• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chop pain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Chop pain Reply with quote

So a week and a half ago after a long camp in which 12 hours practices were done, it left my chops in an odd state. One thing that was strange was noticeable pain in my jawline and difficulty performing in the upper register of my instrument.

A week before the camp itselfI was playing high C's all day and it felt great, and after a lot of thinking, I've decided to put my horn away for a few days.

Three days later, I write this post and I still feel pain in my jawline and well as general discomfort, and I was wondering if anyone knew what to do before I pick up the horn again in two days.

Thank you all in advance!
Auraix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to also mention that the pain I experience is indeed pain, not soreness and I also feel it is important to mention that my pain is much less noticeable when I am actually playing my instrument.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the injury is slowly getting better, then probably just give it more time. See if you can do easy playing in low/mid range w/o any discomfort - maybe now is a good time for soft controlled long note practice.

It might take weeks (months?) for it to fully heal, so don't try to rush it. And plan your schedule so you're not committed to perform.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Chase Domke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
If the injury is slowly getting better, then probably just give it more time. See if you can do easy playing in low/mid range w/o any discomfort - maybe now is a good time for soft controlled long note practice.

It might take weeks (months?) for it to fully heal, so don't try to rush it. And plan your schedule so you're not committed to perform.

Jay

Do that. If there is any pain at all in light playing I’d even say take a break from that. Pain is a big warning sign that something is going on and should NEVER be ignored. Also see a doctor.
Yamaha 9636 Eb/D
Schilke P5-4
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 hour days? Yep, you've torn some muscles, and time off the horn is your friend.

When I've done that, I just limit myself to about 3 5 minute soft long tones. Mine is 'Belavia', by Chuck Mangione, starting on 2nd line G, played as soft as I can. Work the air, and keep the chops as relaxed as you can, should just flow.

Play 5 minutes, rest for 10. You can just do long tones, if you don't get totally bored with them, I do. I would rather play a song, keeps the mind focused.

The goal is to get the blood flowing, without doing any more damage, work out the lactic acid buildup that comes with torn muscles.

When I changed my setup, I got the sore jaw thing for a bit, because I was making a conscious effort to push my jaw forward, to get the bell up. However, that was a complete shift in the way I was playing, and there are tons of great professionals that have the horn tilted down and can play rings around me, nothing wrong with that position for them, was just not working for me.

The goal right now is to let the damaged muscles heal, while not losing everything you gained from the camp. This is temporary, treat it as such.

Forcing anything right now is only going to extend the recovery process.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: