• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Too old?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Too old" at 40? Snicker, snicker!

I'm 71. I've been playing clarinet since I was eight, and I can honestly say I'm fairly good at it. But back in January, I decided I wanted the challenge of learning something new, and I'd always been interested in the trumpet.

So I started practicing on my Selmer for 45 minutes a day, every day. It's fundamentally different from a reed instrument, and I'm having to develop an entirely new skillset to make acceptable music. But I keep on slowly improving, and it's a rewarding journey, well worth the effort.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odubhain82

Find a New Horizons concert band in your area. These bands are nationwide and they are comprised of people like yourself that are learning a band or orchestra instrument for the first time as an adult. The groups are fun and very rewarding and usually taught by retired school band directors. My wife plays clarinet in a New Horizon band in Ohio.

Oops! You're in Ireland and not the US! Maybe they have beginner adult bands there also. Where there are bands there is Guinness!!!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Not to late to start Reply with quote

Welcome back to playing trumpet. It is quite a interesting ride.

Started learning the trumpet six years ago, when my daughter started piano. She is twelve and passed her level six exam, and is on her second teacher. My journey has been more entertaining, with three teachers in six years and six months off from taking lessons. In the last year, with a recommendation from this website, found the right instructor for me. Seeing very much improvement. Now if I could stop myself from buying trumpets. Being a researcher by education and by temperament, I have lost track of how many trumpets/cornets, mouthpieces I have owed. Do know that I do not like 3rd slide adjustable rings or amado water keys on my trumpet.
Getzen 4 B mouthpiece
Yamaha 11 e mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: