• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Slide lubricant – what do you use?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
FYI Schilke grease (in the '70's) was 50-50 anhydrous lanolin and amber petrolium jelly. (( I caught grease duty occasionally)

That's a neat little fact to know. I still prefer Schilke slide grease for my tuning slide, although I've taken to using the thinner Hetman slide grease/oil for my moving slides.

If all it takes is a 50/50 mix, it would be pretty easy to duplicate it, although getting plain white petroleum jelly would be easier than finding amber petroleum jelly. It can be obtained, but I'm not sure what use I'd have for a 5 gallon pail (or 55 gallon drum, for that matter) delivered right to my door from Amazon. (The smallest quantity that can be ordered from Amazon is a pint.) Anhydrous lanolin can be ordered in small enough quantities that I could easily put a batch together - say 8 oz each - for a pound of "Schilke" slide grease, that would likely last the rest of my life.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Space Filler TS on tuning slide & 2nd valve slide. On first & third, I either use Zaja Lube or Space Filler TS cut with Zaja Lube or valve oil.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the red Selmer slide grease and cut it with a drop or two of Blue Juice on the 1st and 3rd slides.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve oil on the third valve, which I like to move like a trombone slide. Same on the first valve it has a trigger or a thumb saddle, pharmaceutical grade lanolin if not. The same lanolin on the tuning slide and the 2nd valve slide.

I think a lot of people mix some kind of oil with lanolin or something similar. What does adding cold cream to lanolin do?

Take care,
Marc Speed
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
Valve oil on the third valve, which I like to move like a trombone slide. Same on the first valve it has a trigger or a thumb saddle, pharmaceutical grade lanolin if not. The same lanolin on the tuning slide and the 2nd valve slide.

I think a lot of people mix some kind of oil with lanolin or something similar. What does adding cold cream to lanolin do?

Take care,
Marc Speed

I'd hazard that valve oil on the slides wouldn't last terribly long before binding. I like super fast and easy slides too and Bach rotor oil works really well and doesn't evaporate as quickly as most valve oils.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do go through a lot of valve oil on the slides, so perhaps I'll try the rotor oil. Thanks for the idea.

Take care,
Marc Speed
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about the past 30 years I've been using 20 weight non-detergent motor oil. Very hard to find, and I bought a couple of quarts back in the '80s and still have plenty left. Apparently this is used on very old cars. I had to go to the Kendall distribution center to find any and the first question was "what car do you have" When I told him it was for a trumpet he didn't have any idea what to say...
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use rotor oil (find a horn player to borrow some if you want to try it) on 1st/3rd slides. Then I use normal slide grease on tuning and 2nd.

Works fantastic, very fast.

Only exception: big band horn, playing plunger stuff that may involve having the 3rd slide creep out when working the plunger, I put regular slide grease on 3rd for it. Any sort of legit setup gets the much faster/smoother rotor oil instead.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a combination of the cheap slide grease that has the consistency of library paste, combined with a few dabs of Al Cass valve oil. First smear on the grease and then follow-up with a few drops of valve oil. I then work the slide back and forth a few times in order to spread the goodness. This has provided excellent, long lasting slide lubrication.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetmans 4 for 1st and 3rd slides, Schilke slide grease for all others.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke grease on the main tuning slide and 2nd slide. Vaseline on first and third slide. Since I regularly oil thru the leadpipe, the Vaseline gets thins out. Also, oiling thru the leadpipe keeps the Amados lubed and I’ve never had any problems with red rot. I have no problem with oiling daily.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke slide grease all over, with the addition of a few drops of valve oil on 3rd.

Once worked in, the slide moves like a trombone slide. And it lasts.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetman #5. Super slick and perfect for fast moving slides!
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I use the red Selmer slide grease and cut it with a drop or two of Blue Juice on the 1st and 3rd slides.

Hi Dale

I used to think that this was horrible sticky stuff which was difficult to get out of the old-style white square bottle (The new Bach branded bottle (which looks like the current Holton valve-oil bottle) is better in this regard), but I re-tried it after the retailer from which I bought my new old stock (probably v old stock lol) Kanstul made French Besson Classic C, said that they find it to be very good for tight slides. When I first got my C trumpet, I could barely move the main tuning slide, but it works fine with this red grease. Since I don't tend to use the 1st and 3rd slides on my C trumpet much (generally using 1 and 2 for fourth space E when it is not in the middle of a fast run), I use the red Selmer slide grease on all of my C trumpet slides, as this horn sits for weeks at a time in the case when I don't need it, and the Selmer red grease doesn't seem to dry up.

I use the standard Bach tuning slide grease on my regularly horns, cutting it with Yamaha synthetic light valve oil (my valve oil of choice) on the 1st and 3rd slides, because it is reasonably cheap in my neck of the woods, readily available and longer lasting than the super-slick slide grease which I used to use.

I've previously tried lighter slide greases and oils for the 1st and 3rd slides, but find that a couple of drops of valve oil with standard slide grease suffices well enough.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I notice that Schilke slide grease keeps being mentioned. I've never seen Schilke lubricants. Presumably they are available other than supplied with horns.

How does Schilke slide grease differ from the Bach one for example? I can't say I'm particularly fussy about slide grease on instruments I play regularly. As long as the 1st and 3rd slides move fast enough, and the main tuning slide and 2nd, can be moved/pulled easily enough without feeling insufficiently lubricated, it is ok with me.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I came across some Super Lube products in the Automotive section of Walmart several years ago. I get them from Amazon now.

Fast slides: Super Lube 51010 Oil (and add a little valve oil to cut it)
It has a needle-tip dispenser, which comes in handy for dispersing in hard to reach areas. Odorless.

Slow slides: Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease
Virtually odorless...very, very, very faint odor for the super-sniffers out there.

Super Lube grease is also carried by Harbor Freight. Great stuff!

Other lubricants I have tried that work well:

Marvel Mystery Oil, (for 1st and 3rd valve slides). Stinks to high heaven, but not objectionable, as it is "minty", if that floats your boat. I put it in little 1 oz. bottles for case carry. My go-to slide oil...

3 in 1 oil is the same stuff, without the fragrance, but is more expensive, ostensibly because of it's popularity as a household lubricant. A little can goes a long way.

Teflon trailer ball lube (Similar to Super Lube)

For very loose large tuning slides: Lucas Red 'n Tacky grease. Plus, you can lube wheel bearings with it...

Lanolin works great...and is good for your skin. And boots..

The biggest problem with slide lubes, if you use a big-box available product, is you buy a lifetime (and more) supply if you are going to use it exclusively for smearing on you brass instrument tuning slides.

At downbeat, it really doesn't matter much....
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

I notice that Schilke slide grease keeps being mentioned. I've never seen Schilke lubricants. Presumably they are available other than supplied with horns.

How does Schilke slide grease differ from the Bach one for example? I can't say I'm particularly fussy about slide grease on instruments I play regularly. As long as the 1st and 3rd slides move fast enough, and the main tuning slide and 2nd, can be moved/pulled easily enough without feeling insufficiently lubricated, it is ok with me.

All the best

Lou

Schilke Tuning Slide Grease is available separately. It’s not too hard to find in the states.

It’s mostly anhydrous Lanolin - which is great stuff. I don’t know what the red goop is, but I haven’t used since maybe once in Elementary School. There’s better stuff than that goop (Hetman, Superslick, Ultra Pure, Schilke, plain ol Vaseline, Yamaha...).
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to the Ultra pure products.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

All the best

Lou

Schilke Tuning Slide Grease is available separately. It’s not too hard to find in the states.

Hi Crazy Finn

Thanks very much. I've never seen Schilke slide grease in the UK.

It’s mostly anhydrous Lanolin - which is great stuff. I don’t know what the red goop is, but I haven’t used since maybe once in Elementary School. There’s better stuff than that goop (Hetman, Superslick, Ultra Pure, Schilke, plain ol Vaseline, Yamaha...).

No, I don't know what the red goop is either, but it is working on my C trumpet slide.

All the best

Lou

I'm not sure about in the US, but slide grease and valve oil tend to be pretty expensive in the UK and very variable in price. I can get the Bach one for the equivalent of 3.5 US dollars + postage, whereas the Yamaha one costs around 10 dollars + postage, which makes a difference if you want to stock up or order for multiple cases.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's any less costly than the Bach slide grease but the anhydrous lanolin typically comes in a relatively large tube which should go a long way. And it readily available where they sell baby supplies.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: