• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Experiences regarding the new Lotus mouthpieces?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricsim88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Lotus 1L plus a few days ago. My impressions so far are extremely positive. Very good response and intonation. It feels completely different than a Bach 1 1/4C. A lot more comfortable. High range definitely feels lower.
Overall I’m extremely happy with this mouthpiece. I can’t compare with Monette since I never played one.

Yamaha 9445 CHS 3rd gen
Yamaha Xeno 8335IIS
Yamaha 9820C piccolo
Trubicar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve received Lotus 1xl plus this week, and can not believe what a difference can mouthpiece make to your playing. The accuracy is so amazing that for the first time of my playing I don’t think what to do on high c,b and a. Before I was playing 1-1/4c, I often missed those targets when I had to jump on those notes. Intonation is spot on. Response also, and when I was playing those Arbans interval studies, it went for the first time for me without any mistake. Totally clear jumps. High g-no problem. I recommend this to really everyone
If anyone has any question, please let me know.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I been really interested in trying the Lotus pieces. Did you do the standard or the Plus series?

I only see Josh Landress in NYC (I am in Houston, TX) as a dealer in the US for the Lotus stuff right now and check in the last month to see when they would have a 3L+ in stock(as I currently play a Pickett 4C). Seems that stock comes infrequently with Lotus. I have thought about just ordering through the Lotus website but don't know their processing time.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
I been really interested in trying the Lotus pieces. Did you do the standard or the Plus series?

I only see Josh Landress in NYC (I am in Houston, TX) as a dealer in the US for the Lotus stuff right now and check in the last month to see when they would have a 3L+ in stock(as I currently play a Pickett 4C). Seems that stock comes infrequently with Lotus. I have thought about just ordering through the Lotus website but don't know their processing time.

I ordered a 3L+ without trying one. I love it. It took about 3 weeks to arrive here in CA.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:

I ordered a 3L+ without trying one. I love it. It took about 3 weeks to arrive here in CA.

Did you order directly from Lotus? And what were you playing on before?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:

Yes I ordered directly from the Lotus website. I've played in the 3C diameter for about 4 years and been playing around with diffferent makes and models. ACB 3C and a Yamaha Bobby Shew lead for lead mostly.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love more feedback on your experience with going to the Lotus piece. Is the tuning really equal octaves? Does it work well with swtiching between Bb, C, and Eb/D horns? I general use the same piece for each of the horns and only switch for a commercial sound or piccolo trumpet.

Jaw04 wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:

Yes I ordered directly from the Lotus website. I've played in the 3C diameter for about 4 years and been playing around with diffferent makes and models. ACB 3C and a Yamaha Bobby Shew lead for lead mostly.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the mouthpiece on smaller horns yet, so I can't speak on using it for different horns just B flat. However, there is a video with Adam and an orchestral player named Hew Morgan I believe and he plays a big 1XL mouthpiece on picc.

It is similar to a Monette Prana mouthpiece if you've ever played one of those. If you are tight it doesn't work well and your upper register will be sharp. You have to back off on tension, use a little less air pressure, and aim lower.

Im not sure if its because I have experience with Monette mouthpieces, or I just took the right approach, but I didnt have any problems at all transitioning to the Lotus, at any point. I picked it up cold and played a 2 octave C scale at piano dynamic slowly, and it put the notes exactly where they should be. It's been a joy to play and fixed the problems I was having with a flat upper register and bad intonation all over the trumpet with my other mouthpieces. I end up with my tuning slide pushed a little further in on the Lotus. Sometimes my high notes are still a little bit flat when I'm playing super super relaxed, but much better than on other pieces.

The only thing that I remember being an "issue" for me, was getting used to having a different sound. I wasn't used to all the overtones in the sound of the Lotus mouthpiece, and so I had to just get used to that. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, having a more "shimmery" sound (higher overtones in the sound). Now I don't notice it as being too "shimmery" anymore, because I'm used to it, and now it just sounds like me to me.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I play a Pickett 4C on a 10-2/24 backbore currently. The few Monette piece i have play, i did not have trouble with the blow more that i did not care for the sound (wide and dull, or dark). I have been describe as a teutonic sound already and found Monette just diffuse timbre it too much for my taste. Debating to try just the 3L+ or jump with a 3m+ also to get that 20 euro saving bundle discount and shipping cost. They did tell me that they do a 4 few trial period for a refund.

Jaw04 wrote:
I haven't used the mouthpiece on smaller horns yet, so I can't speak on using it for different horns just B flat. However, there is a video with Adam and an orchestral player named Hew Morgan I believe and he plays a big 1XL mouthpiece on picc.

It is similar to a Monette Prana mouthpiece if you've ever played one of those. If you are tight it doesn't work well and your upper register will be sharp. You have to back off on tension, use a little less air pressure, and aim lower.

Im not sure if its because I have experience with Monette mouthpieces, or I just took the right approach, but I didnt have any problems at all transitioning to the Lotus, at any point. I picked it up cold and played a 2 octave C scale at piano dynamic slowly, and it put the notes exactly where they should be. It's been a joy to play and fixed the problems I was having with a flat upper register and bad intonation all over the trumpet with my other mouthpieces. I end up with my tuning slide pushed a little further in on the Lotus. Sometimes my high notes are still a little bit flat when I'm playing super super relaxed, but much better than on other pieces.

The only thing that I remember being an "issue" for me, was getting used to having a different sound. I wasn't used to all the overtones in the sound of the Lotus mouthpiece, and so I had to just get used to that. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, having a more "shimmery" sound (higher overtones in the sound). Now I don't notice it as being too "shimmery" anymore, because I'm used to it, and now it just sounds like me to me.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I play a Pickett 4C on a 10-2/24 backbore currently. The few Monette piece i have play, i did not have trouble with the blow more that i did not care for the sound (wide and dull, or dark). I have been describe as a teutonic sound already and found Monette just diffuse timbre it too much for my taste. Debating to try just the 3L+ or jump with a 3m+ also to get that 20 euro saving bundle discount and shipping cost. They did tell me that they do a 4 few trial period for a refund.

Jaw04 wrote:

For me the Lotus sound is wider than a normal 3C but I definitely wouldn't say dull. From my perspective its a much richer sound, and like I said, more "shimmery". Funny you mention being interested in the 3M+ because I just ordered one myself!
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I took the jump and ordered the 3L+ and 3M+. Will give my feedback when I get them.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is wordy and long, just figure I give my opinion as best I can.

So I got the 3l+ and 3M+ on Wednesday but with work and other things, have not had time to sit down and type this out. It is also gave me a 2 days to play and compare the pieces. I receive the mouthpieces 10 days after ordering so shipping was faster than I expected from Europe to Houston, TX

For reference, my current equipment are Yamaha Vizzutti II Bb and a Yamaha Artist NYSII C trumpets. My mouthpiece comparison is to a Pickett 4C on a 10-2/24 backbore.

Sound: I figure I would describe this first as it should be a top priority. This is the one category I am on the fence on. The Pickett piece has a roundness to the sound that adds warmth to the timbre. Creates a bit more 3D texture in sound if that makes sense. The Lotus is a lot clear and clean in timbre. I would describe it as the Pickett has a timbre color of gold with richness and the Lotus is clear and brilliance as silver. Of the people (other musicians, orchestra students, trumpeters) that I have play for comparison, the opinion of choice is split pretty even between which is preferred.

Projection and Resonance: The Lotus projects well and in the lower register, I can feel the vibrations of the horn more. The brilliance of the timbre I believe makes the horn speak out more (or as Adam Rapa says, more output for less input though I don't think it is louder but clearer).

Slots and Tuning: This is the interesting category. The mouthpiece is more in tune on the harmonic series through the horn. The sound has an even richness through out the low to middle register and keep the sound wider as you go into the higher register. So when switch to and from the Lotus and Pickett, I notice the bending that I did not know I was doing on the Pickett before. So i feel that the evenness in timbre and slots is because with the Pickett having to bend the note up or down for tuning purposes, the note is off center of the slot for tuning purposes. In other words, if the note slots 20 cent sharp on a certain note, you now have to play it 20 cent flat off of the slot instead of the center (just an example, the Pickett is not that off but I did not know it as I was switch back and for). This makes the timbre change and the horn feel like it hard to land the note because you are purposely having to the miss the natural target. The overall lengthen of the Lotus is shorter than a convention mouthpiece but surprisingly, I have to push in a tad more with it on the trumpets. I have a typical centimeter ish slide pull and with the lotus, I have to push in about 2mm more. This was true of both Bb and C trumpets.

Comfort: The 4C I feel is a bit smaller than the 3L+ diameter. The rims are different but both are comfortable. The Pickett has a thicker rim cushion where as the Lotus feels a little narrow. The cup volume is larger in the Lotus with the cup not feeling like a traditional C cup. It has a bit of a V cup too it. Not much but it is different.

Mouthpiece works well and similar on both Bb or C trumpet as does the Pickett did for me. Will need to try it on my Eb/D sometime this week.

A specific note on the 3M+ model. This might be a big reason for me to switch to the Lotus. In the past, in search of mouthpieces that I can switch form a C cup to shallower for playing brighter or edgy styles, I feel that I have to change my playing more than I like to get the results. The tuning would also be different so I would not feel at home with the tuning tendencies and blow. With going from the 3L+ to the 3M+, I feel that the changes require of me to play the difference timbre is less and the blow feels much more similar while getting the desire timbre change. With the Pickett, when I go to my D or E cup, I have to change to a tighter backbore such as the 10-3 or 10-4 to adjust the tuning which it turns make the blow noticeably different. I would then I have to pull the tuning slide out more. With the 3L+ to 3M+, I don't think I even need to change my tuning slide.

I am leaning towards taking the switch to Lotus but will give it more time before I sell my other pieces or return the Lotus.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
Sorry if this is wordy and long, just figure I give my opinion as best I can.

So I got the 3l+ and 3M+ on Wednesday but with work and other things, have not had time to sit down and type this out. It is also gave me a 2 days to play and compare the pieces. I receive the mouthpieces 10 days after ordering so shipping was faster than I expected from Europe to Houston, TX

For reference, my current equipment are Yamaha Vizzutti II Bb and a Yamaha Artist NYSII C trumpets. My mouthpiece comparison is to a Pickett 4C on a 10-2/24 backbore.

Sound: I figure I would describe this first as it should be a top priority. This is the one category I am on the fence on. The Pickett piece has a roundness to the sound that adds warmth to the timbre. Creates a bit more 3D texture in sound if that makes sense. The Lotus is a lot clear and clean in timbre. I would describe it as the Pickett has a timbre color of gold with richness and the Lotus is clear and brilliance as silver. Of the people (other musicians, orchestra students, trumpeters) that I have play for comparison, the opinion of choice is split pretty even between which is preferred.

Projection and Resonance: The Lotus projects well and in the lower register, I can feel the vibrations of the horn more. The brilliance of the timbre I believe makes the horn speak out more (or as Adam Rapa says, more output for less input though I don't think it is louder but clearer).

Slots and Tuning: This is the interesting category. The mouthpiece is more in tune on the harmonic series through the horn. The sound has an even richness through out the low to middle register and keep the sound wider as you go into the higher register. So when switch to and from the Lotus and Pickett, I notice the bending that I did not know I was doing on the Pickett before. So i feel that the evenness in timbre and slots is because with the Pickett having to bend the note up or down for tuning purposes, the note is off center of the slot for tuning purposes. In other words, if the note slots 20 cent sharp on a certain note, you now have to play it 20 cent flat off of the slot instead of the center (just an example, the Pickett is not that off but I did not know it as I was switch back and for). This makes the timbre change and the horn feel like it hard to land the note because you are purposely having to the miss the natural target. The overall lengthen of the Lotus is shorter than a convention mouthpiece but surprisingly, I have to push in a tad more with it on the trumpets. I have a typical centimeter ish slide pull and with the lotus, I have to push in about 2mm more. This was true of both Bb and C trumpets.

Comfort: The 4C I feel is a bit smaller than the 3L+ diameter. The rims are different but both are comfortable. The Pickett has a thicker rim cushion where as the Lotus feels a little narrow. The cup volume is larger in the Lotus with the cup not feeling like a traditional C cup. It has a bit of a V cup too it. Not much but it is different.

Mouthpiece works well and similar on both Bb or C trumpet as does the Pickett did for me. Will need to try it on my Eb/D sometime this week.

A specific note on the 3M+ model. This might be a big reason for me to switch to the Lotus. In the past, in search of mouthpieces that I can switch form a C cup to shallower for playing brighter or edgy styles, I feel that I have to change my playing more than I like to get the results. The tuning would also be different so I would not feel at home with the tuning tendencies and blow. With going from the 3L+ to the 3M+, I feel that the changes require of me to play the difference timbre is less and the blow feels much more similar while getting the desire timbre change. With the Pickett, when I go to my D or E cup, I have to change to a tighter backbore such as the 10-3 or 10-4 to adjust the tuning which it turns make the blow noticeably different. I would then I have to pull the tuning slide out more. With the 3L+ to 3M+, I don't think I even need to change my tuning slide.

I am leaning towards taking the switch to Lotus but will give it more time before I sell my other pieces or return the Lotus.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds similar to my switch. See what happens if you stick to only the Lotus for a couple weeks without going back to compare it to your other mouthpiece. You might get used to the sound difference, and/or you might gravitate to your “old” sound eventually. We tend to sound more different on new equipment when it is new.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave it a run on my Yamaha rotary piccolo and Yamaha 9636 Eb/D and it works on those horn too. Playing in a mid size bedroom in my house and I am hearing so much overtones echo. The mouthpiece is much more resonant. It is a really good mouthpiece. I can say I don't think it is all hype. There is something in the R&D to these mouthpieces.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
A specific note on the 3M+ model.

I assume the 3M+ is brighter but how big a difference in sound is there between the 3M+ and the 3L+?
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say same as going from a C to a D cup in bach or pickett. Not huge but noticeable. Not that bright or edgy at soft or mf but does liven up when you step on it sooner than the 3L+ would. For general section playing you could make it work in a music that does not having you going fanfare or fff dynamics.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update. As I had more time play on the lotus, two things.

1. I have found myself pulling out a little further than when I was with the Pickett mouthpiece. Been doing some drone work and it got me a bit more center in tuning with the mouthpiece.

2. I do feel more embouchure corner fatigue than I every had before with other mouthpieces I have play. I am going to take this for now as development and not some bad thing.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
An update. As I had more time play on the lotus, two things.

1. I have found myself pulling out a little further than when I was with the Pickett mouthpiece. Been doing some drone work and it got me a bit more center in tuning with the mouthpiece.

2. I do feel more embouchure corner fatigue than I every had before with other mouthpieces I have play. I am going to take this for now as development and not some bad thing.

Does this phenomena occur equally between the 3L+ and 3M+ or is it more noticable on one of them?
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the slide pull between of the 3L+ and 3M+ is minimum if not none.

On another update, I have decide that the Lotus Mouthpiece is not for me and will be going back to my Pickett setup. The problem for me is that for some reasons that I hypothesize later, the range from top space E to high C above the staff require much more effort from me. Below top space E, it is ok, and above high C to double G, the mouthpiece is great but that between register has me tensing up and wearing me out. I did not notice at first when doing short excerpts and etc but when I started doing Clarke and Arban routines, it was very noticeable.

I have several guesses but not exactly sure why.
1. The mouthpiece requires more air than I am used to blowing because the more open blow. This is from the more V shape cup where as the Pickett is more traditional C cup. The Lotus 3L+ has more cup volume that my 4C pickett which does not help with air compression. The backbore I am assuming is more open than the 10-2/24 on my pickett too.
2. Gap: The pickett shank goes in deeper into the trumpet receiver than the lotus (especially with it shorter shank design). Thus mouthpiece gap is bigger by about 2 mm and maybe creating that strange to me blow from E to high C.
3. Cup Diameter: The Lotus 3 series is a bigger diameter than the Pickett 4. Noticeably different on the face than just spec numbers.
4. The Rim: The flatter rim versus the Pickett rounder rim.
One or several these things become a problem for me. I think it is a well thought out product and has great design for someone that can handle it. Not me.

I will say that the Lotus has a brighter sound for me which was something I was interested in but I don't think my blow works with it well and I start tensing in my chest throat to blow through the notes where as with my Pickett, it feels more relaxed as I can breath through the horn instead of blowing.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
the slide pull between of the 3L+ and 3M+ is minimum if not none.

On another update, I have decide that the Lotus Mouthpiece is not for me and will be going back to my Pickett setup. The problem for me is that for some reasons that I hypothesize later, the range from top space E to high C above the staff require much more effort from me. Below top space E, it is ok, and above high C to double G, the mouthpiece is great but that between register has me tensing up and wearing me out. I did not notice at first when doing short excerpts and etc but when I started doing Clarke and Arban routines, it was very noticeable.

I have several guesses but not exactly sure why.
1. The mouthpiece requires more air than I am used to blowing because the more open blow. This is from the more V shape cup where as the Pickett is more traditional C cup. The Lotus 3L+ has more cup volume that my 4C pickett which does not help with air compression. The backbore I am assuming is more open than the 10-2/24 on my pickett too.
2. Gap: The pickett shank goes in deeper into the trumpet receiver than the lotus (especially with it shorter shank design). Thus mouthpiece gap is bigger by about 2 mm and maybe creating that strange to me blow from E to high C.
3. Cup Diameter: The Lotus 3 series is a bigger diameter than the Pickett 4. Noticeably different on the face than just spec numbers.
4. The Rim: The flatter rim versus the Pickett rounder rim.
One or several these things become a problem for me. I think it is a well thought out product and has great design for someone that can handle it. Not me.

I will say that the Lotus has a brighter sound for me which was something I was interested in but I don't think my blow works with it well and I start tensing in my chest throat to blow through the notes where as with my Pickett, it feels more relaxed as I can breath through the horn instead of blowing.
That's interesting. Back when I played a Monette mouthpiece I felt I had to blow through the notes a lot and ended up fighting it and switching to a Bach mouthpiece. But now with the Lotus I'm playing it in a way where I don't feel it is sucking the air out of me- I feel I am able to play more efficiently and get more sound with less work. However everyone will respond differently especially considering what sound we are trying to make our equipment give us. Your sound concept might be telling you to blow more whereas my concept is responding to the brightness of the mouthpiece causing me to back off the air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: