• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Next Gen Shew Z Trumpet??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nkolisnyk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lmgG2_-3Os&t=16s

Looks like there is no new brace on the main tuning slide after all.

ICK! Those valve buttons look so Bach-y!

FWIW, I switched solely to a Z as well, because I just wanted to really get to know one, well playing trumpet. When I owned a Strad, I was always looking around at the more flavourful trumpets. Once I found this one, my safari was over. Sounds like a good marriage...

www.rupertslandbrass.ca
www.nafrodance.com
www.cnhussi.com
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
ScottA wrote:

If you don't mind me asking one more question, how do you personally feel that the new Z compares to Yamaha's other commercial offerings, such as the new commercial model (6335RC), the 8335LA and the 8340EM.

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

Lou[/b]

Lou,

I don't have an in depth answer but here is what I can tell you regarding my take on the models I have played:

6335RC- I have never even seen one of these! Sorry!
8335LA-A very nice horn but much too open for me. It feels like the resistance is quite a ways down the leadpipe and I prefer it a little closer to the mouthpiece. When I play one of these I feel like I am falling into it!
8340EM-Honestly the only Yamaha trumpet I have ever not liked at all! I played a very early model a number of years ago so it may have changed since then but I did not like the sound or feel of the one I played. I don't recall much about it except that it was extremely light. But again it is not a horn designed for the kind of playing I do. Believe me, I will never be confused with a commercial lead player!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello Lou,

Hi JVL

if you permit me, i can give you some personal feelings that may help you, i hope.

Your input is most welcome, thank you very much.

I've been playing the 6310Z for 18 years, and to get the right freeblow for me (without overblowing) my custom mpcs (except the lead ones) are made with symphonic bb, and #26 throat for classical Bach A depth cups, and #18 throat for cornet, because conventional 27 throats didn't suit.

Thanks very much. It is sounding more and more like it isn't worth trying the Z. I play custom James R New/Kanstul mouthpiece components. My top is a copy of my 2005 Bach 3C (27 throat). My backbore is a custom James R New backbore, which rather than his S backbore (which is a Bach 10 backbore, with if I remember correctly, the backbore reamer inserted further like on Arturo Sandoval's Mt. Vernon 3C), is Jim New's version of a standard Bach 10 backbore. I use this combination on my Xeno II Bb, Bach 37 and F Besson Classic C, with a James R New 6.5 sleeve on my Xeno II and C trumpet, and a James R New 6.25 sleeve on my Bach 37. I also use the same top on cornet, but with a standard Kanstul B10 cornet backbore. In a nutshell, I am using a James R New Bach 3C copy on all trumpets and cornet, and have dialled in my mouthpiece gap on all my trumpets. To be perfectly honest, other than possibly changing sleeve, I have no plans to change any other aspect of my mouthpieces, and definitely wouldn't want to move away from a 27 throat.

The horn had got old, and felt tighter, less accurate mostly in these last 12 months, to a point it became really problematic.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Bobby tweaked it in november, and suddenly the sound got as large as with my old Bach strad 43/72* (but easier than with this Bach ; I'll add i'm a jazz & salsa lead).

I'm really pleased to hear this.

And i could feel too that for my deep mpcs, it was like if i played with a 1 step larger throat (let's say my 26 throat feels now like a 25 one).

So, Bobby's tweak can really modify the blow and playing of the horn.
And with the new 8310, things are way evident and better and easier.

All interesting, thanks very much.

I could try in the same time the Bergeron & Miyashiro models. They didn't match with me.

hope this will help

It does really help, thanks very much.

best

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
ScottA wrote:

If you don't mind me asking one more question, how do you personally feel that the new Z compares to Yamaha's other commercial offerings, such as the new commercial model (6335RC), the 8335LA and the 8340EM.

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

Lou[/b]

Lou,

I don't have an in depth answer but here is what I can tell you regarding my take on the models I have played:

8335LA-A very nice horn but much too open for me. It feels like the resistance is quite a ways down the leadpipe and I prefer it a little closer to the mouthpiece. When I play one of these I feel like I am falling into it!
8340EM-Honestly the only Yamaha trumpet I have ever not liked at all! I played a very early model a number of years ago so it may have changed since then but I did not like the sound or feel of the one I played. I don't recall much about it except that it was extremely light. But again it is not a horn designed for the kind of playing I do. Believe me, I will never be confused with a commercial lead player!

Hi ScottA

Thanks very much, this is really appreciated.

I'll reply tomorrow.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ScottA"]
Louise Finch wrote:

Lou,

Hi ScottA

Thanks very much, this is really appreciated.

No worries, I've only seen it on websites.

Interesting, thanks. I feel that the resistance is further down the leadpipe on my Yamaha Xeno cornet. I have a feeling that this may partly be owing to this cornet, like a lot of short model cornets, having no actual mouthpiece gap. I really like my Xeno cornet, but whether I'd like this feel on a trumpet I don't know. I quite like the feel on open horns, but whether my endurance would hold up on one, I'm not sure. I have a feeling however that the LA may be more to my taste than the Z.

No, me neither. My sound concept is pretty classical, hence why I successfully manage to play cornet in a British brass band and trumpet in a symphony orchestra, with a 3C top and standard Bach 10 backbore.

And irrespective of my sound concept, there is nothing about my approach or range lol, that would ever result in me being confused with a commerical lead player either.

The more I'm typing, the more I think that I should stick with my Xeno II.

Take care and thanks very much again.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
nicklambo700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
ScottA wrote:

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

Lou[/b]

Lou,

I’m interested by what you would think of my horn then. It’s an early Miyashiro prototype, before the 8340EM. It’s just the YTR-83. Closer to a 6310Z, slightly larger slides though.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shew Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Did the previous 6310/8310z horn have a one or two piece valve casing?Seems like the two piece casing is catching on with horn makers. It certainly had positive feedback with the 190 Bach horns.
Looks like the new 'Z' horn has a tuning slide brace as well. Brent S

"Everything old is new again."
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an 8310z a couple of months ago because they were being cleared out to make way for the new model. 25% off, so it was worth buying.

My son had a 6310z and I never got on with it. It was a bit more loose feeling to me than the ‘8310z. The 8310z is not as dense sounding as a Bach, but if you want to make it more Bach like just screw on a Denis Wick tone ring.

It’s a really versatile instrument. I wouldn’t want to play it in the big Germanic literature, but I use rotary for that anyway.
Maybe the new version will be even more cross over?
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Clarkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJGCZV2j8I
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an embedded link of Trent playing the new Z. We will hopefully post more videos later this week of the new horn. TY, ACB

Link

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
Bigelow-Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: New Yamaha Shew Trumpet Reply with quote

Thompson Music is a Yamaha dealer and has the new Shew trumpet in stock!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Trent!!! Nice demo! That horn is very pretty too.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
My other Bb is a Yamaha N.Y. and it will certainly light up when pushed but it will not get as edgy, especially in the low register I find I can play loud and blend easier. I think the N.Y also still has more core to the sound but the difference is not as obvious with the new Z.

I had originally started playing the Z middle of last year and found myself using it more and more often. My quintet partner liked mine so much he bought one as well. As I get older the efficiency does not hurt a bit either.

I just picked up the new Z (in silver) today. I wasn't planning on it but the horn blew me away. I'm getting the most incredible overtones from it.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
have you try several exemplars of the new Z, and did you find differences or consistency?
thanks
MahlerIsTheMAN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at Cadence Music in Fort Myers and we are a Yamaha Shokunin dealer. We got 3 of these horns in as soon as they were released. Dan Miller played through them and ended up taking one home with him. He did a quick write up on the horn that you might find interesting.

"I've been playing the new Bobby Shew Yamaha YTR-8310Zll all day and it's an absolutely beautiful horn. Dark and the overtones are buzzing...ballads all day long. History note: The horn on top is my 1989 6310B with the experimental bell Bob Malone put on the horn in 1991 in LA when he and Bobby Shew were developing the Z bell. They sent 12 experimental bells from Japan of various thicknesses and Bobby play-graded them from 1 to 12. I took number one most live and Roger Ingram took number 12 with the least amount of feedback behind the bell.

Thanks to Tom Kracmer and Todd Handley of Cadence Music (Yamaha Dealer Fort Myers, FL)"

We will have a few tables setup at the ITG conference in Miami this summer and should have these horns available for play test and purchase. Come by and say hi to us!

Chris
agroovin48

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the posts from Louise. Thank you for asking so many good questions. I am sure that you have saved many people quite a bit of time by exploring the opinions of those who have played the various models.

It sounds to me like you are seriously considering pulling the trigger on the purchase of a new 8310Z II. I thought very seriously about getting a 8310Z for a couple of years and then finally made a fabulous deal on a brand new 8310Z about two years ago. Before that, I already had a Yamaha Xeno II RGS.

The Xeno II RGS is an incredible trumpet with the sweetest sound I have ever heard. It is super responsive, the slots are not too tight, it is super easy to play and there is some indescribable quality to the honey like sound that made me fall in love with it immediately.

The 8310 Z is even easier to play and so nimble up and down the scale and the high register is so easy. The sound can be dark or bright depending on your set up and how you want it to sound. It is a fabulous trumpet. So, I am sure that the new Z will be even better. Switching between the two will be a problem because you will have two favorite trumpets and you will feel guilty about slighting one of them in favor of the other.

If you make the purchase you will not regret it.

Alan Cahill

1933 Conn Victor 80A Cornet
King Legend 2070
Adams A1V2
Roel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Here's the Yamaha website:

https://sg.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/winds/trumpets/bb_trumpets/ytr-8310z_02/index.html

The trumpet in the top picture is the Yamaha RC! Oops!
www.presidentsofantarctica.com
www.aachen-bigband.de
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahlerIsTheMAN wrote:
I work at Cadence Music in Fort Myers and we are a Yamaha Shokunin dealer. We got 3 of these horns in as soon as they were released. Dan Miller played through them and ended up taking one home with him. He did a quick write up on the horn that you might find interesting.

"I've been playing the new Bobby Shew Yamaha YTR-8310Zll all day and it's an absolutely beautiful horn. Dark and the overtones are buzzing...ballads all day long. History note: The horn on top is my 1989 6310B with the experimental bell Bob Malone put on the horn in 1991 in LA when he and Bobby Shew were developing the Z bell. They sent 12 experimental bells from Japan of various thicknesses and Bobby play-graded them from 1 to 12. I took number one most live and Roger Ingram took number 12 with the least amount of feedback behind the bell.

Thanks to Tom Kracmer and Todd Handley of Cadence Music (Yamaha Dealer Fort Myers, FL)"

We will have a few tables setup at the ITG conference in Miami this summer and should have these horns available for play test and purchase. Come by and say hi to us!

Chris

Hello Chris,
Have you found consistency between the different exemplars of the Z II , or some little differences ? if so, which ones ?
Many thanks
Best
MahlerIsTheMAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris,
Have you found consistency between the different exemplars of the Z II , or some little differences ? if so, which ones ?

We received 3 of these horns in. Dan played through all of them for comparison. He ended up picking the one that responded the best in the upper register with the cup mute in. He noted that the horns were very consistent.

On a side note I brought one of these to show yesterday to try out. My colleague ended up on it for most of the show and he liked it so much he is going to purchase it. He said it was similar to his Schilke but it responded a little better and was more consistent from the low to higher registers.

Hope this answers your question!

Chris
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahlerIsTheMAN wrote:
...He said it was similar to his Schilke but it responded a little better and was more consistent from the low to higher registers. ...

Do you know which Schilke model he was comparing this Shew to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: