• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 8335rgs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckster51

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Yamaha 8335rgs Reply with quote

I have a 2011 8335rgs that I'm very pleased with. I haven't really had the opportunity nor interest in trying the gen II horns. Comments on the new gen include fixed slotting issues, less weight. Weight reduction would be nice, but not worth price of a new horn nor have I noticed any slotting probs. My 8335 is definitely better in tune than my S B7, particularly top staff E,F, and A. Slots are also better above staff.

Anyone that has played the new gen, what about them is actually better?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 8335rgs Reply with quote

Chuckster51 wrote:
I have a 2011 8335rgs that I'm very pleased with. I haven't really had the opportunity nor interest in trying the gen II horns. Comments on the new gen include fixed slotting issues, less weight. Weight reduction would be nice, but not worth price of a new horn nor have I noticed any slotting probs. My 8335 is definitely better in tune than my S B7, particularly top staff E,F, and A. Slots are also better above staff.

Anyone that has played the new gen, what about them is actually better?

Mine is a 8335 rather than 8335RGS, but I've played the 6335HII, 8335 Xeno and 8335 Xeno II, and the Xeno II is much better (the 6335HII and 8335 Xeno were very similar in my opinion).

What is much better about the Xeno II? Dynamic control and ability to colour the sound. I found that the previous versions tended to have a very nice sound, but it was difficult to colour, and I found that what I put in my end in terms of colouring the sound, didn't really come out the bell end. Maybe it is the reduced weight (I cannot feel it in my hand), but the Xeno II is far easier to colour the sound, more flexible, more responsive. It responds so much better at quieter dynamics.

I personally haven't noticed any particular differences in slotting, but I've never done a back to back comparison. I'm comparing my experiences of living with them day in day out. I wouldn't say that either the HII or Xeno I had slotting issues in my experience.

I really liked the YTR-8335HII I owned, never actually owned a first generation 8335 Xeno, but played them a fair amount, but really love the 8335 Xeno II. I would go for the Xeno II anyday, but if you really like your trumpet, there is obviously no point in changing.

I've just updated my Yamaha Xeno cornet with a Neo, and they are really similar, but the difference between the Xeno I and Xeno II trumpets is night and day in my opinion.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Chuckster51

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll likely make an appointment with my store to try it out.
Trombacan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: YTR 8335RGS Reply with quote

I have owned and played both the Gen 1 & 2 models. The biggest difference to me was the change from the Gold brass to the Yellow brass bell. I did not find a big difference in the weight or the slotting but I regret selling the RGS as I much preferred the tone with the Gold brass. Both are terrific horns and both I felt were different in feel and sound from the regular leadpipe 8335 Xeno's
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckster51 wrote:
Thanks for the detailed info. I'll likely make an appointment with my store to try it out.

You are very welcome. I'd recommend also trying the standard tuning slide configuration 8335 and 8335G. Personally I prefer the standard configuration.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: YTR 8335RGS Reply with quote

Trombacan wrote:
I have owned and played both the Gen 1 & 2 models. The biggest difference to me was the change from the Gold brass to the Yellow brass bell. I did not find a big difference in the weight or the slotting but I regret selling the RGS as I much preferred the tone with the Gold brass. Both are terrific horns and both I felt were different in feel and sound from the regular leadpipe 8335 Xeno's

Hi Trombacan

I fully understand about the difference in sound between the yellow brass and gold brass bells, but have you tried both the generation 1 and 2 models in each bell material? I think that this would be needed to ultimately ascertain the differences between the generation 1 and 2, and of course you would also have to go for the same configuration.

My Xeno II is the standard tuning slide configuration with the yellow brass bell, so a YTR-8335, and in lacquer.

My Xeno and Neo cornets are the same, and are both model number YCR-8335.

I didn't particularly choose the yellow brass bell or lacquer. I bought my Xeno II trumpet as an ex demo, and both my Xeno and Neo cornets used. I was more than happy to go with the yellow brass bell in lacquer with the Neo, as I've played the Xeno cornet in this configuration for many years.

Personally I prefer the standard tuning slide configuration on the Xeno trumpet. Do I prefer the yellow brass bell? It is a while since I've trialled them back to back, but I really like my sound on my trumpet and cornets, so I clearly do like the sound of the yellow brass bell.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Padre08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Gen 2 of the RGS? What year did they come out? I'm trying to identify a horn I'm buying. Yamaha has no record of it so I can't nail done specific model. Seller says it's a 8335IIRGS.

Thanks for the help!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If the RGS models are like the standard tuning slide configuration, a Xeno II has the tuning fork logo on the bell above the Xeno engraving, and a longer chimney on the main water key.

The standard tuning slide configuration has two stop slide position screws for the 3rd slide, but I'm not sure whether this is the case with the RGS models.

Also, the Xeno II has a vinyl covered zippered case with backpack straps and a pocket on the top. The pocket is either rounded at the edges and there is an additional strap to prevent opening the case with the zippers opened, or the pocket is square at the edges and there is no additional strap. The cases are otherwise identical. The first is for the Xeno-02, the second for the Xeno-04. The trumpet is identical in both cases, the 04 is just an update (upgrade I suppose it is supposed to be) to the case design.

I hope that this will help

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Padre08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info! So, I've been told by 2 different folks, one who used to work for Yamaha and another high seller of Yamaha trumpets, that there was no 2nd generation of the 8335 with gold brass bell. But, I continue to see listings. It's confusing!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padre08 wrote:
Thanks for that info!

You are very welcome.

So, I've been told by 2 different folks, one who used to work for Yamaha and another high seller of Yamaha trumpets, that there was no 2nd generation of the 8335 with gold brass bell.

There is definitely an 8335G, but I take it that you mean the 8335RGS. Yamaha UK list the 8335R, 8335RS, 8335RG, and 8335RGS:

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/winds/trumpets/bb_trumpets/ytr-8335r/index.html

If you click on the photos of one of the trumpets (I chose the 8335RG and 8335RGS), you can see the tuning fork log on the bell, and two stop slide screw positions on the 3rd slide. This latter feature is hard to see from the photos, but comparing the photos with my Xeno 8335 in person, it is easier to see on the photos of the lacquered trumpets, as the mounting for the trigger screw at the closer position (which is the only option on the first generation xeno) which sits on the right of the 3rd slide when looking at the bell, is in yellow brass. The mounting for the further position is on the left side of the 3rd slide (also in yellow brass on a laquered trumpet), and is the yellow thing to the right of the mounting for the closer position. The further mounting is like a circle with a hole through, and the screw inserts with the head at the bottom. You cannot see it very well on these photos, and trumpetherald won't easily allow me to show you a photo of my trumpet, but you will hopefully be able to see this on listing. These two things and a taller chimney on the main waterkey are what to look for.

But, I continue to see listings. It's confusing!

A second generation 8335RG model must exist, because I'm looking at it, as confirmed by the tuning fork logo on the bell, and two alternative positions for the 3rd slide stop screw. It is not that obvious but you can also see the taller main waterkey chimney in the photos.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Padre08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Lou! Very helpful. Would it be possible to send me pics of the second gen RGS? If so, you can send to rtrubey@outlook.com

Much appreciated!
Rusty
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padre08 wrote:
Thanks again Lou! Very helpful. Would it be possible to send me pics of the second gen RGS? If so, you can send to rtrubey@outlook.com

Much appreciated!
Rusty

Hi Rusty

You are again very welcome.

You mean photos of my trumpet rather than the ones on the Yamaha website? Yes, I can email you photos, but my trumpet is not a RGS, it is a 2nd generation 8335 with the yellow brass bell in lacquer.

I've however carefully checked the photos of the R, RS, RG and RGS, and they show the same second generation features. They only differ as far as I can see in having a reversed main tuning slide, and a 1st slide ring rather than saddle.

I'm getting a bit behind today, but will photograph my trumpet for you tomorrow.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty

I've sent the photos.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: