• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lips, Mouthpiece, Horn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Lips, Mouthpiece, Horn? Reply with quote

I've heard about the "lips, mouthpiece, horn exercise" but I don't see any mention of it in the "getting started" threads and it not in Musical Calisthenics. I don't remember seeing it in Flexus either.

Do any of you Caruso students have experience with this exercise? How would you approach it and when do you do it?

I don't have much experience with buzzing and I'm curious about your perspective.

Thanks in advance.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lips, mouthpiece, horn drills were a variation of the buzzing exercises Carmine assigned using certain exercises in the Schlossburg Daily Drills book.

Usually Carmine would have the student play the exercise on the mouthpiece and then on the horn without using valves to change pitch. Changing pitch on the horn was to be done by the lips only.

Sometimes he would assign free buzzing the exercise followed by the mouthpiece and finally on the horn
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrpPro wrote:
The lips, mouthpiece, horn drills were a variation of the buzzing exercises Carmine assigned using certain exercises in the Schlossburg Daily Drills book.

Usually Carmine would have the student play the exercise on the mouthpiece and then on the horn without using valves to change pitch. Changing pitch on the horn was to be done by the lips only.

Sometimes he would assign free buzzing the exercise followed by the mouthpiece and finally on the horn

This is accurate. In my experience,he only gave this to people dealing with certain issues. For me he prescribed it at a point where I was really struggling. I do not think this was something he did with everyone. Therefore, he didn't include it in MCFB (which was made up of the "common denominator" exercises he used with everyone).
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
no_op_ba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lips, mouthpiece, horn is the first thing I do in my current routine. I think it can be a great exercise if you are focussing on the tenants of the Caruso method but can quickly become pointless and even harmful if you are carelessly forcing anything.

Julie Landsman recently put a great youtube series outlining her use of the Caruso method. Here is the video specifically looking at Lips, Mouthpiece, Horn.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well presented and articulated by Ms Landsman. Definitely a 5 star video!

My only criticism would be at 9:20 of the video where she encourages the student to willfully place the tongue forward to make it easier. I never once heard (or heard of) Carmine advising a student to intentionally manipulate the embouchure in any way. He would always say, "Don't think!"... "Do it!" ... "Work the lips!"

Once I told him that by placing my mouthpiece a certain way I would get a clearer tone and my attacks would also be improved. His response.... "Don't do that." He meant for the calisthenic exercises only.

I think the biggest mistake students make with practicing Caruso is to make it there goal to sound good with reduced pressure. Students often believe that playing the calisthenics this way is the yardstick for success. Nothing could be further from the truth. For many of the exercises, making that the goal will actually impede progress and dilute the impact that practicing in this manner will have on your regular non-Caruso playing. The SLS, LSL and TOUNGING come immediately to mind. The goal is ALWAYS to improve your regular music playing. The Caruso calisthenics are NOT music... they are PRE music. That which prepares you to play music.

Everything is timing. Move on the 16th. That's all that a Caruso student should ever be concerned with.

Whew! So that'll be my rant for February. : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: