• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Repertoire help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jafetdiazdj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Repertoire help Reply with quote

Hello, I am a second-year undergraduate student and I am interested in learning a repertoire because my teacher focuses more on technique.
I would like to be given repertoire suggestions that could work in a short and long term.

Last edited by jafetdiazdj on Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo repertoire or orchestral repertoire?
jafetdiazdj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both is possible
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask your teacher. There may be a reason why he is focused on your technique for now. Tell him (her, it) you'd like to get some practice material more focused on tunes if possible and integrate them into your lessons. technique can be taught using tunes but sometime you need to isolate things.
jafetdiazdj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He use a similar plan for all the students and I would like to know more repertoire.

Last edited by jafetdiazdj on Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a delicate area to explore, when you don’t agree with your teacher. If you feel really strongly, then have a conversation with him. Ask:

1. Why is he not teaching you repertoire?
2. What does he see as your main needs to develop in technique?
3. If he acknowledges your need to learn some repertoire, is he happy for you to go off reservation with someone else?

If you get no satisfaction, then you need to explore the options for a different teacher, but be aware, you DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO LEARN YET.

It is very similar to the saying,

The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.

The number if students I have come across like this is not small, but they are generally very self entitled, know little to nothing about music, repertoire, performance or basic technique, yet feel they should be playing concertos from day 1, or know what brand of instrument / mouthpiece is good, etc etc etc. invariably, they fall by the wayside, regardless of who they study with.

Cheers

Andy
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you listen to recordings of trumpet players. I would recommend practicing the music that you hear that excites you. For me, at your age, I would get the sheet music I heard on CDs or from radio broadcasts. At that time it was often pic concertos played by Rolf Smedvig or Maurice Andre; the Tartini Concerto comes to mind. I would get the parts for the Bach Oratorios and try to play play those also (Richter recordings often had Andre). I recall being inspired by the 1971 recordings of Mahler 5,6,7 played by Chicago and getting those parts. Schwartz's recordings of Cornet solos were inspirational for me and I went through the ones I listened too. I had access to modern music recorded by Tom Stevens; for example, Henderson "Variation Movements", which I practiced. You can make a lot of progress studying repertoire in this way; playing the music that excites you, imitating the sound of the BIGS playing that music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: