• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Value of a Selmer flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Value of a Selmer flugelhorn Reply with quote

Do you know how much this could cost?
I think is a Selmer from the 70-80

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to give a meaningful number. Whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
gpessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Impossible to give a meaningful number. Whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I sort of understand what you mean... Would be nice to know opinions on the level of the instrument (beginner, intermediate, pro), the state of it (do you think the valves are ok?), or a range of price
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Value Question Reply with quote

gpessa wrote:
Robert P wrote:

I sort of understand what you mean... Would be nice to know opinions on the level of the instrument (beginner, intermediate, pro), the state of it (do you think the valves are ok?), or a range of price

Comparable sales is the gold standard in appraisal. Selmer was known for pro-line instruments, which is a plus. On the minus side-

-Selmer no longer makes brass instruments
-without a valid test, the condition of the valves is unknown. No one can look at a picture and determine the condition of the valves. Valve rebuild is not inexpensive.

So, look at eBay to see what good flugelhorns are actually getting, and make adjustments to account for the differences between those and yours.
gpessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Value Question Reply with quote

I know, but there is not much going on on ebay about selmer.

Richard A wrote:
gpessa wrote:
Robert P wrote:

Comparable sales is the gold standard in appraisal. Selmer was known for pro-line instruments, which is a plus. On the minus side-

-Selmer no longer makes brass instruments
-without a valid test, the condition of the valves is unknown. No one can look at a picture and determine the condition of the valves. Valve rebuild is not inexpensive.

So, look at eBay to see what good flugelhorns are actually getting, and make adjustments to account for the differences between those and yours.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Value Question Reply with quote

gpessa wrote:
I know, but there is not much going on on ebay about selmer.

There are 3 recently completed sales of Selmer Paris Flugelhorns on eBay right now. Two of the 3 have a wrap similar to yours, and all 3 appear to be in very good shape cosmetically.

I don't know much about serial numbers for this particular horn, but this site might be relevant, and might help you figure out the date of the horn. http://rouses.net/trumpet/selmer.htm

If you're not able to judge the condition of the horn (valves, red rot, etc), take it a decent repair shop, and have them look it over.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click completed sales. eBay is a good tool for assessing value, you just have to use it.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
gpessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! I managed to get it for 350, sounds like a decent price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: