• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When are you good enough to gig? How do you get started?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: When are you good enough to gig? How do you get started? Reply with quote

Not sure where this question belongs (performers?) but it seemed to fit here...

I'm curious how folk in small ensembles got started on them or how they knew when they were ready, especially for amateurs or non-pros.

I've done church accompaniment now and also play in a community band. When I move back to my main location, I'm by a jazz pub. They have a house band that plays on Sunday nights when there's almost no crowd, and also an open mic night on Tuesdays (both are "no cover" nights and often the band is as big as the audience). The house band also allows folk to play along later in the evening, and seems to primarily playing the real book off of ipads (I think the band is a piano, guitar, bass, and drums).

A few questions:
-Is there protocol on approaching the house band to see if I could play along sometime (probably during their play along segment later in the night)?
-Any tips on playing unaccompanied if I do the open mic? Is this possible or an invitation to humiliation?
-Ideas about working my way into a group or finding others to put together a few pieces?

My dilemma is that I'm not all that great of a player--I certainly don't have the skills to put together a band or lead. At the same time I could probably play along in a combo and I have time to slowly improve in the years ahead. Grateful for any advice!
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first instrumental "gig" (other than private teacher recitals) was in the pit of my third grade Christmas program when I was 9 years old. I was the only one who had any piano lessons, so I played the glock for the "bell" parts, including - get this - a number that had a descending G major scale. Everyone was worried I would remember the F#!!! Of course, I did! And the rest is history.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're good enough to gig when you can find someone who will pay you . . and invite you back.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as whether you’re ready, would you hire you?

Getting started can be tricky, but a good way is showing up to local jams, maybe try a community band....just getting some exposure, experience and meeting other players is a start. I would expect zero little pay starting out.

As far as sitting in with the band you mentioned, don’t take it personally if they decline. I know the band that I play with never allows that, you never know if the person is competent or not, and if they’re a train wreck it reflects on the band.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Getting started can be tricky, but a good way is showing up to local jams, maybe try a community band....just getting some exposure, experience and meeting other players is a start. I would expect zero little pay starting out.

As far as sitting in with the band you mentioned, don’t take it personally if they decline. I know the band that I play with never allows that, you never know if the person is competent or not, and if they’re a train wreck it reflects on the band.

Brad

It looks like the community band path hasn’t paid off yet for the OP.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

That's funny. Actually, that criteria can be slippery.

My first gig was for a bunch of half-in-the-bag swabbies and some questionable local girls at the Pearl Harbor Rec. Center when I was fifteen.

I was glad to get the gig but you can be sure that if I was hiring, I wouldn't have hired me.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
It looks like the community band path hasn’t paid off yet for the OP.[/quote]

I am playing as opportunities arise and I'm not looking for money. Trumpet is definitely a hobby and I'm grateful for any chance I get to play. So far I've played a couple of times in church and now I've been working on transposing and descants. The community band is actually going very well and I really like it (playing 2nd/3rd trumpet), but I'm only here for a year and then had back home. I also really like the folk in the band (~50 people, very big trumpet section), but it's more marches and patriotic music, and I'm interested in trying something else. Part of my question is "what next?"

"Home" has the jazz pub, a church, etc., but probably no community orchestra. I also have little kids, so I'm limited on how much I can do. I don't think I'm good enough for a brass quartet. The easiest thing would be if I could either play at open performance night or join the house band when/if they allow it (I've been on their open play nights and it is a little awkward, often someone subbing in on drums or guitar). Kids would all be asleep then.

I've gotten some helpful advice here and am grateful. I may come back with more specific questions about music I could play without accompaniment or jazz standards that "everyone should know." Thanks!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad suggested a community band was a good way to get started gigging. Since you were already part of a community band when you asked the question, my point was that being a part didn’t help you get gigs.

Paid off in my usage did not refer to money.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense--and I'm grateful for your posts. It has paid off but there's a limit on how long I can do it because of my job.

In some ways I'm envious of my fellow community band members because many have done this for years, and then some of them have indeed gone on to join Christmas groups, the local orchestra, coffee house ragtime group, etc. That would be a good trajectory to have (and then there are some who were basically semi-pro and now do this in retirement because they love it).

Another avenue is that when I'm back home there's a jazz player who did trumpet performance and I'm hoping I could take lessons with him. He may have ideas also.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play in a truly professional environment, what you have to be able to do is PLAY. I get the impression from your posts that you can't yet. This is not meant to be unkind or disingenuous, just trying to put your original question in perspective.

Dismissing humorous pay gigs like my experience at Pearl Harbor, maybe you need to spend more time in the woodshed. You normally get back what you pay into. Good luck.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, and to be honest, I probably won't be able to play in a truly professional environment, so I'm trying to figure out what short of that I can play in, and how to work towards better playing.

What I've been doing: I have one solo that was recommended here that I've been practicing, I've been working in Arbans, I've been playing the community band repertoire, and I've been playing in a fake book.

If I am ready when I head back home, what I may do is prep a few pieces I could play for the open mic night. I will also keep exploring band possibilities--it may be I could find some other folk also just looking to play.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
That makes sense, and to be honest, I probably won't be able to play in a truly professional environment, so I'm trying to figure out what short of that I can play in, and how to work towards better playing.

What I've been doing: I have one solo that was recommended here that I've been practicing, I've been working in Arbans, I've been playing the community band repertoire, and I've been playing in a fake book.

If I am ready when I head back home, what I may do is prep a few pieces I could play for the open mic night. I will also keep exploring band possibilities--it may be I could find some other folk also just looking to play.

It sounds like you’re sincere and are trying to improve your level of playing. Probably the single best thing you could do in order to do that is private lessons. Seriously, if you’re really....uh.....serious 😉, lessons will definitely speed your progress. That and PRACTICE.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kehaulani"]....My first gig was for a bunch of half-in-the-bag swabbies and some questionable local girls at the Pearl Harbor Rec. Center when I was fifteen.
...../quote]

That actually sounds like a pretty fun gig!😎

Brad
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, lessons. Not only will you improve, but you may also ask about playing opportunities.

A couple of other ideas:

I came back 20 years ago after 30 years away from playing. I joined the senior center beginner band- middle school concert band level. Finally, I asked a tenor player if we could work on improvisation with his teacher. A few others joined us, then more. Now we are an occasionally performing big band. You only need to find 1-3 people to have a little jam session at someone's house. That was my original idea; it just became much more. A neighbor holds jam sessions once in a while that plays songs out of the Real Book. That is perfect for me.

You also can use playalongs. They aren't perfect, but they can be useful and fun. The Aebersold books are the gold standard. Learn Jazz Standards is also a good resource.

1963 Connstellation
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
....My first gig was for a bunch of half-in-the-bag swabbies and some questionable local girls at the Pearl Harbor Rec. Center when I was fifteen.

That actually sounds like a pretty fun gig!😎

It was kind'a dreary actually, Brad.

But on the way home, I passed by a football field that had two football teams on it; one of swabbies and the other made of jarheads and they were fighting each other. Even the stands had emptied. They hated each other. Now, that was pretty funny!

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the response--I just saw it. I like the idea of finding a few other people at a similar skill level when I'm back home and have some ideas on how to do that.

I also read the reddit trumpet page and somewhere there asked a similar question about amateur ensembles:
https://www.reddit.com/r/trumpet/comments/akuz60/what_kind_of_amateur_ensembles_exist/
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a swabbie?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamajazzlady wrote:
What is a swabbie?

A person in the Navy, as in “swab the deck.”

Brad
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started in the local pops band, after over 20 years off the horn. I played for a couple years, then decided I had had enough of Abersold's and CD's, and wanted to play with other musicians.

The band was total volunteers, no audition, just show up and grab a folder. I sat last chair, from day one for the entire 7 years on and off I played with them.

I understood, even when I knew I was better (or at least thought I was) than some of the folks playing 1st and 2nd part, there was a need for filling out the harmonies. Nobody wanted to play 3rd or 4th, so I did. Every now and again, there was a nice surprise solo in those parts, always did the best I could.

One night during break, a guy came up and asked me if I would be interested in playing in his band. I asked what type music they played, he said rock and roll, blues, pop, from the 1950's to present. I said sure, will give it a shot.

This is one of the few songs I play lead on, in the video am the guy with the beard in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdZfONF1ck

And another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdZfONF1ck

Playing backup flugel on this one. Am the fat bellied guy in the middle at 0:38 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCeIrz2f2o
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth

Last edited by plp on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! And a fun video That looks like an entertaining group--what a blast.

It definitely sounds like part of this is just being available, friendly, and visible.

I'm also not looking to play lead or 1st chair, just for different groups to be involved with. I'm trying to improve a little every day. Thank you for sharing your story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: