• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recent range discovery! 0 control over it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Recent range discovery! 0 control over it. Reply with quote

I am in 10th grade. About a week ago I think I figured out how to use my air and embouchure in the upper register. I’m using very little mp pressure, no more than I would use for a G in the staff. My embouchure isn’t very tight or compressed when I’m doing this. My issue is I can’t control pitch at all reliably. It’s a decent sound too. The volume isn’t extremely loud but I’d say it’s forte. Oh I forgot to mention I can get up to about an G above high C consistantly with this change in playing. Any advice with this?
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice playing that way with more control. Don’t play as high as you can. Play the note you’re aiming for. Hold yourself to that standard you want to keep.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent range discovery! 0 control over it. Reply with quote

spencerkotulski wrote:
I am in 10th grade. About a week ago I think I figured out how to use my air and embouchure in the upper register.

I'd be curious to know what you're doing differently with your embouchure to achieve these new results. When you say you're having problems with pitch, do you mean playing notes in tune, or accuracy in playing specific notes? There are numerous ways to produce higher frequencies that ultimately will be useless in a musical setting. It can be entertaining for you, but if it can't be controlled, no one else will want to hear it, other than your high school section mates. That said, there are high note settings that some have had a lot of success using in addition to their primary set-up, e.g. the MF Protocol, Walt Johnson's high-gear/low gear approach, etc.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an embouchure that is very similar to what I use for pedal tones. Not exactly that Though. It’s just a bit more firm amd stabilized if that makes sense. It’s not an issue with being in tune or out of tune but instead an issue with accuracy. When I’m playing it’s a struggle to get the note I want out. And one other issue I have is I can’t seem to slur up from middle register into it.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not going for a lesson with a Bobby Shew, Roger Ingram, Chris LaBarbera, etc... ?
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're playing correctly, control and accuracy in the upper register is *the* problem. It's just basic physics. All string and wind instruments are harder to play accurately in the upper register.

Chances are what you're doing is fine, and now you just need to go and practice. A lot.

Also, you won't be used to hearing/pitching in the upper register for a while. It's a common problem.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Recent range discovery! 0 control over it. Reply with quote

spencerkotulski wrote:
I am in 10th grade. About a week ago I think I figured out how to use my air and embouchure in the upper register. I’m using very little mp pressure, no more than I would use for a G in the staff. My embouchure isn’t very tight or compressed when I’m doing this. My issue is I can’t control pitch at all reliably. It’s a decent sound too. The volume isn’t extremely loud but I’d say it’s forte. Oh I forgot to mention I can get up to about an G above high C consistantly with this change in playing. Any advice with this?

A week into discovering the knack for high notes, (thanks John Mohan), just isn't long enough to gain any sort of control. Don't get ahead of yourself, patient practice is the key here. Try playing simple tunes up a third, than a fifth, than an octave, at first, slowly and not too loud. Until you can play them musically and without making a mistake. Mary had a little lamb type stuff, don't rush,gain control and accuracy in these tunes first. you will gradually gain control of those notes above the staff. congrats on your discovery into the upper register. some people never do find their way around up there.

good luck,

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: