• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Following along with animated sheet music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBeeBop

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Following along with animated sheet music Reply with quote

I have been projecting YouTube video onto my 60” TV and following along with Miles Davis as the notes scroll by. Songs such as Four 54, Walkin’, A night in Tunisia, All blues etc. I am returning to playing after raising five kids and practicing engineering for 40 years. I still have hope that I can bring it back. I never was a great sight reader, but at least when I played before all this technology was available, I could look a few measures ahead of the current measure and anticipate a little bit better.

My strength has always been my intuition and improvisation. Back when I was in Engineering School, I was playing my horn in the clubs to fund my education. Trained well in jazz, and naturally able to play the blues, my spontaneity has never been the problem, but sight reading especially in keys with lots of sharps is hard with “sheet” music, but almost impossible as the notes scroll by on a large screen.

Can anyone suggest a good book/method to use to improve site reading?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I’m aware of to improve sight reading is to sight read. There may in fact be specific method books that will help, but you can also take pretty much any piece of written music that’s in a realistic range (obviously you probably don’t want to use a method book written for flute) and just sit down and figure out the rhythms....and of course the pitches. If you’re not sure how to do that, that’s another story, and that’s been discussed here fairly recently, just scroll down about four threads.

Also, just curious, is there a reason why you list your horns’ serial numbers in your signature?

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: