• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1940's 60's Holton valves Collegiate vs 45 & 48

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwgib
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: 1940's 60's Holton valves Collegiate vs 45 & 48 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the early(1940-50's) Holton Collegiate valves are the same as the model45's or 48's.
I have a rather weird problem and looking to get a donor horn if they are the same.
My 1951 Holton model 48 has a strange issue on the 1st valve that makes it play as if it were the wrong valve or something. It's likely not aligned and I see ever so slight indication of solder on the top part that holds the spring and alignment where it's attached to the bottom valve itself. I think, though not sure, it's been re-soldered on and misaligned ever so slightly. I compared it to the 1st valve from my Holton model 45, which, when put in place of the 1st on the 48, makes the 48 play just fine.
Anyone who has both an early Collegiate and a 45 or 48 that can check, I'd be most grateful.
Alternatively, I'll have to figure a way to determine the proper alignment, de-solder and re-solder the bottom part of the valve correctly, a very challenging task, but doable likely with many attempts of trial and error.
Holton Military 48('51)
Holton 45 ('47)
Pan American 66B('31)
King Liberty('25,'29,'34 Silvertone)
Martin Imperial('64)
Tonk Sterling('19)
H.B.Jay Columbia('19)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: