• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large (8.5 by 11) Blue tooth screen for my iPhone8?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Large (8.5 by 11) Blue tooth screen for my iPhone8? Reply with quote

Anymore the vast majority of my favorite sheet music comes from public domain and it all resides on my iPhone 8.

When I am ready to play a piece, I send it to my wireless printer, print a copy, play it and afterwards I promptly put the copy on my growing stack of other sheet music where at I will never find it again.

Lots of paper waste (and tree waste) to say the least.

Does anybody know of a "not too expensive" blue tooth screen (kindle?) that I can use to see an enlarged picture on my iPhone screen? I could then play it directly from the large screen without wasting anymore trees.

I do have an iPad but that screen is still to small.

Thanks much for any suggestions.
Cheers,
Harry
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth was not designed to support video. Somebody may have done it, but you may be better off biting the bullet and getting a bigger iPad. Alternatively look for a reader that allows you to read PDFs or whatever, transfer the files to that device, and use it that way instead of as a second monitor from your iPhone.

Or buy one of those giant flat magnifiers sold on the late-night adverts...
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy an HDMI adapter and connect your current iPad to an inexpensive LED monitor? Should work okay as long as you have access to AC and a lot less than an iPad Pro....

HYH

Ben
B6Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s on your iphone, look into Apple TV. There around $100 US and you can use a TV to display.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the iPad display too small when you use it in landscape mode showing a half page at a time?

On mine it is at least as big as the originals. One just needs to turn pages twice as often, but turning pages is a simple tap and very quick.

I use ForeScore to display my music that is in pdf format, not a pdf viewer.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B6Bob wrote:
If it’s on your iphone, look into Apple TV. There around $100 US and you can use a TV to display.

Bob, thanks. I would, but my old TV is toooooo far away from my music room. We hardly ever watch TV anymore. In fact we are thinking on hauling it off the the dump. My iPhone is all I need to keep up with "the latest" and most of "the latest" is not worth keeping up with. (But that is another "sickening" story all together again and it for sure does not belong on the TH ).

LittleRusty wrote:
Is the iPad display too small when you use it in landscape mode showing a half page at a time?
On mine it is at least as big as the originals. One just needs to turn pages twice as often, but turning pages is a simple tap and very quick. I use ForeScore to display my music that is in pdf format, not a pdf viewer.

Rusty, thanks. I downloaded the Forscore App and page turning works indeed as simple as you said. My iPad screen is 5 by 7 inches. So in landscape-mode the music is not quit as big as on an 8.5 by 11 sheet, but pretty close. So this is a less than 10 bucks solution and will have to do for now.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
.............. but you may be better off biting the bullet and getting a bigger iPad.

Don, thanks. After looking at a bunch of options, the bigger iPad seems to be indeed the best solution of all, albeit an expensive one indeed. Apparently the largest is the Apple 12.9-inch iPad Pro. It is 8.46 in width x 11.04 in height. So perfect for my purposes. But until I can afford it, the solution Rusty gave me for using my yesteryear iPad will have to do.

benlewis wrote:
................ connect your current iPad to an inexpensive LED monitor? Should work okay as long as you have access to AC and a lot less than an iPad Pro....

Ben, thanks. Beyond the Rusty's solution, this indeed looks like the low cost solution for at home; indeed about a 100 bucks or so and plenty of them available. I will do some research on these.

Thanks guys for giving me some good alternatives.
Further down the road I will have to make a decision: New horn or new iPad Pro?

Right now I am saving up for a Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Series Bb Baritone Horn, $5,929.99 at the WW&BW, but now I am digressing

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Harry
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 12.9" iPad Pro and love, love, love it. But there are even still some pieces in our book where the original page was soooo tall and narrow that I have been unable to crop it and enlarge it to the point of easy readability. Scans of scans of scans of scans, etc. Have tried landscape mode and double the page turns, but found I do like to be able to see a little further ahead in the piece to know about mute changes and the like.

I flirted* for a while with blue tooth goggles or even a google-glass-like spectacles to put my music on a heads-up-display. I was unsuccessful finding a workable solution.

* I spent an evening sipping whiskey and combing Amazon before losing interest, but still fantasize about it, especially if the lens were on a little servo that rotated it in front of your eye like in The Last Starfighter.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
I have the 12.9" iPad Pro and love, love, love it. But there are even still some pieces in our book where the original page was soooo tall and narrow that I have been unable to crop it and enlarge it to the point of easy readability. Scans of scans of scans of scans, etc. Have tried landscape mode and double the page turns, but found I do like to be able to see a little further ahead in the piece to know about mute changes and the like.

I flirted* for a while with blue tooth goggles or even a google-glass-like spectacles to put my music on a heads-up-display. I was unsuccessful finding a workable solution.

* I spent an evening sipping whiskey and combing Amazon before losing interest, but still fantasize about it, especially if the lens were on a little servo that rotated it in front of your eye like in The Last Starfighter.

With the right software one could watch a movie and have the goggles switch back to the sheet music in time for one’s entrance.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
With the right software one could watch a movie and have the goggles switch back to the sheet music in time for one’s entrance.

That would give a whole new meaning to "dual" tasking .......
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post created a desire in me for this type of gadget, but I was also uncertain about the cheapest/best way to do it.

Has anyone tried using a digital picture frame for this task?

Seem interesting to me based on price and that they have their own software and come with a remote. To me it is better to have a dedicated tool for the task instead of connecting and fiddling with a phone. It looks like all the music would have to be in an image format but pdfs can be converted pretty easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: