• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

'Jamming' notes together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
museltof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: 'Jamming' notes together Reply with quote

I am a 'comeback' player. In general I am doing very well, however I often 'jam' notes. In short, I play a note and it seems to turn out that two notes are jammed together. Years ago I was told that this comes from switching mouthpieces too often but I never change my mouthpiece.

What is likely to be the cause of this?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sonata Cornet

Bach Elkhart trumpet 100TR
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that you haven't yet reacquired the 'muscle memory' of how to set your embouchure, tongue, throat, air pressure, etc. for the individual pitches. And probably you're tiring faster than you realize and even though you attempt the correct muscle actions, you are unable to perform them adequately.
ANSWER - good practicing, play slow and concentrate on remembering the muscle actions that give the desired results. REST when you get fatigued, or start cracking/clamming/jamming note. Take a few minute break and swab the leadpipe, or apply fresh grease to the slides, review complicated rhythms, etc.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
museltof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, good advice and I am going to start practising slower things. Thank you. Trouble is: I like playing fast in practice.

Sonata Cornet

Bach Elkhart trumpet 100TR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: