• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Torpedo cases- seldom asked questions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Torpedo cases- seldom asked questions Reply with quote

Hi. I'm on the quest for a new single case, primarily to transport my trumpet, but also to use regularly for local practices etc. I seem to have read dozens of posts telling of the robustness of Torpedo cases. No doubts there. They sound bullet proof. I just have a couple of questions before I part with my money, more about practicality in regular use...

1 How do people find the practicality of hauling your trumpet out by the bell? It seems a bit awkward to me, having not used one. Some seem to use a internal sock to haul out the trumpet. Picking up by the edge of the bell seems like a good way to drop the trumpet and safer to hold onto a lead pipe or further down the bell.

Some folk store/protect their trumpets in the torpedo at intervals etc (which sounds like a good idea - I hate leaving my trumpet on a stand for others to kick over. so...

2 Maybe silly but, how much dribble end up down the lead-pipe into the bottom of the case. Sounds like it could get pretty grotty with time. I suppose a sock could be washed if that was used. Maybe I'm overestimating the amount of dribble LOL

3 Do you store your trumpet closed in a Torpedo? If so, does it ever dry out...OK, I suppose if I practiced all the time it wouldn't dry out completely anyway, but it just seems like a fairly airtight cocoon for a metal object that can corrode. Or do you take the horn out to dry out elsewhere?

These might be pedantic (and maybe silly?) but being able to survive being run over by a steam roller is only one (important) aspect to a case.

Interested in Torpedo-users views.

Thanks

Richard
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one which I've used extensively for years. I like it very much, and have not found any of the things you mentioned to be a problem. I did initially find the circular shape somewhat uncomfortable on my back, but I put a bit of blue foam in the music pouch, and that was the end of that concern.

Last edited by Steve A on Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Outlaw when traveling and any time I play it outside the house.

1. Unless your fingers are covered with grease, I doubt it would be a problem. I always put my stand in the bell and assemble it before I take the horn out. Regular prudent handling should suffice.

2. Once I'm done playing (and take care to wait a couple minutes after I'm done for most the spit to travel to the tuning slide valve while it's on the stand), I don't worry about dribble. It's in a horizontal position the vast majority of the time it's in the case.

3. Not really applicable to me, I wipe it down and keep it in the factory case when I get home.

I am extremely happy with mine.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For #2, purchase The Best Damn Leadpipe Swab Period and swab the horn’s tuning slide and leadpipe before putting it in the case.

Doing so will help prevent red rot too.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you transporting yourself and the horn? I traveled by car to wind ensemble and big band rehearsals and gigs using a Gaard gig bag. Never had a problem.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
USCGRick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t care for them. I’ve used one and I don’t care for pulling my horn out by the bell either. I also don’t care for storing my horn vertically either. And finally the case isn’t as tough as one might think. You need to be especially careful with the end by the bell as that is a very weak point. An example would be if traveling through security at the airport. Placing the case on the belt and letting it go bell forward so it could hit as it gets pushed out the end. I’ve seen damaged bells from this.
Mine is in the closet now collecting dust.
Happy to sell mine cheap to get rid of it.

Harrelson Bb VPS Summit One
Harrelson C VPS Summit
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
How are you transporting yourself and the horn? I traveled by car to wind ensemble and big band rehearsals and gigs using a Gaard gig bag. Never had a problem.

Me neither, never dented a trumpet in my life, well, hardly. But I'm taking it on long international flights (when I buy the new trumpet - NZ is a long way from anywhere) so wanted something protective for that. Most of the time, a standard hard case is fine. My leading alternative at the moment is to just use my Yamaha double case and add a bit of padding/bubble wrap for the trip.

Yes, maybe a decent leadpipe swab would be a good idea too. Although, I've never experienced rot (or even much tarnish) either.

Thanks for the other comments.
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USCGRick wrote:
I don’t care for them. I’ve used one and I don’t care for pulling my horn out by the bell either. I also don’t care for storing my horn vertically either. And finally the case isn’t as tough as one might think. You need to be especially careful with the end by the bell as that is a very weak point. An example would be if traveling through security at the airport. Placing the case on the belt and letting it go bell forward so it could hit as it gets pushed out the end. I’ve seen damaged bells from this.
Mine is in the closet now collecting dust.
Happy to sell mine cheap to get rid of it.

That's an interesting counterpoint to other comments and was what I was wondering. The Yamaha double case is sounding more and more like the best solution.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used Torpedoes for about 11 years, all single horn models, currently the Outlaw Loredos, but also the Peacemaker and Classic.

Never had ANY problem in removing the horn by the bell, just grab the leadpip as you’re pulling it out.

I store the horns in them after a gig, AFTER using one of Tim Wendt’s leadpipe swans. I do lay the case down horizontally so there are no issues there.

IMO, all their models offer excellent protection and portability, and they double for a VERY protective horn stand on gig breaks.

Brad
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used one for several years. No problems, but I’ve not traveled with it by air.
One time when I pulled the horn out, the 1st slide came off down in the case, but no damage.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the torpedo but had a gig bag that went in and out in the same way. I gave the bag away years ago. I was never a fan of sliding it in like that versus convenience of just being able to set the horn down and close the case lid, since I avoid using a stand if possible. I don't see the need to compromise functionality for being indestructible.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
One time when I pulled the horn out, the 1st slide came off down in the case, but no damage.
Me, too. Started securing the slide with an elastic hair tie and hasn’t happened again.
— Joe
bear30101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a torpedo classic. I bought a protective pillowcase from Walmart for seven bucks. The breathable kind that keeps a pillow from absorbing moisture and miscellaneous debris.
The trumpet goes in the pillowcase, receiver first, and the trumpet slides into and out of the case easily and I don't have to pull on the bell, just the pillowcase. Oil, grease, etc. are captured inside the pillowcase.
I wash the pillowcase when appropriate. The torpedo is clean and fresh inside as when new. (It's about 8 years old.)
The open case also acts as a mute stand on gigs.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omelet wrote:
I never had the torpedo but had a gig bag that went in and out in the same way.
I had a Humes & Berg single Tuxedo bag that was an end loader before I got the Torpedo classic. I have never felt uncomfortable or at risk unloading my horn by the bell. I fully extract the horn by the bell, specifically, 5 finger tips griping around the bell rim, using my right hand until I can grip it normally with my left.

I think the classic cases are very protective (I have 2). The original has a carry loop that puts the case in a slightly angled, end down position. I have banged the heck out of my shins and have put gouges in some door frames with that. I like the later loop that carries the bag horizontally. But I liked the removable backpack straps on the original. Oh well.

Sorry, never flown with it.

It can roll around in a van floor, for example, so you have to secure it.

The classic is not a small case. I have a Walt Johnson single that is not much bigger than the trumpet itself that I use if space is a premium - but it carries nothing else but a mouthpiece and maybe a bottle of valve oil.

I put a piece of cotton t-shirt in the bottom of my classic which maybe has helped with drainage? I don’t really check it often.

I never thought about potential problems with leaving a horn in there over time. Maybe I should worry about that. I have not noticed anything - but I have had horns that were not in a case damaged by kids and cats.

— Joe
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear30101 wrote:
I use a torpedo classic. I bought a protective pillowcase from Walmart for seven bucks. The breathable kind that keeps a pillow from absorbing moisture and miscellaneous debris.
The trumpet goes in the pillowcase, receiver first, and the trumpet slides into and out of the case easily and I don't have to pull on the bell, just the pillowcase. Oil, grease, etc. are captured inside the pillowcase.
I wash the pillowcase when appropriate. The torpedo is clean and fresh inside as when new. (It's about 8 years old.)
The open case also acts as a mute stand on gigs.

That sounds like a great idea. I will have to try it.

I have sat on mine when a chair wasn’t available.

— Joe
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my brown leather Laredo all the time. In orchestra pits it’s small enough to go under or next to my chair. On flights it fits in the overhead lockers easily, and there is no danger of other luggage damaging my trumpet. It’s only used for transportation. When home my trumpet goes on a stand. The shoulder strap is great too, it means I can carry my mutes, stand, pads, glasses, water, etc. in a separate bag and still have a hand free for doors etc.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
GuillaumeM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

I have got a torpedo for a few years.
It's a great case... You won't have any issue with it
As mentioned above, I sometimes use it riding a bicycle, and the rounded shape of the bag can be a bit annoying. That's it.
As for your questions :

1 No issue taking out the trumpet out of the bag from the bell.
That too happened to me : the first slide slipped out and stayed in the bag. My mistake because I didnt lock it.

2 Getting a swab could be a good option

3 You can let the bag open if you want. But there is no reason for letting a wet instrument within the bag. And that's also the case for any bag or hardcase.
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like there are plenty of folk who love em, and a number who don't and the only way to know would be to try one. Maybe I can see if the local music store can order one to try out in the shop as I doubt they'll have any in stock.

Cheers
Richard
liscagle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. This is very helpful.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be worried about the end loading design, but after seeing how firmly the case sits on its end while I vertically insert/remove my trumpet, it is no longer a concern. I wouldn't want to insert/remove the trumpet while the case was laying on it's side (horizontally).

I'd also be a little more concerned if I had a tuning bell horn, or a horn with less than normal bracings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: