• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rest periods during a practice session

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackquill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Rest periods during a practice session Reply with quote

Obviously it's helpful to not spend 100% of your time with your mouth on the trumpet. Some say that 50% of your time should be spent resting, or even more than that; otherwise you are beating your chops up and your progress is limited.

What are some ways to utilize that rest time? Recording yourself playing is one idea. Listening to music and then imitating the style is another way to utilize time. Turning my brain on and thinking about HOW I should practice my current material might be another way to utilize rest time. I've neglected doing these things very often, and these ideas have just occurred to me. I have done all of these on occasion, but I could do much better.

Suggestions?
trumpetmiles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blackquill,

I find recording myself very useful. Firstly, because listening back ensures you're resting as long as you were playing. Secondly, I find it easier to hear the flaws in a recording rather than whilst I am playing so it is very productive for hearing what needs working on.

If you are lucky enough to be practicing with a piano I like playing the next exercise/scale etc. on the piano first (practicing the transposition) which gets the pitches into your head so you can concentrate on your sound when you play it on the trumpet.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said, thinking. It's vastly underrated. I clearly remember having the tie on grad school to sit back, feet on desk and think. It led to interesting thoughts!

I try to do the same with my practice now, rather than push through and get things done by X-time. the is when you think of recording for a purpose, etc.

cheers

Andy
Blackquill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I know listening to yourself can be productive regardless of the quality of your recordings, but... But are there any affordable mics out there that can capture your sound nearly as well as professional recordings?
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on your definition of "affordable," but I cannot think of any mic that is relatively low priced that is comparable to what the pros use. On top of that, the pros are using their mics in a purpose built facility and plugging them into a sophisticated signal chain. Then they are listening to the result through professional monitors. It's impossible to duplicate that without spending some serious dollars.

That said, I'm not sure all that's necessary. Our goal of recording our practice sessions is to point out areas of potential improvement, whereas the pro recordist is making his own work of art for public consumption.

I am fortunate to have a studio with some quality recording gear. It's not comparable to a purpose built commercial studio, but it has pro level acoustic treatment, tube preamps and compressors, etc. I would classify my mics as entry level pro gear, and the least of them cost several hundred dollars. I have recorded myself playing trumpet with that gear, and I have recorded myself playing trumpet with an iPad. The latter method gave me everything I needed for self-critique and improvement. The recording made with the studio gear is a higher quality recording, but the iPad recording tells me what I need to improve on.

Take care,
Marc Speed
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackquill wrote:
Okay, so I know listening to yourself can be productive regardless of the quality of your recordings, but... But are there any affordable mics out there that can capture your sound nearly as well as professional recordings?

A Samson Meteor Mic will do the trick. IT'a an affordable usb mike that records well i my opinion anyway, i use it in conjunction with Audacity to record sax mostly, but its fine for trumpet if your not too crazy, just give yourself a little distance when using it. If i'm recording something important though i will use my Shure Beta clip on condensor mic instead.

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: