• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To practice or not to practice on more shallow mouthpiece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: To practice or not to practice on more shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi again! I wrote a post about heavy practicing on cornet (+deeper mpc) then kinda losing higher register on trumpet (lead - shallow mpc) and got a lot of very thoughtful answers.
Since then (about 2 months now), I decided to do all my practicing on the shallow (Stork) mouthpiece.
And the result is: better range on both horns; I´ve acquired a certainty in my cornet playing like I never had (admittedly I practice a lot more than I ever did), in fact I´ve gotten a more "silky, soft" sound quality on the cornet, more core, more distinct rounder sound on the cornet, better attack, while at the same time my trumpetplaying has become more solid, slotting better etc. I found that practicing cornet the day before a concert is all that is needed. (and of course the transition to trumpet/shallow is affected - but not the other way around)
So now I wonder what´s going on with my chops? Why is this happening?
Ideas? Read somewhere that a more shallow mouthpiece is more demanding?!?
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shallow mouthpiece has helped you form a different embouchure which intrudes less into the deep cornet mouthpiece giving you better sound and control. The assumption that your endurance would suffer on the cornet didn't come true, maybe because you are practicing a lot more. Great that you have hit on a strategy that works - stick with it.
Wick 2BFL
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
The shallow mouthpiece has helped you form a different embouchure which intrudes less into the deep cornet mouthpiece giving you better sound and control. The assumption that your endurance would suffer on the cornet didn't come true, maybe because you are practicing a lot more. Great that you have hit on a strategy that works - stick with it.

So preventing deeper intrusion into the mouthpiece should be a more general formula? All my life I thought that practicing on deeper mpc:s was the trick, more demanding etc. And here I am today discovering the opposite
I can´t say that I´ve been told so before, or even read about it - but it makes sense, not protruding=keeping the vibrating tissues free from un-necessary pressure?
Hmm!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: