• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bill Adam Daily Routine (Beginner)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past two weeks I have devoted myself to following the Bill Adam routine and the results have been fantastic. I just wanted to get some feedback from players who teach using this method...

Because I am a beginner, some of the lessons are outside of my range (mainly the higher lip slurs). When I reach one that is too high I will usually repeat one of the other exercises that are similar within my range. Is this ok?

I sometimes have to rest not only following each exercise but after about 30-45 minutes of study. I can usually do long tones & chormatics followed by some rest and then continue through the rest of the routine. Is this ok?

Thanks in advance for your help as always.
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez... was the above question really that difficult?
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeno,

You're certainly not doing anything wrong with your approach. If you're wondering whether any deviations from the Adam routine will detract from it's effectiveness, the answer is a qualified 'no.'

Provided you understand what is the goal of the Adam routine, you hardly need his written exercises at all. I continue with his routine because I feel comfortable hanging my hat on it, but now I approach everything I play like an Adam study; keeping a musical frame of mind and a full sound. And NOT trying to analyze everything to the 10th degree. (Still working on that one!)

Playing the Adam routine alone is, unfortunately, not as effective as "how" to play the routine. You must find an "Adam" teacher for insight on how to approach your playing. A good teacher will open your sound up fast.

But for now, read ALL the threads in this forum about the Adam approach. There is some great stuff in there. PH does a great job expressing his ideas.

JC.
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JC. I am currently working with a student of Mr. Adam but she is frequently out of town and not available for questions all the time. I will continue on my current course which continues to do me good. I like the idea of applying the same principles to everything that I play.

Take care,
Eric
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was gone. I couldn't access the site for 4 or 5 days.

It isn't what you practice. It is how you go after it. There is no single Adam routine. Whatever you play is done with the focus on relaxation, lots of energized air flowing through the sound, and the most gorgeous tone you can imagine in every register at every dynamic. Rest as much as you play.

Don't play any higher than you comfortably can right now. Keep that opulent sound and that relaxed energy.

Beyond whatever "routine" you are doing, Adam also has people practice most of the Arban book, lots of stuff from Ernest Williams, Getchell, Schlossberg, Clarke, Goldman, Vannetelbosch, Wurm, Charlier...

Just play the parts of routine you can and then move on to some of those things.
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-13 22:00, PH wrote:
Sorry I was gone. I couldn't access the site for 4 or 5 days.

It isn't what you practice. It is how you go after it. There is no single Adam routine. Whatever you play is done with the focus on relaxation, lots of energized air flowing through the sound, and the most gorgeous tone you can imagine in every register at every dynamic. Rest as much as you play.

Don't play any higher than you comfortably can right now. Keep that opulent sound and that relaxed energy.

Beyond whatever "routine" you are doing, Adam also has people practice most of the Arban book, lots of stuff from Ernest Williams, Getchell, Schlossberg, Clarke, Goldman, Vannetelbosch, Wurm, Charlier...

Just play the parts of routine you can and then move on to some of those things.

PH - thanks! I love the concept of using the same thought process for my routine in EVERYTHING I play. I am a member of a community band and I find that I sound better at home when I'm focused compared to when I play with the band... not sure if it's nerves or me trying to focus but I don't think I sound as good. I'm hoping that will change with time.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a while for this approach to become second nature. You have to carry the attitude into your ensemble that all of your playing process must be controlled by the singing trumpet in your imagination. There will be a greater tendency to be distracted in a group setting. Keep your mind on the sound.

Sure, you watch the conductor and follow the written part, but those things are just visual prompts. All of trumpet playing is simply listening to the sounds around you, vividly imagining the sound of the missing trumpet part, breathing in, and breathing out. These things are where 100% of your conscious mental activity is supposed to be. Everything else is entrusted to the unconscious mind.

p.s. As you start to play better and are more efficient in your sound production you should be prepared to get "the hand". In other words, you will start to get more sound (and a better, more resonant sound) with the same amount of work effort. Therefore, the conductor might start asking you to play a bit softer because you are putting the same energy into your playing as before but more is coming out. Don't back off the mental energy. Simply imagine a softer sound.

Mr. Adam says that when you play loud you shout a shout and when you play soft you must shout a whisper!
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat! You have given me a good idea of what my mindset should be when I play not only with the band but when practicing. Fantastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: