• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet to play 2nd ( or 3rd )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Trumpet to play 2nd ( or 3rd ) Reply with quote

Hi

Never saw a topic with a subject like this !

I have several gigs coming up in orchestral settings wher eI 'll be playing the lower chairs.
What horn would you recommend to get these low notes ( I have some Mozart's stuff ) popping ?

thanks

JiCe
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What horn are you using? The one you have will probably be fine.

Anecdotally, I heard that Vacchiano used to recommend a wider diameter but slightly shallower mouthpiece to help the low register speak better.

I tested this and find that it does have some workability, since I find a very large deep mouthpiece may be too thuddy and dark sounding in the low register, causing the lower parts to be lost in the musical texture.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet to play 2nd ( or 3rd ) Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Hi

I have several gigs coming up in orchestral settings wher eI 'll be playing the lower chairs.
What horn would you recommend to get these low notes ( I have some Mozart's stuff ) popping ?

thanks

JiCe

How about simply playing with good production and a resonant tone quality, in-tune on your current equipment?

I have seen players switch trumpet to go from Classical to Commercial or Jazz settings, and equally change between full blown Symphonic playing and smaller chamber requirements, but never changing instrument between 1st and 2nd.

You want to work at producing a weighty, broad sound that complements the first player. Ideally (and you have to be smart about this) you want to always play a tiny increment louder than the first player, but with a bit less attack and less brightness to the sound. This gives the first player the confidence to play fully without sticking out of the texture. Don't make the common mistake of trying to 'hide' underneath the first player, you want to 'blend' but this is not achieved by playing quieter than them with no direction or accuracy of time- even though you might feel like you are 'blending' you make life much harder for the first player and they won't thank you. Listen to the phrasing and intonation of the first player, theses are elements you must match, and it is made much easier if you are playing confidently and, at the very least, matching the dynamic of the first trumpet. An important point is the tuning in octaves, often an inexperienced player will duck out when there are bare octaves between the trumpets and play too quietly; this leaves the first trumpet very exposed and usually throws the tuning entirely. When bare octaves come up you should, as the second player, really aim to punch out that lower octave (generally mark it up a dynamic) as this gives the first trumpet a solid base to sit on top of and tends to help the intonation hugely- bizarrely enough it also gives the first player more confidence to play softer, and can improve the overall feel of softer entries too.

All the best
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet to play 2nd ( or 3rd ) Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
jicetp wrote:
Hi

thanks

JiCe

How about simply playing with good production and a resonant tone quality, in-tune on your current equipment?

I have seen players switch trumpet to go from Classical to Commercial or Jazz settings, and equally change between full blown Symphonic playing and smaller chamber requirements, but never changing instrument between 1st and 2nd.

You want to work at producing a weighty, broad sound that complements the first player. Ideally (and you have to be smart about this) you want to always play a tiny increment louder than the first player, but with a bit less attack and less brightness to the sound. This gives the first player the confidence to play fully without sticking out of the texture. Don't make the common mistake of trying to 'hide' underneath the first player, you want to 'blend' but this is not achieved by playing quieter than them with no direction or accuracy of time- even though you might feel like you are 'blending' you make life much harder for the first player and they won't thank you. Listen to the phrasing and intonation of the first player, theses are elements you must match, and it is made much easier if you are playing confidently and, at the very least, matching the dynamic of the first trumpet. An important point is the tuning in octaves, often an inexperienced player will duck out when there are bare octaves between the trumpets and play too quietly; this leaves the first trumpet very exposed and usually throws the tuning entirely. When bare octaves come up you should, as the second player, really aim to punch out that lower octave (generally mark it up a dynamic) as this gives the first trumpet a solid base to sit on top ofand tends to help the intonation hugely- bizarrely enough it also gives the first player more confidence to play softer, and can improve the overall feel of softer entries too.

All the best

Great post, LSO. Providing a solid foundation for the section is the ticket. Plus, it really feels good when all those harmonics line up. I'm getting goose bumps thinking about when I heard CSO play Beethove 5 ca. 1967. Herseth and Cichowicz were rocking it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: