• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is it just my impression.....

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a main reason for losing valued members. I have nothing against new users asking pertinent questions but many questions can be answered by simply searching the forums. Instructions for using Google to search TH should be in a banner at the top of every page.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be quite a bit of baby-boomer/gen X soap-boxing here about how millennials are lazy. For the record: Millennials are the generation from approximately 1980 to 1993. I don't think a bunch of 25 year olds are asking about high school band unless they are woodwind primary band teachers asking for some guidance from us. I am considered a millennial and I have to tell you: I have worked to get to where I am. Most of my friends and colleagues have worked to get where they are. So it really pisses me off when gen X and baby boomers go off and crap all over us when it is the generation after us that is really gumming up the works. So before I address the real issue here let me end this rant by saying this: We did not create this age of convenience and instant gratification. We did not invent the internet. We did not invent the participation trophy. We did not invent sticking ourselves in front of a TV, Nintendo, cell-phone, iPad, whatever else you want to use here to keep us occupied or quiet. That was all adults that came before us. You reap what you sow, unfortunately.

Now. On to the real issue at hand.

I live in an area where the economy is such that not everyone can afford lessons, or their parents don't want to pay for lessons, or the band program cannot afford/won't pay for lessons. I have to drive to a few different schools to teach most of my lessons to help alleviate this problem. I have several students in the last five years here who have paid for lessons with their own money from jobs they work at. So. No, hard work isn't dead.

In my master's degree I was foolish enough to show up without some terms translated and was reamed out (very rightfully so, and thank you to my professor who kicked me in the butt) that I had no excuse not to know things because information is so easily accessed on the internet. So answer me this: when people cannot afford lessons or do not have the opportunity to receive them but DO have the internet what should they do? Struggle aimlessly on their own with their beginning band method book? Or use the internet to ask questions, watch videos and see/hear other things they do not normally see?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a new post asks a basic question that has a simple 'FAQ answer', there will probably be someone who answers it in the first 12 hours - there's no need to feel that you need to immediately jump on it.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trumpet teacher within 90 miles of where I live.
Search function on TH is frustrating.
If search actually yields a pertinent thread, posts are often off topic, lecturing, or argumentative.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father used to say, "There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid answers." That may have been an oversimplification but the gist of it was that the search for knowledge has merit and should be respected regardless of the form it takes.

I'm not offended by people asking questions on TH which have been previously thoroughly discussed here. People don't have an obligation to research the forums (assuming they even know how to do that effectively) and they're not burdening our time because we have no obligation to respond, responding is purely elective.

To the extent asking a question here is being used as a substitute for a teacher I don't have a problem with that either. The search for knowledge is the search for knowledge whether the question is posed to a teacher or is posed here. Keep in mind that there are a lot of teachers on TH, so questions here are being posed to teachers.

It's been mentioned that some people can't afford a teacher or are located in areas in which teachers are non-existent. For such people TH can be a valuable teaching tool they otherwise wouldn't have available to them, so more power to such inquisitive people.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
My father used to say, "There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid answers."
My father's response was also uniform, "Look it up!".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently search google paired with trumpetherald to get answers. I love reading the old discussions from years ago. I learn a lot. I used to use the search function here but got frustrated. Then someone pointed out the google pairing and solved the problem. Thanks to that person.

We are all different. I hated school. I hated sitting in a classroom with someone talking at me. I wanted to just read the book and take the tests. The problem with private lessons is that you are getting just one person's opinion. What if it is wrong? You've just wasted a ton of time and money. What if what they are teaching at that moment doesn't address what you are needing? And you are not savvy enough to recognize that? There are so many factors that just saying get a teacher isn't enough. There is rarely just one answer for everyone. We are all so different.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I frequently search google paired with trumpetherald to get answers.

Could you please tell me what you mean by “paired with”?
Is this a technique that would improve my searching, or do you just mean “search Google” AND “search Trumpetherald”?
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a useful way to search a specific site via Google; using this site as an example, enter

site:trumpetherald.com subject

where "subject" is what you're searching for; such as

229 vs 239 bell
what mouthpiece is best
how can I play double high C
are ebay Chinese horns as good as a Bach

ad nauseum
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
My father used to say, "There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid answers."
My father's response was also uniform, "Look it up!".

"Looking it up" is nothing more than seeking information from a more informed source. People who pose questions on TH are, in fact, functionally engaging in the "looking it up" process.

Maybe your father didn't know the answer or otherwise thought it would be better for you to obtain the answer from others and/or reach your own conclusion. Certainly the Socratic method of teaching is a time honored process although it can be extremely frustrating to the student.

However, I've never known a good trumpet teacher who taught by the Socratic method (which is, essentially, "figure it out on your own and then let me know what you conclude so I can then tell you whether you're right or wrong").
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of thoughtful and valid responses!

One point I want to bring up, in relation to the following quote:

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room”.

That was by Socrates. My point is I realize that it’s common for an older generation to wring their hands over younger ones, and I was not making any blanket generalizations about “kids”, meaning in this case 21 and younger.
There definitely ARE differences in the world kids today have to navigate in, and certainly not every change is for the worse.

The absolute LAST thing I would want to do is discourage any student from asking a music related question here, even if it has been asked multiple times.
But I also would not want any kid or kid’s parents to believe that a forum like this is a substitute for a teacher, and I also realize that finding a QUALIFIED one isn’t easy either.

Brad
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Also, our music ed programs need to take a long hard and hard look at the trumpet portion of brass methods. As I listen to concerts at our state MEA convention, judge all-state auditions, etc., I find that the trumpet sections are consistently weaker than other parts of the band. What is missing in pre-service pedagogy and what's missing in the instruction of our students?

This is an interesting observation and one that I've heard from several teachers (many of whom I respect a great deal) over the past few years. I'd be interested to know whether you thought of this downturn in trumpet pedagogy as a relatively recent phenomenon, or something that has been an issue for a while.

I ask because I regularly hear these sorts of statements. Meanwhile, at the professional level, the average standard has never been higher than it is today. So what gives? What is causing the disconnect between what teachers are experiencing with their young brass students and the professional brass playing world, where boundaries are being pushed further than ever before?

Regarding younger players seeking advice here, I think it comes down to access. I think it's safe to assume that many of the players who regularly post here have had private lessons at some point in their life. It's easy to forget that private music lessons are a luxury that is not available to the majority of public school band students in this country. Finances, time, and location can all be prohibiting factors.

On a separate note, I really take issue with the notion that the reason we see young players asking for advice here is because "kids don't know how to work hard anymore and instead use the internet as a shortcut". The internet is a resource, one that is available in many places where a trumpet teacher is not. Painting younger generation(s) with the broad brush of laziness, sense of entitlement, etc is just as foolish as proclaiming older generations as a whole to be ignorant and out-of-touch.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to say that right now there's a new post up from a returning player after 40 years and another player has chimed in with a similar story... so maybe this is all the fault of the boomers, returning to trumpet in droves in retirement

I can actually imagine some other reasons. Many of us can't register at trumpetmaster so maybe more folk are coming here. It could also be that for oldtimers here the arrival of newbies is more irritating than it used to be. It may be that there's a bigger wave of students playing brass--which would be great. It may also be that today's digital natives are more willing to jump in with questions than even the ones ten years ago.

I would take it as a compliment... There's room here both for the venerable, deeply respected pros and also for people who aren't that good and are just trying to play a little better.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told, "Take the best and leave the rest." This can be difficult as only experience can teach you to filter out what is nonsense from what is relevant. Newcomers, of any age, to this medium need to figure out the difference and must also face abrasive and sometimes abusive replies to their innocently oft-reposed questions.

Those with some internet time under their belts should try to remember what it was like for them at the beginning and bear it in mind when crafting responses. It's very easy to unintentionally appear to be critical so spending a little extra time trying to imagine how your post will be received is worth the effort if you want to be taken seriously and don't want to drive newcomers away.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
I have been told, "Take the best and leave the rest." This can be difficult as only experience can teach you to filter out what is nonsense from what is relevant. Newcomers, of any age, to this medium need to figure out the difference and must also face abrasive and sometimes abusive replies to their innocently oft-reposed questions.

Those with some internet time under their belts should try to remember what it was like for them at the beginning and bear it in mind when crafting responses. It's very easy to unintentionally appear to be critical so spending a little extra time trying to imagine how your post will be received is worth the effort if you want to be taken seriously and don't want to drive newcomers away.

Very well stated and to the point exactly.
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: