• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryceh1217

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Kanstul trumpets Reply with quote

So, from my understanding, Kanstul produces Benge and Besson remakes along with their version of Bach's and other trumpets. My question is, which version of the kanstul trumpets translates to what Benge? What Kanstul trumpet translates to their version of a Besson? I am just curios as to what trumpet in Kanstul's inventory translates to what trumpet it is modeled after. I am considering Kanstul for my next trumpet because I hear they are made all in the US and that they have some of the highest quality out there. I am just unsure where to start. Is the Chicago 1070 trumpet a CG Benge? What is the Chicago 1001 and 1000 modeled after?
Thanks in advance!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kanstul.com/instruments/trumpets/1600-bb-trumpet/

A cursory reading explains each model for instance the Chicago 1000 states "This is the American rendition of the classic French Besson trumpets."

Model Chicago 1001 is their version of the MLP Benge Trumpet and so on.

I can recommend the Model 1600 which was the Wayne Bergeron Signature Model before Yamaha signed Wayne away. This trumpet is beautiful and plays open; slots great and can sizzle or puuurrr.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
http://www.kanstul.com/instruments/trumpets/1600-bb-trumpet/

A cursory reading explains each model for instance the Chicago 1000 states "This is the American rendition of the classic French Besson trumpets."

Model Chicago 1001 is their version of the MLP Benge Trumpet and so on.

I can recommend the Model 1600 which was the Wayne Bergeron Signature Model before Yamaha signed Wayne away. This trumpet is beautiful and plays open; slots great and can sizzle or puuurrr.

1600 based on Bach 72*. Chi1000 and 1001 3X bells. Also the Burbank line sold by HornTrader. The model numbers are directly analagous to Benge. Substitute a * for the x .

http://www.horntrader.com/9-burbank-trumpets

Also Flip Oaks new "Legend" model is a Besson inspired desogn.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanstul trumpets Reply with quote

Bryceh1217 wrote:
So, from my understanding, Kanstul produces Benge and Besson remakes along with their version of Bach's and other trumpets. My question is, which version of the kanstul trumpets translates to what Benge? What Kanstul trumpet translates to their version of a Besson? I am just curios as to what trumpet in Kanstul's inventory translates to what trumpet it is modeled after. I am considering Kanstul for my next trumpet because I hear they are made all in the US and that they have some of the highest quality out there. I am just unsure where to start. Is the Chicago 1070 trumpet a CG Benge? What is the Chicago 1001 and 1000 modeled after?
Thanks in advance!

To get the exact answers, call Kanstul at (714) 563-1000 and asked to speak with Charless Hargett.

You can also asked the receptionist if she would give you Jack Kanstul’s mobile phone number.

You can see in my signature that Kanstul is about all I play.

Cheers,
Harry

PS Yes, they are American made.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the thought of calling or e-mailing Charles Hargett at Kanstul. He will tell you what you want to know. Very good to work with. I do not own a Kanstul Bb, but if the 1510 C Trumpet (which I recently purchased directly from them) and the Picc I have are any indication of the Bb quality, they are very nice horns. But of course, playing is always the best way to decide.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old post by shofarguy, that addresses the OP's question.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1133765#1133765

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul has their own brand and sells models under their own name. They also build instruments for other horn companies, such as Buffet-Crampon in the 1980s-90s. The Kanstul-made Bessons came out of this arrangement and the current 1070 is essentially the Besson Meha under the Kanstul brand

One of the lines Kanstul has made since before it sold its own is the Burbank Trumpet line. This was originally sold by Donald Benge before he and Zig had a falling out. Then, Zig turned over the marketing of Burbank Trumpets to Michael Thomas of Roché-Thomas fame. Michael still holds the rights to that Brand and sells the Burbank Trumpet line directly to each customer and through a select few dealers. These are as close to the Burbank era of Benge trumpets as you will find, but are not exactly the same. The closest, IMO, is the 6X-CG, which I think is a terrific trumpet.

The 3X & 3x+ compare to the Kanstul 1000 and 1001 with small differences like bottom valve caps, water key mounts, etc. The Kanstul's are a tiny bit heavier, overall.

The Kanstul 1537P is a very good rendition of the Bach 37, but with Kanstul intonation. It's been awhile since I've played one (10 years, come to think of it), but I remember that it had a wonderfully refined feel to it, very much like the great Bachs of the Mt. Vernon or early Elkhart eras.

The 1603 is Kanstul's version of the Martin Committee, while the 1603+ is how Wallace Roney specified his own personal trumpet, when he and Kanstul worked out this new model. Wallace doesn't consider the 1603 a copy, but an actual Martin Committee made by Kanstul. High praise indeed from someone who has played the Martin since Miles Davis gave him one of his personal horns as a gift.

The 990 & 991 are patterned after two Conn models. They are quite different from each other. The 990 looks and plays more like a typical trumpet, whereas the 991 is more like the wide-wrap nickel Constellations.

Two former Kanstul development players have specified their own designs, too. The 1601 was designed and developed by Tim Wendt and is a terrific ML Bb trumpet for all music genre.

Flip Oakes also developed and sells his own line of instruments known as Wild Thing trumpets, flugelhorn and cornets. Kanstul builds these to his exacting standards and Flip "blueprints" each horn with his Total Enhancement process.

There are (and have been) numerous other manufacturers that utilize Kanstul's capabilities to make parts or complete instruments for their own brands.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
The Kanstul 1537P is a very good rendition of the Bach 37, but with Kanstul intonation.
+1
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
I will second the thought of calling or e-mailing Charles Hargett at Kanstul.

Sadly, Charles no longer works at Kanstul. He was a great person to work with.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
cgaiii wrote:

-Dave

Dave, I am puzzled.
Unless he quit in the last week or so, Charles is again with Kanstul as of a couple of months ago.

In fact I spoke with him early December when I bought the 4-valve alto horn from him.

http://www.kanstul.com/kanstul-welcomes-charles-hargett-back-as-director-of-sales/
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Kanstul walked me through the Kanstul Bb lineup at ITG a few years back. They make some fine horns, many of which are popular because they play like an ideal version of someone else's horn: Calicchio 1S2, Benge 3X MLP, Martin Committee, Bach Strad 37, Conn Connstelation, etc. Talk to Charles, as suggested, and he'll steer you to the right model.

Having said that, I think it is too bad that so much attention focuses on those "copy" Kanstul models, as good as they are. It seems to me that the gems in the Kanstul lineup are the 1500 and the 1601 (a variation of the 1500), which are uniquely Kanstul. Those horns really impressed me.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Harry Hilgers"]
qcm wrote:
cgaiii wrote:

-Dave

Quote:
Dave, I am puzzled.
Unless he quit in the last week or so, Charles is again with Kanstul as of a couple of months ago.

In fact I spoke with him early December when I bought the 4-valve alto horn from him.

http://www.kanstul.com/kanstul-welcomes-charles-hargett-back-as-director-of-sales/

Harry,

Then I stand corrected. Good news indeed!

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="qcm"]
Harry Hilgers wrote:
qcm wrote:
cgaiii wrote:

-Dave

Quote:
Dave, I am puzzled.

Harry,

Then I stand corrected. Good news indeed!

-Dave

Dave, indeed good news.

I had been looking for a long time for an affordable Kanstul 3-valve Tenor/Alto horn to play in a couple of 1-week summer British Brass Band workshops.

I contacted Charles and found he had on the shelve a one-of-a-kind 4-valve version of their 3-valve Tenor, reduced to a "I-could-not-refuse" sale price as part of their end-of-year sale.

I ordered it on the spot. I have been playing it and the horn in good old Kanstul fashion is perfect in any which way and plays like a dream.

Do I need the 4th valve? Of course not. Would I like to have the 4th valve? Heck YES. It is great to mess-around with alternate "better-in-tune" fingerings.

I have had some good deals from Jack Kanstul, but the Tenor deal topped them all. It pays (literally) to know both the Boss as well as the Ram-Rod of the outfit

Cheers,
Harry
howardjb98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies! It really seems that people love kanstul trumpets. It looks like I'm gonna have to go test drive a few of these. Again, thanks to everyone for all the responses.
Jon_Manness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kanstul 1600 "Wayne Bergeron" trumpet for sale if you're interested in a Kanstul!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1936893259939449

-Jon
Stomvi Elite Copper Flugel
'37 Conn 80a Cornet
'42 Conn 22b Trumpet
Stomvi-USA Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: