• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Next Gen Shew Z Trumpet??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lmgG2_-3Os&t=16s

Looks like there is no new brace on the main tuning slide after all.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Z Reply with quote

Personal preference has so much to do with it.

I recall the discussion on the TH when the 8310z was introduced (2003 or 04?). Half the folks noted they still liked the 6310z better. Someone even mentioned liking the model before the 6310z best.

The most significant change I can see for this model is using a two piece valve block, and I don't know enough to say how much that would really help. Sure seems to be a thing now with horn makers. Even Carol looks like there experimenting with it.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello Ray
what did this MK change? what were you looking for to change?
thanks
best

Basically, the M/K slide greatly fattened the sound as well as making it much warmer. Also, it really opened up the upper register. Honestly, I was completely blown away by how much a tuning slide change improved the horn, any 8310z player should give one a shot IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray - Which slide did you get?

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpearlman wrote:
Ray - Which slide did you get?

Same question here, too. Thanks

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the semi-round SE (braceless) tuning slide in bronze. I highly recommend any custom Z players to contact Mike and Ryan at M/K and have them send you a few to try out, the improvement is pretty amazing IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a previous post I made regarding the new Z:

"We received the new 8310Z-II this morning. I have not had a lot of time with it but will let you know my initial impressions here.

The only real visual difference is the valve buttons and top valve cap. The top cap is more like the caps found on the Artist model horn with a slightly ressesed area when the valve is depressed rather than being flush. The top edges of the valve cap are thin and sharp like the Artist model. Finger buttons also has the knurled sides rather than the formerly smooth. The two models are easy to tell apart by this feature alone.

The venturi measures at .340 rather than .341 for my original Z. I had heard that it would be a hair smaller and measurements bear that out.

The valve block is now a 2 piece and there is a new leadpipe design. I have not played on it much but have liked the few notes a lot! The valve stroke feels much more positive (excuse the expression but one player said more "Bach-like" and I can't disagree.) The 4th space E and Eb are much more in tune than my current Z which tends flat on those notes.

The horn also comes with a new case that looks very similar to the Xeno double case. Leather-ish nice looking and compact.

Response is excellent and the sound seems a bit more contained. Very nice--I am looking forward to playing it more over the weekend."

I have played on it a fair amount since then and can certainly say that I am a fan. The quicker response, tighter core and more positive valve feel are all pluses for me. But with that being said I am not a player the original Z was designed for as I play primarily legit quintet, church, orchestra, etc. but I have found the Z horns to be very versatile instruments that can work in most situations. I have a former student who is a very strong lead/jazz player and he preferred the original 8310Z but thought I sounded better on the new version. I have a M/K sterling slide for the original but the new model did more of what I wanted the slide to do with the other horn.....if that makes any sense!
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
...But with that being said I am not a player the original Z was designed for as I play primarily legit quintet, church, orchestra, etc.....

Scott,

What does your primary Bb give you in these legit situations that the new Z does not?

Thanks,
Jerry
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other Bb is a Yamaha N.Y. and it will certainly light up when pushed but it will not get as edgy, especially in the low register I find I can play loud and blend easier. I think the N.Y also still has more core to the sound but the difference is not as obvious with the new Z.

I had originally started playing the Z middle of last year and found myself using it more and more often. My quintet partner liked mine so much he bought one as well. As I get older the efficiency does not hurt a bit either.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But with that being said I am not a player the original Z was designed for as I play primarily legit quintet, church, orchestra, etc. but I have found the Z horns to be very versatile instruments that can work in most situations

Ron Romm and Jens Lindeman play the Z. Their CB recording of the Goldberg Variations sounds pretty darn legit to me.
jazzr69
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the new 8310Zii at TMEA in San Antonio last week and was so impressed I am looking at buying one. I have not played the original 8310Z though and no stores near me have either one in stock.

Anyone who has played both, can you give more impressions on how they compare? Scott, can you elaborate on why your student preferred the original version and do you have any other thoughts on how it plays now that you have owned it for a couple more weeks?
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzr69 wrote:
Scott, can you elaborate on why your student preferred the original version and do you have any other thoughts on how it plays now that you have owned it for a couple more weeks?

He like the slightly more spread sound of the original 8310Z and thought the blow fit him better. He liked it so much he ended up buying it from me. My impression has not really changed much from the original post in that I like the quick response and slightly "tighter" core. Obviously comments like that regarding the core are subjective and others may describe it differently. Either way I am still quite happy with it and also could have continued with the original with no problem at all.
jazzr69
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!

ScottA wrote:
He like the slightly more spread sound of the original 8310Z and thought the blow fit him better.

Is this meaning the blow is more open in the upper register on the original version and is this with the M/K tuning slide or stock?
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly he thought it was a touch more open and the slots were just a little looser for him. He preferred the original tuning slide. And again....these were pretty slight differences. Both are outstanding instruments IMHO.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ScottA

How do you personally feel that the sound in particular + blow and slotting compare to the Xeno II?

I'm asking, because I play my Xeno II in a symphony orchestra, community light orchestra and Jazz band. I really like the Xeno II overall, but more so for classical playing, and I'm wondering about adding a Shew 8310Z II, as a commercial option.

Additionally, how easy do you feel it is to switch between the Xeno II and Shew 8310Z II?

Are there any similarities in blow and response, since they are both Yamaha trumpets, or are they no more alike than the my Xeno II would be to a more commercial offering from another maker?

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is certainly more resistance on the Z. It does have a smaller bore and considerably smaller venturi size (.340"-.345") . I would not call the slots on my Z loose like they feel on many Martin Committees but they are not as firm as they are on the Xeno and no where near as firm as on the original Chicago Bb that I played for a few years.

I don't think I can answer the question about moving between the two because my whole point in switching to the Z was to only have 1 Bb trumpet! With that being said I don't think you would have too hard a time moving between the two but just as likely you may find that the Z is the only Bb you need.

I find the response quicker on the Z and yes, the sound is somewhat brighter. But, when using a standard mouthpiece (meaning not a shallow lead-style piece) I don't find the sound overly edgy. Many players complain that the Z horns "close down" on them when they are playing in the upper register but obviously players like Bobby Shew and MANY others have no problem with it at all so it is all in how you approach the instrument.

Bottom line--they are different instruments and you really should check one out for yourself to determine if it can work for you. Sorry I could not be more finite!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should get my 8310Z II selected and tweaked by Bobby in the next 3 weeks, i 'm really looking forward to !
In november, Bobby tweaked my 19 years old 6310, and evrything opened up and get easier. The 8310 II new prototype i tried weeks before, untweaked was already a big improvement.
When he tweaked it, it got even way better !
I'm very happy with my tweaked 6310, but when i get the 8310 II this last one will be my favorite.
I'll let you know
best
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would lie to try on of these. I have an older 6310Z which I preferred over the first generation 8310Z. I generally use this horn for more heavy lead playing/commercial playing then my other trumpets.

Side bar: currently playing It exclusively, as I have a fractured elbow and it is the lightest horn I own.

Justin J. Smith
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:

Hi ScottA

Thank you very much, this is really appreciated.

There is certainly more resistance on the Z. It does have a smaller bore and considerably smaller venturi size (.340"-.345") .

Thank you. I'm not sure how I'd feel regarding this, I guess I'd have to try it. I do not like the resistance from larger mouthpiece gaps, and the first thing I did with my Xeno II was to reduce the gap. I think however that it depends for me, on the type and location of the resistance. I may not mind a smaller bore and considerably smaller venturi size.

I would not call the slots on my Z loose like they feel on many Martin Committees but they are not as firm as they are on the Xeno and no where near as firm as on the original Chicago Bb that I played for a few years.

That sounds more promising, as I prefer looser slots, and another reason for reducing the mouthpiece gap on my Xeno II was to loosen the slotting.

I don't think I can answer the question about moving between the two because my whole point in switching to the Z was to only have 1 Bb trumpet! With that being said I don't think you would have too hard a time moving between the two but just as likely you may find that the Z is the only Bb you need.

Thanks very much, I fully understand. I'm pretty keen on my Xeno II, so if I continue to stay with just one trumpet, it probably will be a case of sticking with just my Xeno II, as I find it works so well for me for classical playing.

I find the response quicker on the Z and yes, the sound is somewhat brighter. But, when using a standard mouthpiece (meaning not a shallow lead-style piece) I don't find the sound overly edgy. Many players complain that the Z horns "close down" on them when they are playing in the upper register but obviously players like Bobby Shew and MANY others have no problem with it at all so it is all in how you approach the instrument.

Thanks very much, and I completely agree regarding the last statement.

Bottom line--they are different instruments and you really should check one out for yourself to determine if it can work for you.

I understand and agree, thanks very much.

Sorry I could not be more finite!

There is absolutely no need to apologise. I've found your response to be very useful and informative.

If you don't mind me asking one more question, how do you personally feel that the new Z compares to Yamaha's other commercial offerings, such as the new commercial model (6335RC), the 8335LA and the 8340EM.

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Lou,
if you permit me, i can give you some personal feelings that may help you, i hope.
I've been playing the 6310Z for 18 years, and to get the right freeblow for me (without overblowing) my custom mpcs (except the lead ones) are made with symphonic bb, and #26 throat for classical Bach A depth cups, and #18 throat for cornet, because conventional 27 throats didn't suit.
The horn had got old, and felt tighter, less accurate mostly in these last 12 months, to a point it became really problematic.
Bobby tweaked it in november, and suddenly the sound got as large as with my old Bach strad 43/72* (but easier than with this Bach ; I'll add i'm a jazz & salsa lead).
And i could feel too that for my deep mpcs, it was like if i played with a 1 step larger throat (let's say my 26 throat feels now like a 25 one).

So, Bobby's tweak can really modify the blow and playing of the horn.
And with the new 8310, things are way evident and better and easier.

I could try in the same time the Bergeron & Miyashiro models. They didn't match with me.

hope this will help

best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: