• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NJ symphony 2nd Tpt audition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: NJ symphony 2nd Tpt audition Reply with quote

Anyone know who won/got trials?
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has gone 'radio silent'.
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a very well-run audition. I thought the lists made sense, and I did OK for the first time in a long, long time.

I know that two people got trials but I don't feel it's my place to say anything else because I don't know either of them very well and met one of them only briefly.

I'm fairly certain many of the people who were at this audition are not on trumpetherald.com
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayV wrote:
I'm fairly certain many of the people who were at this audition are not on trumpetherald.com

They were obviously looking for a higher class of candidates.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayV wrote:

The NJ Symphony must not care too much about which way the bottom cap knurls slant on a 1965 Ambassador.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a very well-run audition. I thought the lists made sense, and I did OK for the first time in a long, long time.

They added excerpts to the list less than two weeks out (very standard excerpts, to be fair, but still), didn't include all of the excerpts in the initial packet sent out (and didn't mention that they omitted them), asked for a different edition of one of the excerpts at the audition than they specified on their list, and they didn't shut off their sound system, so you could hear the auditions going on being piped into your warm-up room. I have taken a relatively small number of auditions, but this one was far and away the worst run I have taken to date.
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astadler wrote:
Quote:

They added excerpts to the list less than two weeks out (very standard excerpts, to be fair, but still), didn't include all of the excerpts in the initial packet sent out (and didn't mention that they omitted them), asked for a different edition of one of the excerpts at the audition than they specified on their list, and they didn't shut off their sound system, so you could hear the auditions going on being piped into your warm-up room. I have taken a relatively small number of auditions, but this one was far and away the worst run I have taken to date.

This was exactly my experience, and mirrors my thoughts as well.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I did OK for the first time in a long, long time."

Good luck on doing OK again before a long,long time passes.
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complaints in this thread were my experience also...but honestly this was a well run audition by comparison (in my opinion).

I have had many absolutely absurd and truly awful experiences at auditions. Excerpts added at the last minute/wrong editions and the ability to hear the other people's auditions truthfully didn't even register in my mind as problems.

I thought it was great. I had a warm-up room, with a bathroom, and time to warm-up: wow! I played my rounds at the times they said I would: amazing! The halls rang, the excerpts made sense, the proctor knew what was going on, the HVAC system was working, nice!

I am a regional orchestra player and gigger (aka I work in the 4th circle of hell) so I have become used to mismanagement, abuse, and general unpredictability. For me this was a good experience.

Last edited by JayV on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
"I did OK for the first time in a long, long time."

Good luck on doing OK again before a long,long time passes.

Thank you. I quit going to auditions in 2014 because I wasn't ready and I didn't have the $ to waste. 5 years later and I think I've narrowed many of the skills gaps I had at that time.

Last edited by JayV on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayV wrote:
I thought it was great. I had a warm-up room, with a bathroom, and time to warm-up: wow! I played my rounds at the times they said I would: amazing! The halls rang, the excerpts made sense, the proctor knew what was going on, the HVAC system was working, nice!

Agreed, this is the important stuff. It's a matter of personal priorities, but I'd take the warm up room/time to warm up and an accurate timeframe over pretty much everything else.

I wasn't at this particular audition, but I've taken more than my fair share and have some horror stories. The more you can let roll, the more successful you'll be. It sucks that we have to deal with these things, but that's the reality of auditioning.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there are far worse offenses that could have been committed, and are committed all the time. But just because other auditions are worse doesn’t mean more minor things should be acceptable - that’s how things go downhill. Some of the things they did I wouldn’t have batted an eye at, but put together, it was obvious that there were some communication issues between the committee and the people running the audition, or at least between those running the audition and the candidates. Just because it could be worse doesn’t mean it couldn’t be better, and we should hold them to a higher standard than “as long as I have a warmup room I’m good.”
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, it should be better. My only point is that there is stuff that you can control and stuff you can't, and worrying about stuff you can't control at an audition is a waste of valuable mental energy that you need on stage. The issues you describe should not have taken place, but blocking out distractions is a huge part of the game. No audition will ever be completely ideal.

I suppose if you were bothered enough you could send an email to the audition coordinator(s) to let them know there were some problems. If you're truly interested in holding them to a higher standard, this might be a good place to start. Depending on how you word it, it could help them do better next time. You never know. Or, you could choose not to attend their next audition.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely; in the context of the audition, most of those things were not an issue. The volume in the warm-up rooms could be turned down, the excerpts they added were standards and shouldn't be an issue for anyone who's going to be competitive. And worrying about things like that the day of won't help. But asking for the 1911 version of Petrouchka when the list sent out explicitly said 1948 is a significant difference, and you can't just block it out when you have to re-learn the excerpt an hour before your audition.

My point isn't to say that these issues kept me from winning; I doubt they would have made any difference. But to say that the audition was "well-run" simply because they were on time and provided warm-up space while ignoring the numerous issues will only lead to more sloppily run auditions. It's fair to acknowledge that no audition will ever be perfect, but that doesn't mean we should write off any issue as something to be expected.
KaptureJKap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this not apply to "audition complaints" and not appropriate for this forum?
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaptureJKap wrote:
How does this not apply to "audition complaints" and not appropriate for this forum?

I think these are more "this is what happened in Newark" comments. Are we not allowed to have a conversation about audition experiences, positive or negative? This thread has maintained uncharacteristic civility for TH, in my opinion.
KaptureJKap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pointing out it was about who won, or got trials. No real need to go into what it went into, those are concerns one could talk to teachers/mentors about in a private setting, or bring to the attention of the NJ management.
yctrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGA DMA graduate, Anderson Romero is one of the people got the trial. Congratulations to him!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: