• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High Notes Critique and Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitzy64

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: High Notes Critique and Help Reply with quote

Here is a link to me playing trumpet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXShV3yiIm4&

Sorry for the quality but I was wondering if I could have some tips for high notes and working up to them from what I have here.

Thanks!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy new year
why not starting 2019 by having a lesson with a Master such as Bobby Shew, Roger Ingram, Chris LaBarbera...
where do you live?
best wishes
fitzy64

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southeastern United States.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having real range doesn't mean the ability to play high notes. Having real range means having command of the high notes. However, having command of the high notes isn't worth much if you don't have command of the lower notes.

My point is this: You build real range from the bottom up. Having command of the lower range and command of the mid range is foundational to developing command of the high range. If you don't have command of the low range and mid range your high chops aren't worth much because so much of what you're called on to play is low and mid range. So, to be able to hit the double G when you clam everything else isn't worth much.

You need to focus at least as much on accuracy in the low and mid range as you do on developing accuracy in the high range. The issue is not playing high notes. Lots of players can play high notes. What distinguishes the great high note players is their accuracy. They don't miss in the high range or in the low and mid range. So, any exercises that improve your accuracy in the low and mid range are relevant to improving your accuracy in the high range.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated and dead on, HERMOKIWI.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with Hermokiwi's post; you need to build from the bottom up. You're already able to get up well above high C - that's great! You have a head start over a lot of players in the range department.

However, your fundamental tone production needs a lot of work, in all registers. Check out the exercises of Stamp and Cichowicz, and (as many others will tell you) get with a teacher who can show you how to practice them. Focus on learning how to make a sound EXACTLY when you want to. Practice playing a middle G, and work for a clean and beautiful attack that is not forced. Strive for immediate clarity. Air balls are no good, fuzzy attacks are no good, etc. When you've made substantial progress in the staff, expand to the high and low range. It's a life-long project!

If you want to be a great high note player, you need to be a great all-around trumpet player! Spend some time on range each day, but do not obsess. Consistently practice good fundamentals, and your range will be fine. Good luck!
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well worth the time to watch this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Am03K7QDI

Also listen to Bobby play lead, Jazz, etc.

Pete
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched your youtube (too slow connection), but here are soem general thoughts and suggestions.
1) Only try (or practice) your high notes in PRIVATE. Doing it when other people are around is annoying to them, and only demonstrates what you CAN'T do. Everybody knows one of 'those guys'.
2) Being able to sometimes being able to 'sound' or 'hit' a high note doesn't mean you can PLAY that high. Don't exaggerate your actual 'playable in public' range. From an old Clint Eastwood 'Dirty Harry' movie - "a man has to know his limitations".
3) As mentioned earlier, DEMAND good sound quality from yourself. Be able to play a good sounding note at the right time. And train yourself to do intervals with good quality - e.g. the various major scale notes with the low note always as the first of the interval, and then step wise upwards.
4) Bad sounding notes can't be played high enough to be good.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Well worth the time to watch this:

Link

Also listen to Bobby play lead, Jazz, etc.

Pete

Great video!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a private teacher? No? Get one. And that’s NOT intended as a criticism of what you posted.

NO OFFENSE INTENDED here, but forums and Youtube are no substitute, we all benefit from private lessons from a qualified teacher.

Best of luck.

Brad
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. I am also in high school, so you can choose to think about my post or ignore it. The above posters are completely correct, I just wish to add my take.

I watched your whole video. I am impressed with the notes you could play. It sounds like you have spent a lot of time into improving your range. You have taken the time to make this post so of course range is something you care about. I am glad that you are trying to improve! However I do have some thoughts of your process.

First, you must remember that progress on the trumpet is not by hitting the next note higher. Progress is sound quality, technical ability, musicality, flexibility, and much more other than range.

It seems like you try to squeak as high as possible to improve your range. I once did this. I spend weeks and weeks trying to squeak higher and higher, CONVINCED that the higher I could squeak, the higher I could ply, and that the squeaks would soon become full notes. I squeaked an E and I was thrilled. Then higher and higher and I even squeaked a few double C’s. I did this for months, only worrying about playing higher. I gained just a half step to my usable range, and lost months worth of skill I could have gained. You have made these very high squeaks sound decent, and you have gotten higher than I ever did. But you do not have an easy, on command high C. If you can eek a triple C but do not have a reliable high C, your range is not adequate. Practicing as high as possible will NOT help build your high C or your middle and lower registers. Work your way up, not your way down.

I would like to offer you a suggestion that may help improve your range. I could tell you to practice Arban and Clarke (which would make you better than adding notes will) but your question was range. I am going to suggest very very very soft practicing! This will help you control your aperture and give you greater command of your upper register. Vizzutti’s “High Notes for Trumpet” is phenomenal in this regard. Next, I’d like to suggest Pops’s pyramis approach. Play more and more high Cs each day, then D’s, until each is comfortable, but no more Ds than Cs, and Cs than Bs, etc. work your way up.

And do your best to get a teacher!
fitzy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all your help! I do have a private teacher, but I was wondering other people's methods for range improvement. Everything stated in the thread and the video link were all helpful! Thank you all very much for your support and I wish you all a happy New Year!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want it straight?

You have far more basic issues you need to focus on than high notes. You need to work on the fundamentals of sound production. Forget all that dry-lip squealissimo fake high-note stuff - it doesn't sound good, it's not useful for anything.

Work on being able to play with a full, solid sound in and below the staff. Work on playing a nice, full-bodied, cleanly-articulated, in-tune one octave C scale. Then C#, D, etc. Then when you can play a C to high C scale, work on two-octaves C - clean, solid, full-bodied, C# etc.

If you're taking lessons and you're doing what they advise, I recommend looking for a different teacher.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fitzy64 wrote:
Thank you guys for all your help! I do have a private teacher, but I was wondering other people's methods for range improvement. Everything stated in the thread and the video link were all helpful! Thank you all very much for your support and I wish you all a happy New Year!

I’m glad to hear you do have a teacher, that’s the way to go!

A few questions: have you discussed this with that person? If so, what did they say? How much do you practice every day? DO you practice every day? Do you believe that your teacher is helping you in general?

This forum is a great place to learn, and most of us are happy to welcome new young players to this place. Just bear in mind that ANYONE can post anything anywhere on the internet, so the best person to answer questions about range or any other aspect of your playing is probably your teacher.

And welcome to TH, hope you stick around.

Brad
fitzy64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
fitzy64 wrote:

I’m glad to hear you do have a teacher, that’s the way to go!

A few questions: have you discussed this with that person? If so, what did they say? How much do you practice every day? DO you practice every day? Do you believe that your teacher is helping you in general?

This forum is a great place to learn, and most of us are happy to welcome new young players to this place. Just bear in mind that ANYONE can post anything anywhere on the internet, so the best person to answer questions about range or any other aspect of your playing is probably your teacher.

And welcome to TH, hope you stick around.

Brad

I have discussed range with my instructor, and she has told me piano arpeggios going up chromatically is the way to improve range. I try to practice every day but am sometimes unable due to all the work I do for school and other activities. Yes, I believe that my teacher is helping me in general.

Thanks! I'll be sure to stick around as long as I play the trumpet.

1967 Bach Stradivarius 37
Yamaha Eric Miyashiro 1
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
You want it straight?

You have far more basic issues you need to focus on than high notes. You need to work on the fundamentals of sound production. Forget all that dry-lip squealissimo fake high-note stuff - it doesn't sound good, it's not useful for anything.

I agree with the general intent of this statement. The high notes you demonstrated are not useful in a musical setting. Many a young player has traveled down a path of chasing phantom high notes, to the exclusion of developing solid fundamentals. It’s the fundamentals that will make you a good player, which just so happens to be the foundation of a solid upper register. The good news is you ARE able to produce those frequencies, which suggests you may be advantaged in a way that will allow you to develop an upper register easier than the average player. Shift your focus away from the playing you demonstrated in the video, and get after developing your sound and endurance below high C.

Do you use the same embouchure set when producing your high notes as you do in your middle register? If not, it will limit you musically. Some have found success with playing on a separate set for high notes, e.g. Arturo, Lynn Nicholson, Walt Johnson, etc. but it requires a reset, which isn't always practical when a musical phrase spans multiple registers. I would't go down that road unless the notes you're producing with an alternate set are fat and loud. Playing your entire range on one setting is the goal to have. If you have an effective second setting that works really well for high notes, then the goal is to either play your lower register with that set, or find a way to smoothly transition between the two. Easier said than done. For now, I suggest developing good sound and endurance below high C. I think you'll find it turns some of those phantom notes you have today into real playable notes.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: