• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Torpedo cases- seldom asked questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amymustijujitsumyma wrote:
3) the trumpet i kept in that bag was a vintage balanced model and, after a year or so of using the torpedo there seemed to have been some slight droop in the leadpipe, we could only think to attribute this to the pressure of the torpedo bag, (and this was ultimately what caused me to get rid of the case)

the torpedo IS good, and it is protective buuuut i think for lack of comfort and the price (new price at least) i think there's plenty other cases out there that offer ample protection and ergonomic design -
thomann do some good ones, pro tec even do a good hardcase, fusion bags and maybe tom and will? (although i have only ever had a soft case form them) i do think that the marketing for torpedo bags is great though!!!
i guess bottom line imo is yes great bags, but there's plenty other options - if you see one second hand probs worth it if your horn isn't fragile

Having used Torpedos for about 12 years, though anything is possible, I can’t see how a Torpedo could cause a leadpipe to droop. The horn is supported on the bell end, and the mouthpiece receiver rests on a pad in the case bottom.

To each his own, but they work for me.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
amymustijujitsumyma wrote:
3) the trumpet i kept in that bag was a vintage balanced model and, after a year or so of using the torpedo there seemed to have been some slight droop in the leadpipe, we could only think to attribute this to the pressure of the torpedo bag, (and this was ultimately what caused me to get rid of the case)

the torpedo IS good, and it is protective buuuut i think for lack of comfort and the price (new price at least) i think there's plenty other cases out there that offer ample protection and ergonomic design -
thomann do some good ones, pro tec even do a good hardcase, fusion bags and maybe tom and will? (although i have only ever had a soft case form them) i do think that the marketing for torpedo bags is great though!!!
i guess bottom line imo is yes great bags, but there's plenty other options - if you see one second hand probs worth it if your horn isn't fragile

Having used Torpedos for about 12 years, though anything is possible, I can’t see how a Torpedo could cause a leadpipe to droop. The horn is supported on the bell end, and the mouthpiece receiver rests on a pad in the case bottom.

To each his own, but they work for me.

Brad
If the mouthpiece receiver rests on the bottom of the case, couldn’t dropping the case at an angle put sideways pressure on the pipe, causing the pipe to distort?

I have no experience with with torpedo nor do any of my fellow players, so this is just a question based on Brad’s post.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet is in a way suspend in cushion on the side and at the bell with padding on the bottom it case for some reason the leadpipe or back of the bell were to reach the bottom. It would be quite a bit of inertia to get the horn to bottom out and hit the bottom of the case (in which case, no case I can imagine on the market would protect from that kind of damaging force).

The reason I use and like the Torpedo Coyote and now Peacemaker instead of switching to other (though I was tempted to get something lighter or carry 3 or 4 full size horns) is that the way the horns sit on Torpedo bags, there is very little wiggling of the horn once they are put in place (which is one thing I do not like about the Yamaha Double). It is the horns' ability to move within the case that can cause damage in seemingly small impacts or drops.

And after using a Reunion Blue triple leather bag in college and having pinky rings pop off and just notice how squishy the bag is, I personally don't like using something that does not have a hard shell to it. It is not that I am not planning on being careful (I have done slip ups and stuff before), but I don't like being in a soft case around other people's accidents.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Torpedo Classic was more comfy to tote around (I tote them around a fair amount in my gig) I would have bought one for myself long ago. But it's not, in my opinion. I really don't like it on my back, I don't like it slung over my shoulder, either. I also don't like it rolling around in my trunk, which they do. Sometimes I have a bunch of stuff back there and it doesn't, but sometimes it's just my case. I guess I could tote it around with the handle, but I can do that with a square case.

If I really travelled, beyond from my house to work (maybe) and a gig, then I'd probably already have one. I'll probably break down and get it at some point, but every time I'm close, I schelp the ones at my job and remember that I don't really the feel of it.

I can see the issues people describe about getting the horn in and out. I'm not a huge fan of that process, either. I do own weird quirky horns that might not get along with it. I could probably live with the some of those annoyances, but the sum has stopped me from ordering one... at least so far.

Build quality is excellent, durability - excellent. Customer service, excellent. If you don't share my feelings about the shape and feel, then I couldn't recommend it enough (and have, and will continue to do so).
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
If the Torpedo Classic was more comfy to tote around (I tote them around a fair amount in my gig) I would have bought one for myself long ago. But it's not, in my opinion. I really don't like it on my back, I don't like it slung over my shoulder, either. I also don't like it rolling around in my trunk, which they do. Sometimes I have a bunch of stuff back there and it doesn't, but sometimes it's just my case. I guess I could tote it around with the handle, but I can do that with a square case.

If I really travelled, beyond from my house to work (maybe) and a gig, then I'd probably already have one. I'll probably break down and get it at some point, but every time I'm close, I schelp the ones at my job and remember that I don't really the feel of it.

I can see the issues people describe about getting the horn in and out. I'm not a huge fan of that process, either. I do own weird quirky horns that might not get along with it. I could probably live with the some of those annoyances, but the sum has stopped me from ordering one... at least so far.

Build quality is excellent, durability - excellent. Customer service, excellent. If you don't share my feelings about the shape and feel, then I couldn't recommend it enough (and have, and will continue to do so).

They are certainly not perfect, like everything else, and some folks like them, some don’t. One question though, ever check out the Outlaw or Outlaw Loredo? They are a bit smaller and lighter, I think they are more “shoulder friendly” also. Another thing I like about the Torpedos is you don’t need to find somewhere to lay the case down to open it, and I like how they can be a protective “horn stand” on breaks. The horn still slides in mouthpiece receiver first, if that’s a sticking point you probably would not like the Outlaw either, but maybe the reduced size and weight would make them a little more appealing to you.

Or......not.😉

Brad
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have used the Torpedo Classic for several years. Absolutely no problems or concerns, on any level. When you pull the bell up, just grab the trumpet with your other hand before the horn clears the top of the case. I have traveled commercial airline with it and I was completely confident that my horn would be well protected (took it as my carry on - requires less overhead space than a regular trumpet case.) The horn remains very snug inside the closed case - virtually zero movement. The shoulder strap is a huge plus, as it allows you to tote your horn around while still allowing the use both hands for other things, while traversing your environment. (The shoulder strap might also be better for security purposes, as compared to clutching a small handle?)

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
One question though, ever check out the Outlaw or Outlaw Loredo? They are a bit smaller and lighter, I think they are more “shoulder friendly” also. Another thing I like about the Torpedos is you don’t need to find somewhere to lay the case down to open it, and I like how they can be a protective “horn stand” on breaks. The horn still slides in mouthpiece receiver first, if that’s a sticking point you probably would not like the Outlaw either, but maybe the reduced size and weight would make them a little more appealing to you.

Or......not.😉

Brad

Indeed, the Outlaw/Outlaw Loredo is probably a probably a better fit for me and my needs than the Classic.

I've never seen/handled one, I'll have to see if there's one around here, somewhere.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
One question though, ever check out the Outlaw or Outlaw Loredo? They are a bit smaller and lighter, I think they are more “shoulder friendly” also. Another thing I like about the Torpedos is you don’t need to find somewhere to lay the case down to open it, and I like how they can be a protective “horn stand” on breaks. The horn still slides in mouthpiece receiver first, if that’s a sticking point you probably would not like the Outlaw either, but maybe the reduced size and weight would make them a little more appealing to you.

Or......not.😉

Brad

Indeed, the Outlaw/Outlaw Loredo is probably a probably a better fit for me and my needs than the Classic.

I've never seen/handled one, I'll have to see if there's one around here, somewhere.

It’s definitely a bit lighter, a bit shorter and slightly smaller diameter. I think it’s PLENTY protective, but it doesn’t have the rigidity of the Classic., Peacemaker or Loredo. I think the regular (not leather) Outlaw is like 3 lbs.

It’s a good compromise for me, almost gig bag-small, especially if you don’t use the mute bag (I do though), WAY more protective than a bag.

Brad
Linda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-I have had one since about 2013. I have an adjustable tuning bell on my trumpet, and pull it out of the bag-notwithstanding. I have also been sick once and carried my Torpedo upside down with the trumpet in it and the top unzipped-it didn't come out (this is not recommended and I was very ill when it occurred). I place the bag behind me when I play and it fits in tight spaces where traditional ones do not. It fits all my mutes plus trumpet stand. It fits my oil, my pencil, a rubber, my mobile phone, wallet and into the back of my car easily. Most of all, I can carry it over my shoulder and this is a much safer option as we get older and in my case, have a spinal injury. It leaves the hands free. I believe it to be the best option all round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: