• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet sections - how should a cornet section work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrenrowan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Cornet sections - how should a cornet section work? Reply with quote

Most of my friends in the US at the Houston Brass Band have come from a Trumpet “upbringing”. They have a very different approach to me when it comes to playing as a team in the cornet section. I am not saying one is right and the other is wrong but I am interestined in understanding your thoughts on how you feel a cornet section (including Sop) should play together as a team.

I believe getting the section working well together is key to our cornet section (and Band) making improvements to its “British Brass Band” style sound.

I look forward to your thoughts!!

Thank you.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main responsibility and judgement is that of the director.

There can be many different personalities in a group, and various views and willingness to change.

Of course there are also 'local styles'.

My suggestion would be to play in the style that you think is best, and to tell the director that you want to know if anything should be done differently with your playing. Of course, the style you use has to be an acceptable blend in the section.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it is common sense teamwork - when people get tired, things start to break down, so create extra rests by cutting numbers where possible. For example, if you've got all 4 solo cornets (or all 2nds and 3rds, etc) on the same line at mezzoforte you don't all need to play it.

Sop comes with its own set of demands, almost every entry is exposed and stamina management is key - don't expect sop to double up on midrange passages (below top G on Bb cornet lines, I leave out anything doubled below that 90% of the time).

In general you get a feel for what works (as a section) with experience - but the primary goal is to keep everyone as fresh as possible, the higher up the line you are, the harder work your parts will be and so the section should be looking to look after you more (where possible!).

Last edited by TKSop on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Cornet sections Reply with quote

Hello all,
I agree with TKsop. He comes from the tradition that us North Americans are supposed to be striving for. I see that the biggest challenge for us is to get away from trumpet cup mouthpieces and to imitate the sound of our Brit brothers. I hope that I used that term correctly, I don't want to start another war...Most of us play in community concert/dance bands and are playing with a C cup or close alternative. I have a few bandmates here that are playing deeper Mp's and I am trying to do my part on solo cornet with a Warburton XD cup. The MBC is just too deep for me to have much endurance for my part. No, I don't want MP suggestions. The rest is approach, style (directors gig..) and tone (my responsibility to emulate a BBB vibrato/concept.) In a nutshell, we should be divorcing ourselves from concert band approach to a BBB approach.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet sections - how should a cornet section work? Reply with quote

darrenrowan wrote:
Most of my friends in the US at the Houston Brass Band have come from a Trumpet “upbringing”. They have a very different approach to me when it comes to playing as a team in the cornet section. I am not saying one is right and the other is wrong but I am interestined in understanding your thoughts on how you feel a cornet section (including Sop) should play together as a team.

I believe getting the section working well together is key to our cornet section (and Band) making improvements to its “British Brass Band” style sound.

I look forward to your thoughts!!

Thank you.

It so happens that I play the extremes - solocornet in a brassband - and - lead trumpet in some bigbands. In my opinion there is (should be) a huge difference in the attitudes playing these extremes. I think one way of imagining this is to take the extremes - differences become more evident.
In the brassband you should aim to play smoothly, gentle attacks, realize that first of all you play in a section where the aim is to play as "one"; no one should "stand out". Sometimes parts are divided but the same attitude should prevail. TKsop writes that sop parts often are very exposed (I know, having played soprano, continously nerve wrecking..)so the soprano part may stand out a little but within limits, never dominate (unless called for). The front row section does not play lead in the sense that the principal has the same role as the lead trumpet in a big band - the goal is to make the front row sound as "one", that special cornet timbre which then should blend with the euphoniums, trombones, horn section. Very often the melody is carried by the solocornets - contrasting what happens in a bigband where the saxes often dominate; trombones and trumpets adding colour (I often found it more easy to switch from trumpet to soprano, than to Bb cornet - shepherds crook . )
Regarding mouthpieces most of us began with the Salvation Army mouthpieces, soon to be replaced with C cups of different brands; however the development went towards Wicks, deeper, more V cupish, hence a more mellow sound, darker, than the previous lighter/brighter. Cornets also became somewhat more "large boreish".
In the bigband the leadtrumpet should stand out, top of the chord, be bright, sometimes sparkling (not meaning that you should dominate, the sections should sound as a section, lead trumpet on top of the pyramid - 4 trumpet should not dominate!! Also more crisp attacks, a whole set of different accentuations etc. In concertbands we often find cornets and trumpets, each horn adding its special timbre to the overall picture.
So - the very attitude playing cornet differs from the trumpet. A homogenous sound; never ever"flashy" playing. Front row (and back row) cornets are not the local heroes (try tell a leadman that...). United we play!
Of course a trumpet section in a bigband should be syncronized, play in a nice way - but cornet playing, in my opinion comes closer to singing in a choir, sort of.
At least this is what I think! However I am not from the Island so those who are like TKsop might think otherwise.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note here. Last week I was trying to go for a specific sound with a cornet. It was for small combo jazz stuff. But that's beside the point. I used a Wick no letter with my BBB style cornet. Day one kicked my butt like it did the first time I was starting with this combination years ago for BBB. But after a few days things changed. The same thing happened that happened years ago. Endurance improved. Range improved. Control improved. I anticipate the same thing happening that happened before. I will reach the point where endurance is the best of any combination of equipment I've ever tried. This setup forces me to do it all correctly. Will this happen for everyone? Not a clue.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: