• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Xeno II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I remembered previously reading the following link and finding it interesting:

http://chasesanborn.com/2014/10/review-yamaha-xeno-trumpet/

I thought that I'd revisit it, and found the following statement interesting:

The reverse responds better with a more assertive playing style; the standard responds better if I back off.

This may very well explain why I like my Xeno so much for classical playing, but not for louder dynamics in more commerical repertoire. Since I like my Xeno II very much in most regards, I've decided to put my Bach 37 away for a bit and concentrate on backing off a bit on my Xeno at louder dynamics, which should be easier if I'm not alternating it with a Bach 37 that to use Chase Sanborn's words, favours a more assertive playing style.

All the best

Lou

P.S. The reason why this particular phrase on Chase Sanborn's blog resonated with me, as I asked my Jazz Saxophonist husband for his opinion and he felt that my Xeno II sounded stuffy in his Jazz band compared to my Bach 37, and I was wondering whether this was a product of me trying to put too much air through owing to having acclimatised again to my Bach 37, as I have been told in orchestral circles that I have a very nice clear sound on my Xeno II. It doesn't make much sense that the same trumpet can sound clear in the orchestra and stuffy in the Jazz band. Since the mouthpiece is also the same, the difference must be my approach, and I'm going to try backing off on my Xeno II first before considering another trumpet.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I deleted my last two posts in this thread, as I've had a change of heart. If anyone had read them, I basically had experimented with changing the position of the 3rd stop screw of my Xeno II to the nearer position, and was very pleased with the improvements in the areas in which I was hoping. Sadly it turned out to be a honeymoon situation, and with longer time, I realised that I didn't like the blow or slotting as much overall.

Anyway, changing it back reminded how much I like my Xeno II and how unwise I'm probably being in concentrating on the minor things I don't like about what is otherwise a great trumpet.

Yes, my Bach is better in my Jazz band, but I don't like it as much as my Xeno II overall. My decision is now whether to stick with my Xeno II for consistency purposes of to use my Bach only for Jazz band. Decisions decision.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: