• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pickett D or E cup with 10-2/24?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Pickett D or E cup with 10-2/24? Reply with quote

Anyone here play on a pickett setup I mention in the title? I currently play on a 2C or 2CD on a 10-2/24 backbore. I am looking for something that lights up more and will ease my upper register a bit. I know to not look for extra range or endurance in the mouthpiece so that is not really my point. I figure the direct change is a more shallow cup for the brighter tone and some more compression in the cup. I have tried more efficient setups with tighter throats and backbores but always found that I have not develop enough as that kind of an efficient type player for it work for me much pass 10 minutes or so (and I play in orchestra and occasional church gig that the 2C or 2CD works wonderfully). I would like to stick to the 10-2/24 backbore as I like the blow of it and it works for me. So any experience opinions out there about said setup?
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also would you go from the 2C to say a 3D or 4D for a slightly small ID?
coxmusic1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a Pickett 2C to a 4C with the your same backbore and throat. My C trumpet setup is the Pickett 4BC with with the OS backbore. My sound did brighten up some but nobody noticed but me. Range did not increase that much but what range I do have became more stable. Flexibility decreased at first but improved after a few weeks.

Good luck with your search.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any mouthpiece discussion it's all relative. That being said, I use a 5C 10-2/27 for most of my playing. If I have a commercial gig, like certain musicals, I might switch to a 5D but I usually also switch to the 10-5/27 bb. When I first used the 10-5 it seemed too tight but as I adjusted and allowed it to help me along I found it very very fun to play.

If I use the 5D with my 10-2 I do get a bit more edge or brightness, but the added benefit of the efficiency isn't really there.
I've only played an E cup a short bit and found it too shallow. Maybe I'll try it again though and give it more of a chance.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off thanks for the shared opinions. Was starting to think i was asking a question that either no had done or was really stupid.

I been wanting to downsize just because i know i have not had the available practice time to be reliable in all of my range on a 2C without resulting in tension or pressure in longer or more taxing rehearsal/performance which means missed notes and less endurance(and as i am really more and more, the Pickett seems to run larger than their peers).

My guess is that the sound in my mind does not match the sound the tighter backbore produces for me so i start to overblow or muscle to get the fuller bore sound. So i guess my solution for that is to change my mental sound to a more compact sound and learn restrain or stay on the bigger backbores. For now, i am wanting keep as similar blow feel between a C cup or D cup so i want to stay on the 10-2/24.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
As with any mouthpiece discussion it's all relative. That being said, I use a 5C 10-2/27 for most of my playing. If I have a commercial gig, like certain musicals, I might switch to a 5D but I usually also switch to the 10-5/27 bb. When I first used the 10-5 it seemed too tight but as I adjusted and allowed it to help me along I found it very very fun to play.

If I use the 5D with my 10-2 I do get a bit more edge or brightness, but the added benefit of the efficiency isn't really there.
I've only played an E cup a short bit and found it too shallow. Maybe I'll try it again though and give it more of a chance.

Do you have to do things drastically different between the 10-2 and 10-5? I want to try to keep my approach from changing as possible.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
acritzer wrote:

Do you have to do things drastically different between the 10-2 and 10-5? I want to try to keep my approach from changing as possible.

I don't know if I change my approach at all, but the response that the mouthpiece produces varies quite a bit. I can basically do everything I want with either setup, it's just that certain things are easier with each one.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some feedback about what I am using.
1. I play a Pickett 2C with 10-2 backbore, 27 throat for legit playing and small group jazz.
2. 2E with a 10-5 backbore 27 throat for jazz, and big band playing. The thing I like about the 2E/10-5 combo is I can get a big sound warm sound that is not too shrill. Upper register is also very easy. Intonation is solid on all Picketts.
3. I also have a Pickett 2FL Flugel mouthpiece. Easy to switch between the three mouthpieces with the same rim. I am looking at a FLM or possibly an AR resonance for a darker sound.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have been messing around with the AR resonance mouthpieces. They are also great but in a different way.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just never sit well with tight backbores (I am not an efficient enough player is my guess). I fill my sound gets tight up a bit even on a 10-3. It has the articulation punch as said in the description but even in a rehearsal where i started with the 10-3 and then swtich to a 10-2, my fellow trumpeter mention that my sound got bigger and better on the 10-2 and that he could hear me much better after. I think my mental sound image does not match the sound on the tighter backbore and I then overwork on it which is the wrong way. Hence the D/E cup with the 10-2/24 setup question. I order a 3D to tryout and just waiting for it now.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
I just never sit well with tight backbores (I am not an efficient enough player is my guess). I fill my sound gets tight up a bit even on a 10-3. It has the articulation punch as said in the description but even in a rehearsal where i started with the 10-3 and then swtich to a 10-2, my fellow trumpeter mention that my sound got bigger and better on the 10-2 and that he could hear me much better after. I think my mental sound image does not match the sound on the tighter backbore and I then overwork on it which is the wrong way. Hence the D/E cup with the 10-2/24 setup question. I order a 3D to tryout and just waiting for it now.

I just got a 3D/25 from Pickett and am working with practicing on it. It seems fine w/the 10/3 backbore I usually use. The 10/5's are just too raucous a sound for my taste, no matter what top I'm using. I have some 10/2 backbores but I need to get them cut for sleeves; can't tell much without being able to adjust the gap correctly.

Peter Pickett told me that the 10 series is the same cutting tool being used in various degrees for the backbore - 1 is farthest in and 5 is least cut in.
https://yourbrass.com/
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update on my 3D with 24 throat experience. It has been a lip saver with the musical show that I did with the high school. It allows me to sit on top tonal over the pit.

I however did not like it with the 10-2 backbore like I thought I would and have been using it with the 10-3 instead.

I do much like the 24 throat setup for the blow though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: