• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Getzen Eterna 700 ... in C!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Old Getzen Eterna 700 ... in C! Reply with quote

Not sure if it belongs in "Horns" or should be in "Joke" section

But I am the lucky owner of a "rare" C trumpet now.

Being an "educated" beginner, I acquired a proper student horn (Yamaha 2330) and was looking for a good deal on step-up - being puzzled by what makes "pro" horns so different. Getzen was on my watch list for it prized valves: my Yamaha valves do require a lot of lubrication.

Long story short, I managed to score Old Getzen Eterna 700 in silver: a horn that got good reviews here. I missed critical detail - tuning slide was kinda short. It only became evident when I got a horn.

After the cleaning bath with "foil & soda", minimal tarnish from silver was gone and I brought a tuner to the table. yep. It blows real C. LOL.

Getzen valves are indeed superior to my Yamaha's. And I think it blows/feels/sounds better too (but too early to tell, I guess)

So good news, I got a decent horn with amazing valves and I do not have to transpose when I play with my kids on the piano.

Bad news: I have to use my beginners Yamaha 2330 to play with others (alto sax) (or change matching notes I got in (Eb/Bb)/transpose)

It looks like Getzen makes C model now and looks similar to mine (but I got movable 3d ring) http://www.getzen.com/trumpet/ccustom/3072.shtml

Question: can I get second tuning slide to bring it to Bb?

FirstAct in Bb
Yamaha YTR2320 in Bb
Getzen Eterna 700 converted to C
Orpheum Elite in Bb from 1930's ?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your C is more akin to the Eterna C trumpets produced in the '70's. The custom series is geared to compete head on with the Bach Strad. Check out this demo by my friend Nick Drozdoff:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_003&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&hspart=iry&p=Nick+Drozdoff+-+Getzen+C+demo+Youtube#id=1&vid=d9c886d2fd350548f562133cc27b5a1a&action=click

PS They also lmade a Capri C. My teacher in college played 1st trumpet on one in the Minnesota Orchestra for a while.
Trumpetier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post pictures. It has Eterna 700 USA engraved on the bell.

While cleaning I also noticed that there is a faint "shadow" of post foot in the position it probably would be on normal B-flat trumpet on the bell. Not sure if this indicates "custom" modification (unlikely) or standard factory markings: it was hidden under surprisingly low silver oxidation (that went off easily with foil and soda bath)

Unlike Nick's video mine is Silver plated and has movable 3d slide finger ring (indicative not pro "feature" )

I was not expecting Eterna 700 come in C after all my research so I overlooked "short slide" and it came as a surprise: I just wanted a more "advanced", cooler looking trumpet

Not sure what to do: play it with non-transposed music and concert pitched instruments or sell it and get a "normal" Getzen (I found I do love Getzen valves action).

Per Internet, switching between "handy" C trumpet and "standard" B-flat can be confusing even for a seasoned player...

It would be awesome if I can get B-flat conversion slide - I saw some old C trumpets on ebay come with one or alternatively just get two simple adapter tubes (custom made?) - wonder if anybody used this simple "hack".

I feel it may introduce a new problem with instrument intonation and may not be worth it. But I guess I can try and see.

I played a scale with tuner and verified that I can blow this C trumpet in tune, but it does feel a bit weird after B-flat.

I also like it sounds more than my 2330 Yamaha - but it could be just a new trumpet thing - need to play with it longer.

FirstAct in Bb
Yamaha YTR2320 in Bb
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetier wrote:
It would be awesome if I can get B-flat conversion slide - I saw some old C trumpets on ebay come with one or alternatively just get two simple adapter tubes (custom made?) - wonder if anybody used this simple "hack".

There are two Bb/C convertible trumpets that I know of.

Both have 2 sets of 4 slides - all three valve slides and the tuning slide are changed when switching Bb <-> C.

The cost of creating a 2nd set of slides would probably be greater than buying another 700-series Bb. Probably.

Gary.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it and play it in C. Assuming this is the same horn, I just bought a Getzen Eterna large bore C in silver plate. This is a wonderful professional instrument and I like practicing with it alternating between the Bb and the C. Unreality like it. Don‘t care about the 3rd slide ring not being fixed. It works, doesn‘t it
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like - sorry for the strange spelling ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Trumpetier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Posted Images:

https://imgur.com/a/qsIfPNm

Love this horn.

It sounds distinctively different (better?) from my Yamaha 2320.

The best thing, of course, is an instant ability to play with the piano, right from the book. (I know, I know, but ...) The sound is also more clearly "classical" (brilliant vs "jazzy/dirty" of my student Yamaha) and "fitting" for that setting.

Only thing is that 3d valve slide is quite loose. (looks like a standard issue for Getzen per reviews) My trumpet already came with the plastic stopper so it is no issue - compression seems to be just fine.

FirstAct in Bb
Yamaha YTR2320 in Bb

Last edited by Trumpetier on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not what you're looking for but cool nonetheless:

http://www.kanstul.com/instruments/trumpets/1410-cbb-convertible-trumpet/

Kanstul C/Bb trumpet
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetier wrote:
Update:

Posted Images:

https://imgur.com/a/qsIfPNm

Love this horn.

It sounds distinctively different (better?) from my Yamaha 2320.

The best thing, of course, is an instant ability to play with the piano, right from the book. (I know, I know, but ...) The sound is also more clearly "classical" (brilliant vs "jazzy/dirty" of my student Yamaha) and "fitting" for that setting.

Only thing is that 3d valve slide is quite loose. (looks like a standard issue for Getzen per reviews) My trumpet already came with the plastic stopper so it is no issue - compression seems to be just fine.[img][/img][url][/url][img][/img][url][/url]

That is absolutely a modified Bb 700S.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in a community band with a guy who liked his C so much that he played it all the time. He just transposed the B-flat parts. He was a school band teacher, and he liked to mess with the kids who didn't know their fingering and so looked at what others were doing.
Trumpetier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it could be a post production modification - this post feet "shadow" on the bell made me think it may be the case.

It seems to be in tune at least for lower register and play very well with piano.

I am tempted to get matching "unmodified" Eterna 700 I was originally after - I love the sound and feel of the horn.

Still on the fance about B-flat/C trumpet and transposition thing

FirstAct in Bb
Yamaha YTR2320 in Bb
Trumpetier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found interesting info on conversion from Bb to C:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/convert-bb-trumpet-to-c.46815/

"It was probably my post that mentioned the converted Olds C trumpet.
And yes, it played very well, especially after I put a Pilczuk leadpipe on it.

I built another one last year based on a Yamaha and it played very well too.
I've tried Getzen Eterna C trumpets and preferred my converted horns.

If you are interested I can build one for you based on either for not a lot of money."

http://www.jaegerbrass.com/services/modification.html

"C Trumpet Conversion Convert Bb to C Trumpet $530"

I was lucky to score my already converted Eterna for much less

if mine was indeed converted it looks like a very good job - the only "tell tale" parts I can spot is a bit too much solder around one of the joints (lead pipe to tuning slide pipe joint) and this post "shadow" on pipe: both places can be seen on my last picture. And yes, all 4 slides are shorter indeed, compare to my unmodified Yamaha.

FirstAct in Bb
Yamaha YTR2320 in Bb
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim,

There is no question whether it was modified. Adam Getzen, part owner of Getzen, has confirmed.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with others that it's unlikely to be economical to get slides to re-convert your c to Bb. But if it's a well-playing C, that's a wonderful thing. If intonation is wonky it may just be because it's new to you. It takes a while for the chops to get used to playing a step higher. It doesn't sound like a step should be a big deal but I can assure you that it makes for quite an adjustment. If it seems to blow flat, just keep the tuning slide in a relatively neutral position and blow a little bit higher in the slot. It should come around in time.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: