• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson International - restore or discard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berntd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Besson International - restore or discard? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new here.
For over 30 years, I have owned a Besson International made in England trumpet.
My father bought it for in the 1980s at an airforce armybase surplus auction in Cape Town, South Africa.

It was used and the bell was damaged.
The valves are fine and it was quite usable.
It has since started falling apart at the soldered joints but it still looks like a nice trumpet.

Should I try and get it repaired or would that just be a waste of time
and money?
I cannot find any good info on that company and all the older forum links and sites that mentioned it seem dead.

Any opinions links or info are greatly appreciated.

(Sorry, cannot seem to add pics here)

Best regards
Bernt
Rene Janisse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Besson International Reply with quote

I think I might have the same trumpet. My dad had purchased mine in 1970, I am the original owner and have tried to take care of it. My valves were “Micro Bore” I think nickel plated and the plating partially fell off of the 3rd valve, so I found an old Besson 2-20 and remarkably the valves fit perfectly. Plays like new again. My International has a 1st and 3rd valve triggers, the outer slides are nickel plated and the valve block is also nickel plated. I find that it sounds not as bright as other horns, has almost a cornetish sound. I have tried various trumpet mouthpieces and recently tried a Monette that makes an interesting modification. This trumpet has been a fun instrument to own and has carried me through many musical endeavours. I have thought of restoring my trumpet, as it sits at the moment, it doesn’t have any lacquer on it but you would never know by looking at it. I have kept the brass lightly polished.
berntd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
Pity we can't post pictures:-(
Mine is silver plated.
1970! I wonder what serial number you have?
I can send you PM and maybe we can exchange pictures and numbers.

Regards
Bernt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: