• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My Reports on Kurt Thompson's 16 Wk Range & Endurance Co

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lambchop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiredChops wrote:
+1

I'm very interested to hear the results after 16 weeks, but it's also important to hear a weekly playing update.

There is no right or wrong each week, you may get better or worse as you progress. Understanding the entire journey is what I'm interested in.

OK, makes sense. I did make a high note test for week 2. I claimed to make a D which was better than a Db on week 0, but I guess I did barely make a D for less than a second originally, so we didn't add it on to the report that time.
Here is that week 2 high note test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2i2v4ZAx2c
lambchop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that Mr.Thompson deserves some credit. The solidity of that Eb is far greater than anything you demonstrated even above top-of-the-stave-G in the first video. I don't think, as he can appear to claim, he is unique in being able to teach this, but clearly he has had some success and should be commended for that.

I take issue with the suggestion that you have 'complete control'. When someone starts to make comments like that it invites a more critical response; and in truth, the production across the range is appalling, the sound quality is poor and there is clearly no power to the range either. To achieve 'complete control' requires an awful lot of work, and the assertion (either by you or Kurt) that you now have 'complete control' of the trumpet range up to Eb is unsavoury at best.

All the best
lambchop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll accept the complement as it was intended - to be some encouragement for an old comeback player with a junior high level of experience. Its just some PR, not a declaration of meeting some meaning of a professional standard.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lambchop wrote:
I think I'll accept the complement as it was intended - to be some encouragement for an old comeback player with a junior high level of experience. Its just some PR, not a declaration of meeting some meaning of a professional standard.

You're doing fine. Your Eb was a decent note. Don't let anyone discourage you. Nothing about playing trumpet is easy and you should be commended for your efforts and enthusiasm. Keep going or, as Clark Terry always said, "Keep on keeping on!"
lambchop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, gotta love Clark Terry.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I must agree with LSOfanboy. What good is an Eb above the staff if you can't play anything in the staff?
Range without sound means absolutely nothing. You need to work on fundamentals such as breathing, sound reproduction, technique, and musicality to name the most obvious. Learn these things and your playing will improve drastically.
I don't mean to be cruel, but at your ability range is just not relevant and is the last thing that should be worked on.
R. Tomasek
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Sorry, but I must agree with LSOfanboy. What good is an Eb above the staff if you can't play anything in the staff?
Range without sound means absolutely nothing. You need to work on fundamentals such as breathing, sound reproduction, technique, and musicality to name the most obvious. Learn these things and your playing will improve drastically.
I don't mean to be cruel, but at your ability range is just not relevant and is the last thing that should be worked on.
R. Tomasek

Everything you say is true. The problem is that you're imposing your goals on the OP. All he wants to do is play higher notes. That's his goal, at least as far as this thread goes. He hasn't expressed any interest in playing professionally. He hasn't expressed any interest in eclipsing Maynard's ability or reputation. He just wants to play some higher notes and he's exploring this method to try to make that happen. If he's satisfied with his progress that's all that really matters. What he does or doesn't do doesn't affect any of us in our pursuit of excellence on the trumpet. We're still free to pursue our own goals and set our own standards for excellence.

What I'm seeing here is a player who has renewed his interest in the trumpet and who plays for his own enjoyment and his own sense of accomplishment. That's why I say, "More power to him!" Who is to say that the OP isn't the happiest trumpet player in the world and that if he can reach double C he won't be the happiest trumpet player in the history of the instrument (even if his double C doesn't peel paint and is a little shaky and out of tune)? The best player in the world isn't necessarily the happiest player in the world. I'm all for players achieving their goals even if their goals don't match my goals.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
All he wants to do is play higher notes. That's his goal, at least as far as this thread goes. He hasn't expressed any interest in playing professionally. He hasn't expressed any interest in eclipsing Maynard's ability or reputation. He just wants to play some higher notes and he's exploring this method to try to make that happen. If he's satisfied with his progress that's all that really matters. What he does or doesn't do doesn't affect any of us in our pursuit of excellence on the trumpet. We're still free to pursue our own goals and set our own standards for excellence.

That's one of the warmest and most moderating posts I think I may have read. Thanks, man.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
All he wants to do is play higher notes. That's his goal, at least as far as this thread goes. He hasn't expressed any interest in playing professionally. He hasn't expressed any interest in eclipsing Maynard's ability or reputation. He just wants to play some higher notes and he's exploring this method to try to make that happen. If he's satisfied with his progress that's all that really matters. What he does or doesn't do doesn't affect any of us in our pursuit of excellence on the trumpet. We're still free to pursue our own goals and set our own standards for excellence.

That's one of the warmest and most moderating posts I think I may have read. Thanks, man.

+1 Thank you, a breath of fresh air! I am no saint in regards to "flame-ish" postings, and this is a good reminder to give encouragement to each of us where we are, instead of where I/we think they should be going...

Last edited by bike&ed on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I was not flaming him.
I hope he doesn't hurt himself trying to get those notes.

R. Tomasek
lambchop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to HERMOKIWI for the kind words. I wouldn't mind doing some discussion on Vin DiBona's perspective. I'm sure there are plenty of things I could improve on the lower register, but I don't quite follow why it would be premature to do this high note course. Clearly part of it is to try for higher and higher notes, and they of course would sound strained, but now the notes that used to sound strained are quite improved. Different methods vary in the order things are developed. CG has you work technical studies for years before playing any songs. The Knevitt books require you to play high D in the second exercise and it is supposed to be a beginner book. The Arban Manual by Bolvin is a gradient approach to Arban, but it says you need a solid high A to start that. The only real method books built on a gradient I have seen would be Mitchell. By lesson 18 you are doing G above the stave and things were getting harder. It seems that Kurt's course is not really so advanced in that light. Besides the course is on a gradient and you don't even play high that much, especially at first.
TiredChops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:

I take issue with the suggestion that you have 'complete control'. When someone starts to make comments like that it invites a more critical response; and in truth, the production across the range is appalling, the sound quality is poor and there is clearly no power to the range either. To achieve 'complete control' requires an awful lot of work, and the assertion (either by you or Kurt) that you now have 'complete control' of the trumpet range up to Eb is unsavoury at best.

Snarky posts and attitudes like this are why I left this forum years ago. Recently I found the video on YouTube and followed it here, but alas the TH is still a hot mess of egos and bravado with little constructive help to offer.

The OP put himself out there to document a journey. I applaud him for that, and I am still curious to see how things turn out.

I leave the rest of you to continue your self righteous fights among yourselves.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems anything regarding Kurt brings out a snarky attitude. He's not someone I would ever have anything to do with. That said, if his methods help the op in his quest to improve the more power to the op. Good luck.
lambchop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
lambchop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
lambchop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: week 6 Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTNCkEudseo
lambchop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
lambchop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: week 8 Reply with quote

Link
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never hear you play a tune? Your tone does not sound so good and I have always been told to have focus on tone more than high notes. I do like high notes too though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: