• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Graduate School Options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jollypear

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Graduate School Options Reply with quote

I'm quickly approaching my final year of my undergrad performance degree, auditions are looming, and I still don't know the right places to set my sights for my MM.

I can put together some of the big name schools easily enough (and have decided that my pipe dream school is Rice), but to be comfortable, I would like to apply to some schools the next tier down, like some other state schools. I'm currently based in the Midwest, but a flight or two would be manageable for me. My current trumpet professor has suggested I look into Ball State, and I think Stephen Campbell is a buddy of his.

Who are some of the good names in smaller/underrated schools like these? I potentially could have a DMA in my future so could have another school later as well.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing my research, I chose to do all my degrees at Peedwater Community College
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend Peedwater. Bob Pixely is a great player and has no doubt turned out some great players, but I've heard he doesn't really care about most of his students. If you don't fit inside a really narrow box and aren't willing to give up any personality to your playing, he'll make you miserable.
Bobby G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Grad school options Reply with quote

Greetings!

A great program with a monster teacher is Frost at the University of Miami. People often forget about us down in the southern tip of America, but the program is very solid, and has lots of money to give. Craig Morris teaches his small and serious studio, coaches chamber music, and has a weekly studio class. He is a monster player (plays all around the world with major orchestras and as a soloist), and gives you a taste of what it takes to make it. He consistently puts kids into New World Symphony, major teaching jobs, brass quintets and orchestras. Check him out online recently performing at NTC with UNT Wind Symphony or on his recent solo recital tour. Both are on YouTube.

Bobby G
liscagle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anderson University is good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: