• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: New trumpet Reply with quote

I'm playing with a Bach Omega MG290 anni '70 ... I would like to change the trumpet with a more professional model. Omega sounds dark and I would like a trumpet in the same style. I don't like too loud. I have a B&S Challenger 3137 I and I am not at all well. Bad sound. Thanks everyone for the answers.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Bach TR200 for a while and liked it. It's supposedly very similar to the Omega (same Bach mid-range trumpet concept and, I believe, interchangeable parts). It was a solid instrument with a two piece bell, and maybe that's why yours sounds dark (heavier + two-piece bell). In discussions here folk seem to say that different things about these lines. I've heard the leadpipe described as stuffy, but then someone else said it is a 25 leadpipe with a different receiver. I don't know. Anyway, this is all to say that a good Omega or TR200 may play as well or better as many pro horns, including Bach strads. They now sell for about 2/3rds the price of a strad, which is more than many pro horns.

The Bach I most often heard described as dark is the 72. You might want to go in that direction. The wider bell and greater tone spread sounds like the sound you are going for. I don't know the equivalent in other brands. For me, mouthpiece also helps me sound a lot darker. I'm playing on a bigger, deeper mouthpiece now and it definitely gives a darker sound.

Good luck on your trumpet search!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what is available to you and how far along in your trumpet progression you are... If you're relatively new the the trumpet, only a few years into your journey, then I'd suggest that you look for guidance from a teacher or mentor. Find some local instrument that you can demo with this person to find a solid fit for you.

Blindly recommending an instrument to someone is challenging. However, I recommend a Bach Strad, 19037, 50th Anniversary Model. A little more expensive, but you won't go wrong here, and would be an instrument you could keep for the rest of your playing career (so, really not that expensive if you think in terms of that)
For a little less money you could find a new or used Bach 18037, 72 or 43, BUT very important to play them first.

Then there is a litany of other wonderful instruments - but guidance and being able to demo them before you buy is highly encouraged.

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, to give any insight, we need to know what you mean by "bad sound". Bach Omega instruments are typically inferior 37s, but not always, so it is hard to know what the starting point is. What genre's and applications are you targeting? What other horns have you borrowed and tried (tell us like vs dislike). To be of any use to you, we really need to know a lot more - and to take a trusted, skilled friend, or better yet a teacher with you and try horns, is always a better bet than internet advice.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I played a Bach TR200...I've heard the leadpipe described as stuffy, but then someone else said it is a 25 leadpipe with a different receiver. I don't know. Anyway, this is all to say that a good Omega or TR200 may play as well or better as many pro horns, including Bach strads. They now sell for about 2/3rds the price of a strad, which is more than many pro horns.

The TR200 uses a two-piece 43 bell and a 25 pipe.

I played one for a while as well. Played quite well for what it was. Clear, brilliant sound, good response, good intonation. Very different than the Strad (37) I play now, and there are times I miss it.

If it is similar to the Omega, that may be why the Omega is so different than the Challenger 3137, which has a 37-style bell.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Tr200 listed as being a 43 or 37 bell, and the leadpipe description I saw was from a repair tech on here. I'm not actually sure on either of these, and I don't know what the differences are (for instance, it's possible the leadpipe is the same but the receiver gap was set up differently). 43s are often described as a brighter trumpet and that's never seemed true to me for TR200, although someone here did say they're popular with mariachi. I think I've heard the same mixed reputation on two-piece bells (traditionally seen as inferior but it turns out we may not be able to really hear a difference). All of this to say... if it's a good trumpet keep playing it.

I think the "bad sound" description was also aimed at the B&S. I tried some trumpets last week and had it down to two. My spouse said one sounded "scratchier." I think the trick is to keep trying instruments. I also think we get used to a sound and then look for that. I've heard this is a challenge for string players. They get used to "so-so" instruments (bright, tinny) and then look for that when they upgrade.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New trumpet Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:
I'm playing with a Bach Omega MG290 anni '70 ... I would like to change the trumpet with a more professional model. Omega sounds dark and I would like a trumpet in the same style. I don't like too loud. I have a B&S Challenger 3137 I and I am not at all well. Bad sound. Thanks everyone for the answers.

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing:
- what level of player you are
- what type of playing you do (concert band, orchestra, jazz, all of the above?)
- how much you have to spend

If you have the money to buy a real professional horn, you might want to check out Adams Trumpets. Nobody seems to talk about them much here, but they are excellent instruments with a wide range of configurations. Contact Trent at http://austincustombrass.com/

keith
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I've seen the Tr200 listed as being a 43 or 37 bell, and the leadpipe description I saw was from a repair tech on here. I'm not actually sure on either of these, and I don't know what the differences are (for instance, it's possible the leadpipe is the same but the receiver gap was set up differently). 43s are often described as a brighter trumpet and that's never seemed true to me for TR200, although someone here did say they're popular with mariachi. I think I've heard the same mixed reputation on two-piece bells (traditionally seen as inferior but it turns out we may not be able to really hear a difference). All of this to say... if it's a good trumpet keep playing it.

Interesting. You got me thinking, so I decided to look up the Bach catalog online and it doesn't list bell and leadpipe specs for the student model instruments anymore.

My old copy shows a 43/25 combo for the TR200 and a 7/7 combo for the TR300.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mouthpiece express describes the bell as a 43 and I think it was Jim Becker or one of those guys who said the leadpipe is a 25, but I'm guessing that's because those folk either measured or felt like that's how they played. It's helpful to know that Bach used to describe it this way. Maybe the 43 as a two-piece plays less brightly?

I have to be honest. I'm an amateur and my ears are average. I feel like it's probably similar to the oenaphiles where they can really tell wine vintages and flavorings, but the mass population prefers sweeter and simpler. I thought my TR200 was a pretty vanilla trumpet, but I quite liked it. I've been buying trumpets 2nd hand and the one I like playing the best honestly is the one closest to a student model, where higher notes are easier and slots are narrower.

If I were the OP, I'd basically look for something like the Omega but newer. Bach strad would definitely fit that. I'm curious if OP knows anything more on why the B&S didn't work (too open, weird intonation, etc.).
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a Bach that tends to play darker, try the 72 bell.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to go out and play a lot of trumpets. I think you may be surprised at what you like. When I was looking to upgrade, because I felt limitations in the trumpet I was playing (an intermediate Yamaha, which served me well until I got a little more ambitious and started really working on my playing), I started playing horns every chance I got. I visited used instrument shops and just tried out as many horns as I could. In the end, I was quite surprised at my discoveries and how some of my preconceived and researched notions did not apply. It is great to get advice here to find a place to start in the vast sea of trumpets that exist, but then I would recommend venturing into horns that do not fit the bill too. It is great fun and you learn a lot about yourself and trumpets.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a musical instrument shop they saw me try trumpets with the Kanstul G2 mouthpiece and suggested that I try large bore trumpets.
I was told that a large bore trumpet is needed with that mouthpiece.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:
In a musical instrument shop they saw me try trumpets with the Kanstul G2 mouthpiece and suggested that I try large bore trumpets.

If you want a trumpet that generates a dark sound try a trumpet with a 72-ish bell, could be a Bach or a Yamaha (the 'Z' models) or a B&S 3172 or MBX first tipo. Caroll Brass makes trumpets with 72 bells as well.

Bore size does not matter, the difference is just a few hundreds of one inch, you will not feel any difference

Keep in mind that 72-ish bells require a lot of energy to make them work properly; there is a good reason that the majority of the trumpets around the word are equipped with 37-ish bells...
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:

No. Just no. It's a sales pitch.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bore size does not matter, the difference is just a few hundreds of one inch, you will not feel any difference."

I've read this concept before but, I can only speak for myself. I prefer medium-bore or step-bore horns and got a large-bore horn recently and could hardly play it. Returned it for a refund.

(Presently play a Yamaha Shew and tried out a Schilke Handcraft.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:

HERMOKIWI wrote:
No. Just no. It's a sales pitch.

I'm inclined to agree with the above. Most people who work in shops know some things, but I wouldn't necessarily call them experts. Also, they're trying to sell stuff.

Also, I'm surprised a retail guy knows what a G2 is.

The long answer is:

The whole system is the player - the mouthpiece - the trumpet. It all has to work for the player to be successful. The parts have too all "get along" and balance to be successful.

Example: A player can play a Bach 1C that is bored out on a large bore Bach 72. That's a very wide open, free blowing set-up with a big mouthpiece, a open bore and an open horn. Would that work for someone? Maybe, but they'd have to be able handle all of that open-ness. I'm sure than some can, but it's possible that it's too open for many. Also, it might be good in the shop and playing for 15-30 minutes. The second half of the gig or rehearsal, though... you might run out of gas. It's not a failing on your part, it's just a really big open system. Either you need to work your tail off to get in shape for a marathon like that, or maybe consider something less taxing.

The flip side of it putting a tight efficient mouthpiece on a tighter, efficient horn - like an old King Liberty (for example). It will probably feel very small and tight to some (like me) and back up on them. I can make it better by putting a big mouthpiece on there to balance it - like that bored out 1C, but in reality, one needs to approach the horn differently to get more out of it.

I can see how one might think that putting a more open horn like a large bore with a more efficient mouthpiece like the G2 might work. In my experience, it's not that simple. Putting a big mouthpiece on a small bore horn like in the previous paragraph seems like balance, and also doing kind of the reverse with a efficient mouthpiece with a big horn. However, I don't find that equation usually balances out in reality. It's like putting oversized tires on a VW Bug or those slim economy spare tires on a large SUV or full size truck. The driving isn't really improved in either case.

There are people that play with that kind of set-ups, though. However, it's not common.

Did you actually play a large bore? Did you also play a ML bore? How were they different? Did things work better on one than the other?

It all starts with the player and how they play. Then they have to find a mouthpiece and a horn that works for them. You can change one component or the other to see if it improves.

I generally play on 3C-ish sizes and on fairly open ML horns, though my cornet is a large bore. When I move to a smaller horn like Eb cornet, I do try to find a more efficient mouthpiece to pair with it (rather than a larger, more open mouthpiece), but I also have to adjust my playing somewhat. It all depends what you're trying to get out of it. It's definitely not a one size fits all approach.

A few final points:

- If horn is giving you trouble, it might be (but might not be) worth tinkering around with mouthpieces, as there might be one that works better with it. However, it still has to be one that work for the player. Still, it might just not be a good horn for the player regardless of which mouthpiece you use.

- If a mouthpiece is giving you trouble, I'm am much less sure that changing horns will make it much better. I've found that if a mouthpiece doesn't work well for me, it doesn't matter which horn I use it on, it still won't work well for me. There is a slight exception for small, higher-keyed instruments, though - as I can use mouthpieces in those that don't work well in larger Bb's.

- Also equipment is rarely a fix for playing issues.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"Bore size does not matter, the difference is just a few hundreds of one inch, you will not feel any difference."

I've read this concept before but, I can only speak for myself. I prefer medium-bore or step-bore horns and got a large-bore horn recently and could hardly play it. Returned it for a refund.

I prefer easy trumpets; trumpets that play with a minimum effort. I found out that to me trumpets play hard when it's hard to make them deliver the sound that fits into my sound concept, I like bright sounding horns so in the end a Yamaha Z horn or a Bach 180-72 will wear me out
I have tried a lot of different horns with a lot of differend bore sizes, from Selmer Radials (large bore) to Miraphone Premium rotaries (medium bore) but every time I grabbed my ol' Bach 180-37 (ML bore) it was a revelation.
I sold her after a Getzen 900 LB crossed my path, that horn played even easier with at least the same quality of sound.

I found out that bore size doesn't matter when I had a small collection of horns: Bach 37 ML, Conn 22b M and Getzen 700s ML. The Getzen had the biggest bore (460) but the biggest resistance in the blow as well: It all has to do how much energy you have to deliver to make the horn sound like you want the horn to sound
The difference in bore sizes remains just a few hundreds of inches, you won't feel the difference
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: