• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBTP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Piccolo Trumpet Reply with quote

What is the best piccolo to get in your opinion? What pic did Maurice Andres use? I am looking to purchase one soon.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha and Schilke both have good offerings. Thein and Scherzer also make fine piccolos but I have less experience with them.

MA started on a Selmer, spent a bit of time on the Schilke P5-4, and struck a deal with Stomvi and played their piccolos in the later years of his career.

If you want my opinion, I think there’s a reason why the P5-4 has been the gold standard for so long. Many of the top models are designed very similarly. Get what speaks well to your needs, though.
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried so many..the Shires piccolo trumpet is my favorite. Sounds great, plays great and comes with the 4 leadpipe options ...A and Bb pipe with cornet receiver and A and Bb pipe with trumpet receiver.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First picc was a Selmer. Great sound but it didn't have the greatest scale. Bought a Getzen short bell model (940?) which had a decent sound and a pretty good scale, especially in A. Graduated to a Schilke P5-4. Great sound - great scale. It was the easiest of the three to pick up and play the few times a year I had a chance to play it, without spending weeks of practicing to get use to it. I now have a Schilke P7-4. Great intonation just like the P5-4 but the sound is even better, which is why I bought it. I can also pick it up after not playing it for weeks or even months with decent results, and if I can play it for a couple of days, it is like I've played it continuously.

The Shires and Adams are great sounding piccs with good intonation, though I haven't spent a lot of time with them except at NAMM and ITG. To me, the Scherzer has the best sound of all, but the intonation is not as good as the Schilkes' and they can be pretty expensive. Also, for me, getting use to the rotary valves would take some time.

Last edited by adagiotrumpet on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I now have a Schilke P7-4. Great intonation just like the P5-4 but the sound is even better, which is why I bought it. e.

Started with a small bore Getzen, bought off eBay for $600. Good beginner horn, but easy to outgrow and I struggled with liking the small bore.

Bought a Schilke P7-4 a year ago.....damn is that a great horn. Doesn’t have any weaknesses.

Honestly, the only reason the 5-4 is the gold standard is because it’s been around so long and they are plentiful on the used market.

Probably the only step up is a Thein, and I did discuss it with them but really felt from the conversation that they want to fit you in Germany. Maybe next time.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite at the moment is a Spencer long bell picc because it gives me the sound I'm looking for on a couple of pieces that I'm currently doing. My other two favorites are the Shires and my Schilke P5-4 that I've had since 1986.
If money is no object, definitely try Schilke, Shires, Blackburn, and Yamaha. As someone else mentioned, Thein is really nice to, but a bit more rare.
If budget is a concern, a nice used Getzen, Benge, or Kanstul is a great bargain. But, that's just my opinion.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. If you are looking for that chirpy, Clarino baroque sound for solo playing get the P5-4BG (silver plating). If you want more of a trumpet sound for lets say playing in a orchestra then either a P7-4 or a Yamaha 9830. keep in mind the Schilke was designed for a cornet mouthpiece so you will have to get a piccolo mouthpiece with a cornet shank to use it. good luck! jw
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No relation to what Maurice Andre played but the Yamaha 9820C (3 valves plus rotor) was the easiest pic I've ever played. Takes a trumpet shank mouthpiece and I could play it with very little acclimation. In my experience most piccs require a good deal more adjustment.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best one for you is the one you sound best on.
If you are just starting, don't get anything too extreme.
Yamaha piccolos are always good, but there are numerous ones out there that can work.

Once you know what you are doing - play everything and choose what works for you.
For me it's Eclipse, but I also own piccolos by Couesnon, F Besson (Kanstul) and Scherzer
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Kanstul Bessons Reply with quote

Love my Kanstul Besson. Unfortunately, they are gone now, but available used.

Have long bell model, .460 b0re.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no pro but, of the horns I've tried...

In order of preference
3 valve plus rotor - Yamaha 9820C
Rotary - Scherzer (very different to play than the piston horns but undeniable quality)
Best long bell - Yamaha 9830, Schilke, Kanstul 920, Stomvi
Best short bell - Newer Getzen, Yamaha 9810 (I generally don't like the short bell models but a few of these were quite nice)

I'm excluding Selmer which played very nicely because the horn I'm told was significantly modified. And FWIW my teach said he preferred the Selmer for small ensembles and the Scherzer for larger. Not actually what he said but that's gist of it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: