• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PawnshopSelmerMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Monette mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hello,

Soon I will have a brand new Bach 180s 37. I dont try to talk me out of it cause I'm still going to get it. I recently started listening to a lot of Bobby Shew. I also have a my own reason for wanting to get a Monette mouthpiece. My question is, which Monette mouthpiece is best for a Bach 37. I'm trying to capture a smooth jazz sound like Bobby Shew.

Best,

PawnshopSelmerman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Monette mouthpieces Reply with quote

Why not call Monette and let them get all your personal needs?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Monette deals with customer individually; call and ask them.

It may take more than the mouthpiece to sound Like Bobby Shew, and the mouthpiece you use to sound like him, may be nothing like the mouthpiece he uses...
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Bobby plays his own Yamaha Shew Jazz and Lead mouthpieces on a 8310Z the setup he has will be different than yours to start with.

Bobby describes his Jazz mouthpiece as around a Bach 3D. That would be around a Monette B6LD S1. As far as compatibility with a Bach 37, who knows? That would be something that you would have to figure out for yourself.

Bobby's horn model, which I have one, plays quite a bit differently than a Bach 37. The 37 bell flair is definitely tighter than the Z bell flair which is closer to a Bach 72*.

The best thing to do is to play the Bach for a while with your current mouthpiece to see if that works. Then call Monette and let them know what you are looking for.

Pete
trumpetmiles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a B4LDS1 on a 37S and I'm very happy with it. Lovely warm sound for Jazz and then lights up nicely as you go higher. I also play orchestral stuff on it because I don't want to switch between mouthpieces at the moment, fits in well there as well.

But ask Monette. They know more about their mouthpieces than any of us
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette mouthpieces Reply with quote

PawnshopSelmerMan wrote:
Hello,

Soon I will have a brand new Bach 180s 37. I dont try to talk me out of it cause I'm still going to get it. I recently started listening to a lot of Bobby Shew. I also have a my own reason for wanting to get a Monette mouthpiece. My question is, which Monette mouthpiece is best for a Bach 37. I'm trying to capture a smooth jazz sound like Bobby Shew.

Best,

PawnshopSelmerman

Talk you out of it?? Think maybe you’re being a bit presumptuous?

Call Monette, they are very helpful.

Brad
PawnshopSelmerMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will call Monette when the time comes. I'll try to write a post later on concerning the Bach 37 and Monette mouthpiece. That will be some time oh around April or so. Full details at that time though.

Best,

PawnshopSelmerman
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Shew has a great sound that is worth emulating.
Wick 2BFL
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have played the following Monette mouthpieces with my Bach Strad 18037 and then 19037:

B2 S3
B2 S5
C2M S3 (yup, C series)
B3 S3
B4 S3
B4S S2
B4LD/2 S3
B6 S1

All were Classic (vice Prana), most were STC weight, a couple were Resonance-type, LT or XLT weight.

All of them worked very well with the Bach, though none of them made me sound like Bobby Shew....
GardyParty_11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling a Monette 6, which is essentially their version of a 3c. It pairs pretty well with Strad 37. PM if you're interested.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to make a number of redundant points, but BJ at Monette will help you find exactly what you need.

One thing that has not been mentioned so far is that on the Monette comparison chart - https://www.monette.net/comparison-chart - shows that their lead mouthpiece, BL2S3, was modeled after a "Shew rim." Now, I have no idea what that means relative to the current Shew line of mouthpieces bring produced by Yamaha - if memory serves correctly, this size is relatively new, and was originally a custom piece for a lead player who may have been a Shew student.

As for which Monette plays best on a Bach Strad 37 ML, that's not a question you can ever expect to gain an objective, final answer for. First of all, that is one of the most popular horns, ever, and no mouthpiece maker with an ounce of business acumen would sell mpcs to the general public without making sure they worked well on this set-up. Secondly, Bach 37s play wildly different horn-to-horn, with vintage being quite a determining factor, as well. As has been mentioned above, the taper of the 37 is quite a bit narrower/sharper than the Z model Yamahas, so since you've kept the horn as a constant, a mouthpiece with a somewhat more dispersed backbore taper may also be a consideration.

Happy hunting!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
PawnshopSelmerMan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the informative answers. I just bought a ht3 jazz. I'm very satisfied with it. I'm guess I'm just building up a collection at this point. I also have a Harrelson mouthpiece. They are cool because they give me so much more volume than anything else.

Peace,

PawnshopSelmerman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: