• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Moving on to trombone

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Harry - I gave it a thought and I see that thinking in trumpet positions at the beginning stage of trombone development can actually make the things easier.
We need to know where in the overtone series we are as a starting point and then trumpet "mental fingerings" apply well with just a few trombone idiosyncrasies (optional) when moving up a scale.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
I now find myself doing silly things.
Since I haven't learned any scales on trombone yet I'm simply counting partials to figure out in which position each note of 'When the Saints go...' is located.

I've written out a chart for myself with overtone series in each position and looking at it I can fill out a roadmap through the song.

Since this classic only has 5 notes it's pretty simple but I feel myself really dumb that I have to do it that way

I of course know that popular trumpeter's cheat code:
1st = open
2nd = 2
3rd = 1
4th = 1&2
5th = 2&3
6th = 1&3
7th = all 3 down

... but it doesn't work for me on the fly.
So far lot's of thinking goes into where to move the slide to get the right pitch.

The years I played trombone, I set aside all of my trumpet and tuba fingering fundamentals. I bought a Rubank Advanced Method for Trombone, learned positions and re-learned bass clef from scratch, as if I had never had piano, chorus, or tuba, and internalized it. No "gimmicks," no "short cuts," no "relations." Just woodshedded from scratch until I learned it as if I were a beginner trombone player with no other brass experience, so that by the time of the first concert a couple of months in, I didn't have to think, "OK, that is a C above the bass clef, now, let's see...." No. C. 3rd position. Muscle memory developed so I didn't have to touch the bell for a point of reference. Done in a split second. On with the rest of the concert. Just do it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
My first year at North Texas, I played trombone in one of the Lab Bands. I didn't try to make anything comparable from trumpet to bone, rather learning bone with stand-alone demands. No attempt to relate one to another.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both the above posts.

It's nice to know how the instruments relate to each other, but rather than "translating" it's better to become "fluent" in the native language of each instrument.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough guys you are! My hat's off to you.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. If we did it, you can do it.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Tough guys you are! My hat's off to you.

Allow me to rephrase that.
Quote:
”Tough guys” you are! My hat’s off to you.

If the correlation of the 3 trumpet valve slide lengths to the distance you move the trombone slide, works for you, then I suggest you stay with it.

This has worked for many brass musicians that decided to double up from a 3-valve brass instrument to a slide brass instrument.

Let’s face it, if you ask 10 brass players, how to learn playing a brass instrument, you’ll get 10 different opinions. So for the time being stay with what works for you.

Once you get going and you really like your new instrument, get a teacher.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry. I also see nothing wrong with that approach in the very beginning.
Of course I'll get the native trombone pitches down cold with time.

So far I'm writing out 'When the Saints go Marching in' in a few keys to cover the whole slide position set along with the corresponding arpeggios and scales. All notes' positions are marked for quck reference.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Thanks Harry. I also see nothing wrong with that approach in the very beginning.
Of course I'll get the native trombone pitches down cold with time.

So far I'm writing out 'When the Saints go Marching in' in a few keys to cover the whole slide position set along with the corresponding arpeggios and scales. All notes' positions are marked for quick reference.

You are using the skill sets of both your left brain and right brain. That is a trait of very successful people
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Hilgers wrote:

You are using the skill sets of both your left brain and right brain. That is a trait of very successful people

If only my wife could hear you praising me!
I would add to her then: "You see, Harry doesn't mind me learning a bunch of musical instruments all day long as if I were a royal prince."
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Harry Hilgers wrote:

If only my wife could hear you praising me!
I would add to her then: "You see, Harry doesn't mind me learning a bunch of musical instruments all day long as if I were a royal prince."

+1
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bought a marching trombone and now have bought a slide trombone. The community band I'm in is sometimes down to just one trombone player, and maybe someday I could switch if they needed me too.

One thing that surprised me on first playing marching trombone was how hard it was to adjust down after playing on trumpet. I remember the first time I tried playing hymns the music was terrible, and then I realized I was playing several open notes too high. I had to reset what a C or G meant. At that point, I wasn't trying to learn bass. Once I had the right tone in my head, I could just read it like trumpet music.

I did buy a basic Yamaha tenor and I really like it. I've tried the 6.5 and 12 mouthpieces (or Yamaha equivalent). I'm also relearning bass clef. A benefit of a cheap tenor trombone is that you get better learning materials--youtube videos, free online instructional books, downloadable practice materials, cheap textbooks, etc. I'm just kind of playing around with this on the side (although I'd like to be able to use the marching trombone in small ensembles, if the intonation is okay) but I know of a number of people who moved over to trombone, horn or euphonium because there was greater need.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I'd bought a marching trombone and now have bought a slide trombone.

I'm a little confused. Doesn't a marching trombone have a slide?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I'd bought a marching trombone and now have bought a slide trombone.

I'm a little confused. Doesn't a marching trombone have a slide?

Reasonable question I had once myself. Then it was explained to me that a marching trombone is a shorted valve trombone also referred to as a flubgabone

https://wessex-tubas.com/products/flugabone-marching-trombone-fb124
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contend not, but it clears up the answer, anyway. Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a google image search for "marching trombone," it's all flugabone-style, valve trombones.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a google image search for "marching trombone," it's all flugabone-style, valve trombones.

Or one could follow the link in Harry's post.

I marched for 8+ years and never heard of one. However, I didn't march in the drum corps and perhaps they use them.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Or one could follow the link in Harry's post.

I marched for 8+ years and never heard of one. However, I didn't march in the drum corps and perhaps they use them.

The other day our geezer band played Buglers Holiday on trumpets.
It was suggested to play it on flugelhorn. Than it could be called flugler's holiday
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: What mouthpiece are you using on the alto? If it's the one that came with the horn, it's likely around a Bach 12C diameter which is considered pretty small by most trombone players, but not crazy small. Bill Watrous played a Bach 11C on his Bb tenor trombone. Tommy Dorsey played a mouthpiece around that diameter on tenor trombone as well.

The thing is, a small trombone mouthpiece is still a lot bigger than any trumpet mouthpiece.

In the video you gave the link to, Mike Lake mentions using a Bach 6.5AL on alto trombone, which is rather large and deep for alto trombone (Vincent Bach designed it for euphonium). If you're emulating him I think you're setting yourself up for trouble.

It's a long shot, but you might try to find a trombone player who bought a "pBone Mini" plastic alto trombone. They were marketed mainly as a "Suzuki method" trombone for little kids and came with a plastic mouthpiece that truly was halfway between a trumpet and trombone mouthpiece -- pretty much about the diameter of an Eb alto/tenor horn mouthpiece. The plastic mouthpiece will work fine on a brass horn and the smaller diameter would probably help a trumpet player trying to develop alto trombone chops.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago, our band's trombone player had to leave to do a job in San Diego, and we knew he would be gone for at least 6 months.

I drug out the valve trombone, and went to the woodshed to try to cover for him, on a few important songs.

I once played both valve and slide trombone, while I had to put the trumpet down completely to make the transition (Maynard and James Morrison can pull it off, I can't) did make it.

Not so, this time around. I don't know what changed, but could not get the resonance right, which happens in the chops. There is a certain marshalling of air, that occurs there, to set up the resonance, to get a full tone and not have to take a breath every 10 seconds. I couldn't get it going right.

I ended up trading the 'bone to Trent Austin for a C trumpet, which I actually needed far more than I did a valve trombone.

Another member of the band bought a baritone, and filled the slot, and he can switch from cornet to baritone to Bb trumpet to C trumpet at will, and does with aplomb over a 4 hour gig, want to stab him in the eye some nights.....
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: