• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Saving Private Ryan/Hymn to the Fallen C and Bb trumpet part

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fintonissimo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Saving Private Ryan/Hymn to the Fallen C and Bb trumpet part Reply with quote

I searched trumpet herald and could not find an answer to a question that I have.

I will be playing Hymn to the Fallen in a few weeks, and in the opening m. 3-6, the 1st trumpet call is notated for C trumpet; but later in the piece, pickup to m. 28, it switches to Bb trumpet.

I'm wondering why Williams wrote it this way, did he prefer the sound of the C trumpet to the Bb for that part of the music, or did he just think that the opening would be easier to play on the C trumpet instead of Bb? When it switches to Bb trumpet, is he really looking for a difference in timbre with a Bb trumpet? My initial thought is that it doesn't make too much of a difference, and that I should just play the whole thing on C trumpet.

I am mostly interested in hearing from anybody that may definitely know the answer to my question, and not as much in speculations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: