• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music critic article about NY Phil brass

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Music critic article about NY Phil brass Reply with quote

I just noticed this article in The NY Times in which music critic Corinna da Fonseca-Wollheim complained that the NY Phil is playing too loud. Quote: “Gentlemen of the brass section: I’m talking to you.”

Anyone here heard the NY Phil live lately? What did you think? And wouldn’t the brass play the way the director wanted? Just curious.
Piccolo Stomvi
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“GentleMEN......”??
Great start.....
pitchlevel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
“GentleMEN......”??
Great start.....

Everybody knows French horns are really woodwind instruments. 😂😂
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emphatically disagree. The past few performances I've seen by the NY Phil have been great. Very exciting brass playing and nowhere near too loud.

I had some disagreements with their recent interpretation of Tchaik 4, but the volume was not the problem. And their performance of the Prokofiev violin concerto displayed remarkable subtlety and grace.

Ignore the haters, NY Phil!
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh! PITCHLEVEL IS BACK!
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an old thread on balance in orchestra and band. Maybe this has some bearing on the perceived "loudness" or "harshness" of the sound of any given ensemble (most likely not!):

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41967&highlight=francis+mcbeth+pyramid

eb1ch wrote:
Here is what Gene Pokorny (Chicago Symphony principal tuba) has to say on this subject. Very insightful.

Gene Pokorny said:
"When I was in high school in the early 1970's, I was taught a very important concept of balance from Benton Minor in California. The pyramid concept basically says that the highest voices in any ensemble should be supported slightly stronger and at least as reliably (in tune, rhythmically accurate, etc) by the immediate voices below. Those voices should be supported slightly stronger and more reliably yet by the voices below them, etc, until you reach the bottom voices which are the strongest and most reliable. This does not mean that the tuba players should be playing loud all the time. What it does mean is that tuba players should be most responsible for dynamic contrasts and reliable intonation. This particular concept is not unknown in the band world (W. Francis McBeth) or in the orchestral world (George Szell). Part of the problem with balance is when the voices at the very top of this "food chain" are playing way too loud. Although it is easy to play in a unified way since everybody can hear the "Tyrannosaurus Treble Tyrants" on the top, the pyramid concept of balance is in shambles: The woodwinds are overblowing their instruments into non-Western scales, the string section takes on the significance of tape hiss in the total mix, and the brass section sounds like a three-alarm fire in the elephant house at the zoo. Any low brass, low woodwind or low string player who tries to keep up with this "feeding frenzy" adds to the insanity. Yes, there will be people out there who think it is really great, exciting as all get-out, etc, and there are the perpetrators after the concert who enjoy hearing that EVERY one of their notes was heard in the hall. And who doesn't enjoy an exciting performance? The question is, "Was it exciting because it was loud?" or "Was it loud because it was exciting?" or "Was it just loud."....

At any rate, (returning to the current discussion), the brass players in this fine ensemble (NY), undoubtedly are aware of concepts of balance and blend, and certainly of tone quality.

As a brass player, I grow weary at times of being admonished by conductors to "bring it out, trumpets"or "louder"....how about admonishing the rest of the group to lower their volume so that the brass stands out more? Sign of the times, I guess...but, as a player, I have always tried to deliver what the Maestro wants.

YMMV
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome quote!
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the crap is "Corinna da Fonseca-Wollheim?"

I know who Chris Martin is. I also know who Gene Pokorny is. I've met him. Let's leave music making to the pros who actually know how to do it.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the great honor to play third and second cornet for many years in the "by invitation only" Colorado British Brass Band under the baton of Dr. John Kincaid at the Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xmbVDWfzvs
Here is a discussion about John many years after he retired.

John had a very simple rule:
The tubas set the intonation of the whole band. They are the base. When everybody is in tune with the Tubas then all harmonics result in that sonorous singing sound that sets the band aside from the "also ran". Therefore by extension, if you cannot hear the tubas you are playing too loud and you are probably out of tune resulting in the whole band sounding crappy.

Dr. John Kincaid, one of Colorado top maestro's and British Brass Bander.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Who the crap is "Corinna da Fonseca-Wollheim?" :-?

She, it should be noted, is a serious person deserving of respect. Not of agreement necessarily of course, which is difficult to do, for those of us who were not at the concert she reviewed...

See:
[/url]https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/arts/music/love-and-loss-set-to-music-during-the-holocaust.html[url][/url]

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just an opinion.

Everyone has one, and everyone also has a ... well ... you know.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music critics are to music what dogs are to lamp posts.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I emphatically disagree. The past few performances I've seen by the NY Phil have been great. Very exciting brass playing and nowhere near too loud.

Thanks for this feedback. This is what I would expect—the critic's review kinda surprised me.

Can't get to NYC for a live concert anytime soon, but this review makes me want to listen to some concert broadcasts, if possible. Not as good as hearing them live, but I'd like to check it out.
Piccolo Stomvi
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First…
LaTrompeta wrote:

Wait! Are you saying this was a woman? Well, that explains ev….

(Are any women out there reading this?)

Oh, what I was saying was…[let me go back to my corner…]

Second…
trpthrld wrote:
It's just an opinion.

Everyone has one, and everyone also has a ... well ... you know.

Tim, are you saying we should just “wipe” our "noses" and move on?!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. It's possible to play "too loud?"
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpearlman wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

She, it should be noted, is a serious person deserving of respect. Not of agreement necessarily of course, which is difficult to do, for those of us who were not at the concert she reviewed...

See:
[/url]https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/arts/music/love-and-loss-set-to-music-during-the-holocaust.html[url][/url]

Her family history is amazing and a tribute to determination, courage, caring, and compassion.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this article by trombonist Douglas Yeo which make a similar point as the NYT critic:

https://www.dansr.com/wick/resources/me-myself-and-i-are-orchestral-brass-players-losing-the-concept-of-being-team-players
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, insightful and brave.

I think his comment on the Ozawa performance was telling. My knee-jerk reaction to the review was that the conductor truly calls the shots, implying that I would defer to the conductor's reaction not the reviewer's. But the Ozawa anecdote makes me reconsider.

Maybe the critic has a point. To the best of my understanding, none of the posters were present at that particular performance of the NY Phil. At any rate, the article by Douglas Yeo is definitely a though-provoking read.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Excellent, insightful and brave...
… At any rate, the article by Douglas Yeo is definitely a though-provoking read.

+1 I have read the Douglas Yeo article twice so far...made me think about a few things on a totally different level. Really!!!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were many other people at the concert as well as this critic. But she is the one with the microphone. Is her opinion, though amplified by the NY Times, any more valid than any other concert goer? Her bio:

"Corinna was born in Germany and grew up in Brussels, where she studied the violin. She earned a B.A. in music and psychology from the University of London (Royal Holloway College) and a Ph.D in Italian literature from Cambridge University."

So, I wouldn't put much stock in her opinion about the philharmonic brass. But I put stock in this: I never thought the brass sound harsh when the two Phils were on principal horn and trumpet, so I doubt it has changed much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: