• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mystery (or maybe not) Elkhart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdrianCYP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Mystery (or maybe not) Elkhart Reply with quote

Hello All,
Just joined today - have used the site a resource previously so looks like a good place to be!!
So... during my musical midlife crisis I have made a couple of purchases:
- Holton ST302
- Phaeton Las Vegas Flugel
& then the reason for this mail.
I have purchase what was described as "Elkhart Series II" in Silver from a well known auction site. It looked to me a Phaeton 2050 without the gold bits - I have been in contact with Phaeton (Pete) & was advised that they knew & stopped this "counterfeit" some years back. I thought something wasn't quite right when I purchased it but the price was right & I was looking for a second horn - does anyone know the Elkhart side of the story?
Cheers,
Adrian [/img]
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen similar. Cheap Chinese knock-off. The Elkhart bit comes from the city of of Elkhart Indiana, where a lot of instruments are/were made.

Sorry to say, I've played one and it is terrible. Flip it for whatever you can get, save and buy a good horn.

cheers

Andy
AdrianCYP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
Unlike the guy who sold this ,together with a double trumpet gig bag, he dropped a lot of money - we had email exchange after the purchase - he was sold a pup.

So for a hundred & something sterling I have got what I paid for - I plan to use it at my parents, so as long as I have my mouthpiece I'll get some air through it. As I mentioned, I own a Phaeton Las Vegas, & Holton MF,so this was really a curiosity. (I might have actually purchased an instrument that I am better than for once!)

The reason for the post was to see what info came from the manufacturer about it. Or, as in many cases involving the PRC was it a reverse engineered instrument sold by the Chinese, as opposed to one being manufactured in China on behalf of an instrument maker?

Cheers,
Adrian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: