• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Intro and challenges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDWII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Intro and challenges Reply with quote

Howdy all. 60 yo here, played tons from age 10 to 22. At the end, I was lead in the #2 band (5 full size bands!) at a major university.

I started my college as a music major, but wasnt dedicated enough for performance, and didnt want to teach, so I changed my major to business. That was the beginning of the end, playing was more fun as a non major, but I still faded away.

I still have my '77 Getzen Eterna, and am going to try to start again... Here's the rub...

In the years since I quit, I have developed this "must be excellent" thing about everything I do. I also realize that the 18 year old body does things better than a 60 year old body. Giving myself permission to not be what I used to be is going to be a challenge.

I hope to just have fun. Here's to months of swollen lips.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With age should become increasing wisdom and an awareness of what one can do. At some point, I became content (not complacent!) that I could only do what I could do. The emphasis, then, became on the quality of the process and let the outcome be what it can be. Maybe you could be realistic and use the same thinking process.

Don't misunderstand. I am not suggesting lower standards, just a more realistic prediction of it's time frame and, at your stage of life, an increased satisfaction with the process, itself; taking pleasure in it's continual discovery and letting things unfurl at their own pace.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be patient and kind with yourself.

"Must be excellent" doesn't have to mean "must scream like Maynard."

I put up an impromptu Silent Night on my Facebook page last week. Nothing higher than F on top of the staff. I'd give myself a B+ on it, but it got a huge response from my FB friends. I felt good. The song made people happy for a while.

As Kehaulani says, enjoy the process and you'll have fun. I guess that means different things for different people. I wouldn't touch a method book with a 10-foot pole any more, but I love picking out Hank Williams and Doug Sahm songs by ear and letting it rip.

Find that which makes you love to play. Enjoy the journey, it's greatly rewarding at this point of our lives.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Intro and Challenges Reply with quote

Hello RDWII,
Welcome. Now is your chance to break some bad habits..Maybe you did not have any. You would be the lucky one. Conceptually, you are way ahead of the game. I find myself going back to the Clarke, Colin or Irons book and getting out the recorder on my phone. Low and slow to get the apparatus working with some finesse...and then getting into some community groups to get some cred and exposure
RDWII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Intro and Challenges Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello RDWII,
Welcome. Now is your chance to break some bad habits..Maybe you did not have any. You would be the lucky one. Conceptually, you are way ahead of the game. I find myself going back to the Clarke, Colin or Irons book and getting out the recorder on my phone. Low and slow to get the apparatus working with some finesse...and then getting into some community groups to get some cred and exposure

thanks for the encouragement. Oddly enough, up till two years ago, Christian, I was a neighbor. Cottage Grove.

Best wishes to you all...
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Don't misunderstand. I am not suggesting lower standards, just a more realistic prediction of it's time frame and, at your stage of life, an increased satisfaction with the process, itself; taking pleasure in it's continual discovery and letting things unfurl at their own pace.

+1 Well said!

Welcome RDWII! At 67 years of age and 4 years into my comeback after 14 years away, it took me a while to figure out what my challenges were (are) and taking a sober approach to working through (with) them! At least for me, nothing works like it used to, so a new learning experience has become the immediate payoff, well worth the price of admission!

Best wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
RDWII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have

Schilke 13a4a, 13a4, 15
Bach 7c, 1 1/2c
Giardinelli 1V

Which would you recommend for the starting over process? I used the Schilke's for jazz, so those are out for now.

Probably the good ole 7c?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike reminded me of something. I don't know if it's applicable but when he said, "At least for me, nothing works like it used to . . ", it reminded me that, when I reevaluated what I had learned from the past and the wrong paths I took also, that it gave me a fresh approach to some things.

This was not my ego-ridden goal but a spin-off. I used to have a workable A above the staff, High C in the practice room. After relearning, I had a workable E above High C and a Double High C in the practice room.

The take-away is not the range, but the increase was auxiliary to a re-thinking and more maturity in my approach.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: intro Reply with quote

Hello all,
I would start with the Schilke 15 or the Bach 1.5C. They are both too big for me, though I played a 15B all through HS and college. I have been playing a Schilke M3C for legit stuff and bunch of different Warburtons for other genres and horns.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7C wouldn't be bad if it agrees with you. A lot of folks don't consider it particularly comfortable. If you like that size you might consider the Schilke (or Yamaha) equivalents. 11B4 or 11C4 approximate the Bach 7C with less bite.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mcnairg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is very much like yours. I played from age 10 to about 22, and I was first chair from 7th grade onward—this despite never having taken a private lesson. Real life intervened and my life went off in other directions. I started back 3.5 years ago after a 33 year break. I'm a college professor and play in my school's wind ensemble. Right off the bat I wanted to be the best player in the group and found myself feeling a kind of stress I never felt when I was younger. Part of it is being a prof and just expecting that you're supposed to know more than your students, but a bigger part was feeling that maybe I could have been a pro had I continued. Unfortunately (but actually fortunately) the trumpet section is really good and I just wasn't head and shoulders above the rest of the group like I had been used to. However, unlike the younger version of myself, I have far more discipline than I used to and can say that I'm considerably better than I was when I was younger and am improving all the time. In the last year or so a couple of shifts have taken place. First, I enjoy the trumpet as an instrument for the challenge it poses, and that if I put in the work I get better. It's one of the few areas in life where you can exercise that kind of control. That is a reward in its own right. Second, I realized that I don't have to be as good as a professional nor will I probably ever be Nakariakov or Marsalis. I'm good enough to play everything the ensemble plays, and that's most of the repertoire of pro ensembles. My goal now is to be the best I can be and to have fun along the way. I've said all that to say, I've come to enjoy the challenge of the trumpet, appreciate the effort-reward dynamic that practice involves, and that being able to make music is truly a gift. Now that I'm getting out of my own way, I'm reviving the joy I felt as a teen at just grabbing my horn out of the case on a fall day and playing with my friends in marching band or on a summer night in a funk band! Good luck with your comeback!
RDWII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my goal is to be good enough that I can play in public and not embarrass myself. ahaha...

you'd think I am used this compromise of youth/age...For a number of reasons, I am one of those guys that is busted up beyond understanding. I quit counting at 32 surgeries, and have two more in the near future.

I used to be able to do just about anything I wanted to, physically, and cant now. Heck, I am grateful for the ability to walk.

I am going to give this a good whirl. I have to, now. Lil town Idaho there arent many opportunities to play, but maybe at church with my wife on the piano will do. I still have the sheet music to the Haydn... lol

Thank you all for you input, and your encouragement.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might give the 7C a try and see how it goes.

The 1 1/2C would be my next choice. I've been a Bach mouthpiece player all my life. I have tried some others, but always seem to go back to Bach.

I played a 1 1/4C for many years long ago. Then, I went to a 3C and then a 7C. Each of those has some compromises. The 7C has a sharper rim that helps with precision in articulation and attacks, and centered tone. The 3C has a little bigger and brighter sound, and maybe a slight improvement in flexibility. I can play them both with some minor mental adjustment. I would play those....the 1 1/4C seems a little too big to control nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: