• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A question for those who had their favorite horn’s valves

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
I am with Craig ...get a quote from Steve. I have had three horns with valves refitted by him and each time the horn was flawless. I would go so far to say each horn played better than new...slick action.. full rich sound and in tune.

Olds Recording... 1934 Selmer Balanced and Martin Committee.

I suppose using VOIP would keep the cost of an international phone call down. Email to Steve would be cheaper. But the cost of international shipping, plus the risk of damage, might make sending the horn problematic.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another comment about using Schilke....

The customer service was fantastic. Everything in the process was made very clear, including costs and timeline. For a Nervous Nelly like myself, their way of doing business really kept me in my comfort zone.

My communications were with Michael Zielinski.

I really didn't do any price comparison with other shops. Someone I knew did a total overhaul thru Schilke and spoke highly of the process and quality of work. I went that route as I really wanted to get my horn back to Schilke factory specs after over 30 years of wear and tear.

Garry
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Retlaw wrote:
I am with Craig ...get a quote from Steve. I have had three horns with valves refitted by him and each time the horn was flawless. I would go so far to say each horn played better than new...slick action.. full rich sound and in tune.

Olds Recording... 1934 Selmer Balanced and Martin Committee.

I suppose using VOIP would keep the cost of an international phone call down. Email to Steve would be cheaper. But the cost of international shipping, plus the risk of damage, might make sending the horn problematic.

Shipping and the valve job does cost but you take a useless horn and get a new one back for a whole lot less..... Steve packs his trumpets second to none....no damage in my experience..
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are three issues: lack of awareness that there are private trumpet teachers; lack of access to a private teacher locally; and expense of lessons.

I suspect that it never crosses the minds of high school (or younger) students or their parents that private teachers for trumpet players even exist. They think of private lessons if you're a piano student. If you play a wind instrument, they assume you get what you need from your band director.

Once the parents find out that there is actually such a thing as a private teacher for their young trumpet student, I suspect they get a serious case of sticker shock at the cost of private lessons. Some of those same parents may willingly dig into their pocketbooks to pay for the kid's being on a travel baseball, soccer or swimming team, which will likely cost significantly more than trumpet lessons, but that's the way things work, sadly.

With the internet, one can do lessons via Facetime, etc., but that is a relatively new thing. That helps resolve the access issue, but the awareness issue is real. Particularly in small town America, I don't think there is widespread knowledge that private teachers are an option.

I agree that the same problem exists with comeback players, particularly those of us who grew up in small towns.

Take care,
Marc Speed
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
I think there are three issues: lack of awareness that there are private trumpet teachers; lack of access to a private teacher locally; and expense of lessons.

I suspect that it never crosses the minds of high school (or younger) students or their parents that private teachers for trumpet players even exist. They think of private lessons if you're a piano student. If you play a wind instrument, they assume you get what you need from your band director.

Once the parents find out that there is actually such a thing as a private teacher for their young trumpet student, I suspect they get a serious case of sticker shock at the cost of private lessons. Some of those same parents may willingly dig into their pocketbooks to pay for the kid's being on a travel baseball, soccer or swimming team, which will likely cost significantly more than trumpet lessons, but that's the way things work, sadly.

With the internet, one can do lessons via Facetime, etc., but that is a relatively new thing. That helps resolve the access issue, but the awareness issue is real. Particularly in small town America, I don't think there is widespread knowledge that private teachers are an option.

I agree that the same problem exists with comeback players, particularly those of us who grew up in small towns.

Take care,
Marc Speed

Let’s stay on topic. This thread is about valve rebuilds. Perhaps you accidentally commented on the wrong thread?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: