• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip marks ... how much should I worry?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kantundpeterpan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Lip marks ... how much should I worry? Reply with quote

Hello !

I started to play again after 10 years of not really doing any serious stuff on the horn, unfortunately stopped right after high school.

I played occasionally at home, but 6 weeks ago I joined a local brass band. The trumpet lines are rather demanding (compared to what I used to play in high school orchestra and band). Enthusiastically I tried to catch up and normally after rehearsal or the small gigs we play my chops are done (no pain or anything, normal feeling next day) - not really surprising I'd say.

What kind of makes me nervous is the fact, that while jamming around some days ago (also doing high note stuff - or at least what seems high for me - trying to slur up to and beyond high C) I discovered that the area on my top lip between the mouthpiece marks was darker than the rest, kind of violet/blue and slightly swollen, max. one minutes after putting down the horn, it's all gone but also comes back rather quickly when I continue to play.
I definitely remember the round and red mouthpiece marks from the past, but not the blue stuff (maybe I never payed attention?).

As I did not find a lot of information on that - anyone here experiencing the same?

I already decided to take a break for some days and looked for exercises and tips to reduce mouthpiece pressure (any resources?)

Thank for any advice, greets from France
Heiner
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be concerned. I'd recommend trying to spend more of your time doing exercises that refine your approach and less time doing the more punishing range development. Those high impact exercises need to done sparingly. And if your brass band is punishing I recommend that you avoid the typical trumpet inclination to be a hero/masochist and be willing to take things down or just tacet when you need to. The notion that if you destroy yourself at each rehearsal that somehow you'll get stronger is flawed.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lip marks ... how much should I worry? Reply with quote

kantundpeterpan wrote:
... exercises and tips to reduce mouthpiece pressure (any resources?)

------------------------------------
My current thinking and understanding of mouthpiece pressure is
1) Do not use extreme pressure on the upper lip with the goal of 'forcing' a high note.
2) The lip MUST be able to vibrate - not compressed into an immobile position by pressure.
3) The upper lip can be enabled to vibrate by transferring rim pressure OFF of the upper lip and ONTO the lower lip. I do that by slightly moving my lower jaw and teeth forward so more pressure is on the lower teeth, and allowing less pressure on the upper lip & teeth.

reference - https://carlsaunders.com/?p=468

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good brass band sections will employ tactics to look after themselves - if it's high and the sop has it, don't bust your ass putting too much into it (let him have it and vice versa), share the rests around, cut down numbers in quiet passages to create more rests.

Great sections in any discipline require more than just excellent individual players - work together properly and you will always become more than the sum of your parts.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not playing high or loud enough yet to get a ring, and I don’t plan on it. Just going a half step at a time, from easy to easy, and will hopefully get there and beyond without excess pressure.

Seems like as soon as a comebacker says they’re playing again, they get offers to sit in here or there. That’s great, but there’s no shame in starting on the lower parts until your high range happens without strain and extra pressure.

I’m probably too careful, but don’t see the point in trying to play a high c by trying to play a high c (or double c etc). Seems like the real struggle is at the point where easy becomes less easy, and you’re not likely to get a ring by working from there.
kantundpeterpan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice.

I guess, I will just slow down a bit and focus more on the middle and lower register (and all the other important stuff) before going (too) high again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: