• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 37

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
Like Zaferis, I have a 19037 and a Bach Commercial trumpet, although mine is the large bore model. They are both very versatile. If I could have only one, it would be the Commercial, but mainly because of its low resistance. I can put my Bach symphonic 1.5C mouthpiece on it, and it's fine for legit work.

Hi Marc

Thank you very much.

My 19037 has a 25-O leadpipe, which I installed in a successful effort to lower the resistance, along with a "C" shaped tuning slide. I like it, and I could be very happy if it were my only trumpet, but I came upon a very attractive deal on the Commercial trumpet and bought it. I have not been able to bring myself to selling the 19037, but after getting the Commercial Trumpet, I rarely play the 19037. It's not that I dislike the 19037, but I like the Commercial Trumpet better. I agree that the 19037 is a 18037 on steroids.

In the upper register, I find the Commercial Trumpet is simply easier for me to play. To my ears, the two trumpets sound quite similar in the middle register. As you might anticipate, the Commercial lights up a bit more in the upper register, but it's not as bright as, say, a Selmer CG.

Thank you very much for all of the above.

I see a fairly large number of the Bach Commercial trumpets for sale second hand, considering that it's not been on the market but a few years. I guess they are not everyone's cup of tea. I bought mine for $2,100, and it did not have a scratch or dent on it. That's about a third less than the price of a brand new one. If you get a chance to play one, you may be surprised at its versatility. I tried both the ML and the LB models, and simply preferred the LB. Your mileage may vary.

I'm glad to hear that you really like your Bach Commerical LB trumpet.

The frequent appearance of the Bach Commercial trumpets on the used market might make one of them attractive to you from a budgetary standpoint. You might even find that with it and a couple of different mouthpieces (see my example above of the Bach symphonic mouthpiece), you may be able to have just a single trumpet for all of your playing.

I'll give this some thought, thanks very much again.
Take care,
Marc Speed

Take care also

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
About the sticking valve on your Bach.

I had similar problem on my King. A good repair tech suggested that I try a heavier valve oil.
That WORKED!

I use 'drug store / druggist / pharmacy' Mineral Oil on the valves and slides - undiluted on the slides. After applying to the valves, add a drop or 2 of regular light Petroleum valve oil to get good valve action. And re-apply a drop of the the regular valve oil when the valve eventually gets sluggish.

There is likely a variety of special weight valve oil that would work, but I'm very happy with using the MO.

Jay

Hi Jay

Thanks very much. This is very good advice and I'm very glad that it has worked for you, but I've tried this many times, and the first valve is worse with thicker oil.

Thanks very much anyhow.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laser170323 wrote:
I know you're in the UK, but you might want to consider ordering a blueprinted horn from Osmun Music. You won't have to worry about selecting a lemon; you'll know the horn is as good as it can be. It brings any ordinary Bach to the next level, whatever model you order.

Hi laser170323

Thanks very much. Definitely something to consider.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 37 Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:

Hi Lou,

Hi Tom

the most glaring part of your post is the new leadpipe added part.
This could be the reason you feel this horn is better for your "commercial playing".

This could be the case. I didn't mention earlier, but this leadpipe is odd in that there doesn't appear to be any ledge at the top of the leadpipe, like I can feel with a toothpick on my Bach 184ML cornet, and can even see when I shine a torch (flash light) down. The edge of the leadpipe appears to be flush with the mouthpiece receiver. It looks like there is a ledge at the top of the leadpipe when you look straight down the receiver, but when you look slightly from the side, you can see it is just a flat ring. I've just checked with a cotton bud (Q-tip) and there is definitely no lip. It is not my technique of feeling for the lip, as I can easily feel it with the cotton bud on my Xeno II.

I thought that Leigh had said that he had changed the leadpipe, but he could of course have said that it has been changed, meaning that it was changed already when he took it in in trade. It was a long while ago and I don't really remember. I'm not for one moment suggesting that anyone has done anything wrong regarding the leadpipe of this trumpet, only that it is not what I imagine that I would find on a typical Bach 37. I don't think it matters anyhow, other than as a possible explanation regarding what I like about the playing characteristics of this Bach.

I had a bach 37 in the 80's that was the most all around trumpet i have ever played. Perfect for classical, quintet, big band, whatever. And back then i played just one mouthpiece, a bach 1.5C. All that being said, i sold that horn years ago as it didn't really have the punch i needed for what i eventually play the most, R&B type stuff. Is it the commercial sound your really after?

No, I don't really think so. I think that I am looking for what you had in your Bach 37 in the 80s.

If so get what the pros play in a commercial setting. 1s2 or bach 43. The great commercial players pretty much all play these two horns or a variation of them. Look into a 1s2 from Charlie Davis. Fantastic Horns. But more than anything else i think finding a commercial sound you like comes down to mouthpiece/horn config. I carry at all times 4 to 7 distinctly different pieces. Big V shaped flugel like to tiny 30 drill lasers. find the horn that can handle these types of changes and you've found the right horn, I know i meandered off the idea of your original post a bit, but it's something to think about.

Yes, something to think about, thanks very much.

regards,

tom

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
The Bach 190/37 and 190/43 are the finest Bach horns I have ever played.
I go back to the mid to late 60s when I first tried Bach horns. That era was magnificent for Bachs - at least many of them. I had a Burbank Benge 5X back then and I preferred it to the Bachs of that era.
These new ones are stunning in sound, intonation, response, and ease of playing. The new Yamahas are wonderful, too, but they just don't have that incredible core sound these new Bachs have.

If I had the $$, I would get myself a 190/37 in lacquer because I thought the lacquered one and a little "extra" over the silver plated one.

The 43 was also terrific, but not what I prefer in sound.

R.Tomasek

Hi R.Tomasek

It is sounding more and more like a I need to try the new Bach 190/37 and 190/43.

Thanks very much.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Hi Brad

With the exception of the sticking valve (which is most certainly fixable), this is pretty subjective. I personally don’t especially like the 37 for what I do today, but I have owned and played them in the past for big band lead. And as I have mentioned before, the strongest lead player I have ever played (second part) with (RIP Joel Wright) used a basic, lacquered 37, with no tweaks.

Thanks very much.

What exactly are you hoping to find? More projection? More feedback? Brighter sound? Bigger/brighter sound? More focused?

Obviously, I've answered this part already.

There are SO many variables, I don’t really think personal horn recommendations are very helpful, YOU need to find what works for you, in whichever genre you use the horn in. I alternate between a Wild Thing and an LA Benge 3x+, they work for me, but you might hate either or both of them.

I fully understand. Many thanks.

Brad

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

Another thing, although I mention wanting greater projection, it is more the feel that I am looking to change than the sound. Ultimately I sound like me on all my trumpets. I want faster response, greater flexibility and something I can push harder. Most probably my Xeno II does all this already, but my Bach 37 does it more easily for me.

All the best

Lou

Bach 190-37. No question.

Yamaha is coming out with a new generation of Bobby Shew 8310z trumpets this month. That's another option, but would be a very big change from what you are currently using.

Hi Justin

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: D Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi Lou, you 1st valve slide could be out of alignment, especially if it took a slight fall. I know you’re not in the USA, but I would send it to Jim Becker at Osmun Music, tell him the problem and have it blueprinted. Every horn I sent to him comes back a player. It may cost a bit, but it would be like have new life in the horn. Just a thought.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks very much. Definitely something to consider.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: D Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
falado wrote:
Hi Lou, you 1st valve slide could be out of alignment, especially if it took a slight fall. I know you’re not in the USA, but I would send it to Jim Becker at Osmun Music, tell him the problem and have it blueprinted. Every horn I sent to him comes back a player. It may cost a bit, but it would be like have new life in the horn. Just a thought.

Dave

A slide misaligned by a fall or other trauma can cause a deflection of the port to the valve casing. This is very common on student horns on the second valve. Very often I can relieve the stress by prying (gently) up on the slide assembly. I hav not encountered this on a 1st slide unless the damage is profound.

Hi Ed

My trumpet has a factory fitted 1st slide trigger, which is mounted on the right hand side of the 1st valve (a horrible mounting place in my opinion). The trigger spring has a hexagonal nut like the main water key spring. Could this at one point been tightened to the point of putting stress on the 1st valve casing? If so, I wouldn't know how or when, as I only unscrew the trigger rod for removing the slide for cleaning.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Ed

(Sorry, I will reply to everyone else tomorrow. My Bach has just disgraced itself lol. I decided to play some technical repertoire on it. First valve was stick stick stick to an unplayable extent. I had a look at the valves. Valves 2 and 3 don't stick, but there is fair amount of play when you wiggle the valve stems side to side. With the 1st valve, there is no play whatsoever. I took off the bottom valve cap, and could see the piston scraping against the casing. I applied more oil, this time to the bottom of the casing. The more oil, the worse it gets, so the 1st valve casing must have gotten out of round somehow, although it doesn't look like it is. If so, I have no idea how. Hopefully this can be fixed.

Admittedly I wasn't playing technical stuff yesterday, but the valve was hardly a problem. I was alternating trumpet, flugel and flute, which is probably the explanation, as the trumpet gets worse the longer you play it.

With regards to my Bach, I'll let you all know the outcome once Leigh has seen it, which won't be yet, as I am waiting for my Taxi Driver husband to take it to Leigh when he has a job to/from Luton airport, which he does from time to time.

All the best

Lou

Hi Lou,

I tend to be persnickety about my equipment, but I would not tolerate that for ten minutes, especially when there are ways to fix it!

Brad

Hi Brad

I fully agree. I've been very patient with this trumpet, but it was completely intolerable yesterday once it had warmed up a bit, which is probably an important point to make. It starts ok and sticks as it warms up. Sometimes it sticks more than others, but yesterday it hung on the upstroke every time, making the trumpet completely unplayable as it is.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I've replied to everyone now. I apologise if I've missed anyone's post.

Thanks very much everyone.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

... Valves 2 and 3 don't stick, but there is fair amount of play when you wiggle the valve stems side to side. With the 1st valve, there is no play whatsoever. I took off the bottom valve cap, and could see the piston scraping against the casing. ...

-----------------------------
The situation you describe about the 1st valve is probably the important part - and it likely easily fixed. Probably either (or both) the 1st valve casing or valve piston is slightly out of shape. There are tools and techniques that a good repair tech should have to correct both of those problems w/o needing new parts or a 'valve rebuild'. Since the valve does work OK sometimes, to me that means the problem is fairly small (but I am NOT a repair tech).

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

... Valves 2 and 3 don't stick, but there is fair amount of play when you wiggle the valve stems side to side. With the 1st valve, there is no play whatsoever. I took off the bottom valve cap, and could see the piston scraping against the casing. ...

-----------------------------
The situation you describe about the 1st valve is probably the important part - and it likely easily fixed. Probably either (or both) the 1st valve casing or valve piston is slightly out of shape. There are tools and techniques that a good repair tech should have to correct both of those problems w/o needing new parts or a 'valve rebuild'. Since the valve does work OK sometimes, to me that means the problem is fairly small (but I am NOT a repair tech).

Jay

Hi Jay

Hopefully this is the case.

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
jadickson wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

Another thing, although I mention wanting greater projection, it is more the feel that I am looking to change than the sound. Ultimately I sound like me on all my trumpets. I want faster response, greater flexibility and something I can push harder. Most probably my Xeno II does all this already, but my Bach 37 does it more easily for me.

All the best

Lou

Bach 190-37. No question.

Yamaha is coming out with a new generation of Bobby Shew 8310z trumpets this month. That's another option, but would be a very big change from what you are currently using.

Hi Justin

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

Lou

Louise!
I´m one of the guys that sold a Bach LT190 1B but the horn in itself in the right hands (lips) is very good. To me, amateur as I am, it simply was too easy to play! Then I found the new Yamaha 6335 RC, half the price with a resistance more convinient for me; extremely versatile and easy playing horn. I wouldn´t say no if I was asked to play Hayden on this horn! This notwithstanding very appropriate for big-/dance- bands.
Like you I´m a brassbander body&soul but I find this horn very compatible with my Getzen 3850 - both very responsive horns but different enough so as to invite you to their different worlds. You just play them not having to adapt - each in their respective settings.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
ComeBackTumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bach 37 use to hang up on 1st valve. After a cleaning, my trumpet technician would take the bottom caps off, put oil (I use Ultra Pure, he always uses what the owner suggests) on the bottom of the piston and insert into the cylinder from the bottom and twist and turn it. Then he would oil the whole valve piston and insert it the regular way (twisting and turning again). No 1 does not stick anymore.
B6Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

Have you tried a fresh set of springs? I just swapped the springs in my Olds Studio. The springs replaced were a about 8.0 mm shorter. Cheap to try. Or, you could try stretching the existing. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

Best,

Bob
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really on-topic for the OP (Louise), but this seemed like a good place to drop this.

Sooooooo, for whatever this is worth. I played a seventies Bach 37. It’s a long time ago. So I don’t remember the specific details exept that I loved that horn. It took me through many years.

At some point it developed corrosion pin holes. I must have trashed it as I don’t remember what happened to it.

A few years ago I test-played some new Bach 37’s, but I had trouble with intonation.

So then I tried the Kanstul “37-bell replica” model 1537 and it immediately became a keeper. It has now become my number one battle ax.

Cheers
Harry
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Hilgers wrote:
This is not really on-topic for the OP (Louise), but this seemed like a good place to drop this.

Sooooooo, for whatever this is worth. I played a seventies Bach 37. It’s a long time ago. So I don’t remember the specific details exept that I loved that horn. It took me through many years.

At some point it developed corrosion pin holes. I must have trashed it as I don’t remember what happened to it.

A few years ago I test-played some new Bach 37’s, but I had trouble with intonation.

So then I tried the Kanstul “37-bell replica” model 1537 and it immediately became a keeper. It has now become my number one battle ax.

Cheers
Harry

Try the new Bachs that are being made. They are a fantastic improvement over some of the horns from that time you mention. I love mine...

The anniversary horn is fantastic as well, and there is a new C trumpet coming out at NAMM.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComeBackTumpet wrote:
My Bach 37 use to hang up on 1st valve. After a cleaning, my trumpet technician would take the bottom caps off, put oil (I use Ultra Pure, he always uses what the owner suggests) on the bottom of the piston and insert into the cylinder from the bottom and twist and turn it. Then he would oil the whole valve piston and insert it the regular way (twisting and turning again). No 1 does not stick anymore.

Hi ComeBachTumpet

Thanks very much.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Louise!
I´m one of the guys that sold a Bach LT190 1B but the horn in itself in the right hands (lips) is very good. To me, amateur as I am, it simply was too easy to play! Then I found the new Yamaha 6335 RC, half the price with a resistance more convinient for me; extremely versatile and easy playing horn. I wouldn´t say no if I was asked to play Hayden on this horn! This notwithstanding very appropriate for big-/dance- bands.
Like you I´m a brassbander body&soul but I find this horn very compatible with my Getzen 3850 - both very responsive horns but different enough so as to invite you to their different worlds. You just play them not having to adapt - each in their respective settings.

Hi Seymor

Thanks very much. I'd be interested in trying the Yamaha 6335 RC. I'd also like to try the Yamaha 8335 LA.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: