second valve slide on a students Chinese trumpet that the local repair shops wouldn't touch - they didn't want to deal with the poor quality brass tubing and "silver" plating. Basically the tubing was cut and matched so poorly that it was never sealed at it's joints.

If you're going that route I'd suggest you go for a pTrumpet or tromba (plastic trumpet) - all the ones I've played work and play surprisingly well.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some American branded student horns made in Asia, and people had the same contention with Yamaha when first introduced. the way I see it is get used vintage and put some money into it to make it great or just buy one of the imports. They are making better horns than they did 10 years ago and of the ones I've played-my Cecilio, a roy benson, and a no name horn all were ok! You just have to do the normal break in stuff. And now many of them come with 3-5 year warranty. Get a horn and start blowing is my suggestion and if you want to continue for more than just kicks get a nice horn
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Craigslist currently has a Getzen 490 listed for $250. That is a very well regarded horn and assuming there aren't condition issues, it would be a better choice than the horn linked in the OP's post. If you really want to limit how much you spend, I also spotted a Holton Collegiate for $100. I have no affiliation with either instrument. Shopping locally lets you check out the condition for yourself and avoids possible shipping damage, both potential issues if you go to Ebay for a horn. That being said, there will be lots of horns on Ebay that could potentially work well for you. Your dollars will go much farther buying used rather than new and with a little hunting you should be able to find an entry level instrument with fairly low mileage.

Good luck with your hunt.
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally a fan of the LA Olds Ambassador trumpets. They have an incredibly balanced sound that doesn't sound as dull as a lot of the Fullerton horns. They light up well and have really workable scales. Additionally, most of them haven't been worn out like the Mendez and Recordings. They usually aren't the prettiest horns but can sometimes be found for less than you were willing to spend on the Jean Paul.

Just look for the pinky ring instead of a hook and you should be good. Feel free to send me a link to check out the valves or condition before you buy if it would make you more comfortable.

best of luck and welcome to TH!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP:

cornets are cheaper and play just fine. Olds Ambassador cornets are rock solid and play well. Kanstul's student models also play well, but little will go as cheaply as an Ambassador.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the bargains in used trumpets are gone from ebay in the last 5/10 years. what is left that is overlooked are reynolds trumpets which can be had for a hundred, maybe some holtons. too many of the name brands are priced ridiculously high for old merchandise to where it's not that much more to get something new, maybe a chinese trumpet from a trusted seller like dillon or ACB. they seem to want $500/$1000 on ebay for 'good old good old' that isn't particularly desirable.
a call to the salesman at dillon's to get set up with something used is a good move, same with thompson music. you can sleep at night when you get taken care of by someone knowledgeable.
dcpritchett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to ebay. Find a Holton T602 for less than $200 and buy it. You can always get your money back and you will have a solid urn to learn on. Just my .02 worth.
ban

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: tromba Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
stay with a name-brand trumpet... chances are much higher that you'll get an instrumnent that will perform up to it's price AND when you need to have work done or want to re-sell they will be viable options.

all of the cheap Asian horns are copies of something, so in design they have some worth BUT are cheap because of materials used and QT in manufacture.

I just had the experince of having to fix a leak in a second valve slide on a students Chinese trumpet that the local repair shops wouldn't touch - they didn't want to deal with the poor quality brass tubing and "silver" plating. Basically the tubing was cut and matched so poorly that it was never sealed at it's joints.

If you're going that route I'd suggest you go for a pTrumpet or tromba (plastic trumpet) - all the ones I've played work and play surprisingly well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tromba&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atromba
bdbrescia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to the well known brands... Bach makes good student horns
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ad:

http://www.costco.ca/.product.100126727.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory#

says they have stainless steel pistons. Could be they're made by Carol.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
This ad:

http://www.costco.ca/.product.100126727.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory#

says they have stainless steel pistons. Could be they're made by Carol.
braces and water keys are not carolbrass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: