• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reel Shield used as valve oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reel Shield used as valve oil Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Recently I received a recommendation to use an oil called Reel Shield for valve oil. It was built to be a lubricant for fishing reels, but the representative of the company said there was "a well known brass repairman" who swears by this product. The person I was speaking with did not know the name of the brass repairman, sadly. I looked at the MSDS sheet and it seems to be safe, but has anyone heard of using this product? Any information is much appreciated.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use a valve oil designed specifically for use on a trumpet?
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Because if you're a fisherman too, you only need to buy one kind of oil.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful about things such as: smell, taste, and staining. Other concerns would be about how it behaves with slide lubricants. I'm surprised that a 'reel oil' would be light weight enough for good valve action - unless diluted with some other light oil.

And you can be pretty certain that the product has not been made with any expectation that it would get near anyone's mouth. MSDS probably doesn't get involved with the machinery or processes used to package the product.

And there are many non-valve-oil applications for which a repair tech might use the product - I'd want a better 'first hand experience' recommendation.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
bdtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the discussion about this oil interesting given the boundary agent properties of the oil. It sounds somewhat similar to Binak, which I loved, but that oil didn't work for me. It was great oil and Nanette knows her stuff, but I couldn't make it work. I was discussing a different issue with the guy, initially, for the record. Since he claimed it wotked great on Trumpet and was being used successfully, I thought I would see if anyone else had heard of it. Thanks for the replies, though.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find a price on this stuff (out of curiosity). I couldn't, nor could I find a local retailer on Google (or any, for that matter).

Frankly, I don't get this need to find valve oil alternatives. Unlike the 60's or 70's there are lots of great choices. If this was the 1940's and people still had to use kerosene or something like that, ok. But it's not!

Also, valve oil isn't that expensive. Yamaha is $7-8 a bottle, Ultra Pure is $5-6. How many bottles do I even use a year? One? Two? From what I see from other fishing reel lubricant, it's actually likely to be more expensive.

This sound like marketing BS from a guy trying to drum up business. If the salesman can't recall the name of the guy who recommends it, then it's very possible it's just fictional to get more people to buy their stuff.

There are a ton of excellent brass lubricants out there: Yamaha, Hetman, Ultra Pure, Monster Oil, etc - that are newer and better than the old legacy products like Al Cass, Holton and the like. There is zero need to use lubricants for some other stuff.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
bdtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn, I tend to agree, but I have 1 1970's Bach that had a valve replate and is now excessively difficult about valve oils. I've actually worked my way through many of the usual suspects, but with some disappointment. Right now I am using 5 Star Red Zone which is pretty good, but there is still some valve reluctance.
bdtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil smells like cinnamon, I believe, and the rep said he thought you could drink it and it would be safe. I'll let him do that first, however. 🙂
bdtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to their website with MSDS, but no claims about trumpet or brass instruments. https://www.steelshieldtech.com/products/reel-shield/
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdtrumpet wrote:
The oil smells like cinnamon, I believe, and the rep said he thought you could drink it and it would be safe. I'll let him do that first, however. 🙂
bdtrumpet wrote:
Here is the link to their website with MSDS, but no claims about trumpet or brass instruments. https://www.steelshieldtech.com/products/reel-shield/

I found that, I didn't find any prices or retailers, however.

I prefer oils with no scent. Actually, I prefer most things (not food) with no scent. An oil that smelled like Cinnamon sounds like something that would irritate my throat and be a non-starter for me.

bdtrumpet wrote:
Crazy Finn, I tend to agree, but I have 1 1970's Bach that had a valve replate and is now excessively difficult about valve oils. I've actually worked my way through many of the usual suspects, but with some disappointment. Right now I am using 5 Star Red Zone which is pretty good, but there is still some valve reluctance.

Have you tried the ones I listed: Yamaha, Hetman, Ultra Pure, Monster Oil? I think all of those come in at least 2, if not 3 weights.

There are also LaTromba, Reeves-Brass Spa, Denis Wick, Fat Cat, Spacefiller, and LynzOil - which I've heard good things about, but haven't used myself. I would also add BiNak, but you already mentioned that this didn't work for you.

Valve oil is a pretty personal thing, as in sometimes only a certain oil works for a certain person on a particular instrument due to chemistry between the player, oil, and instrument valves.

I have an old Yamaha with worn valves that probably could use a replate, but has been getting by with Tech-Oil that is cut with a little Al Cass. When I dig it out again and clean it up, I'll try it with Yamaha as that's what I use in my Selmer and Benge and works great. If that doesn't work, I'll try with all of the ones I initially listed in various weights. I can always go back to my current formula, but I'd like to find something better.

My Selmer's valves were merely ok with Al Cass - which I used for years. It was better when I switched to Ultra Pure, but it works great with the new(ish) Yamaha Synthetic (regular weight). I also use it on my Benge, which is pretty much happy with anything I put in there.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying about your situation. Clean those valves thoroughly before trying a few oil (and cleaning the whole horn doesn't hurt). Maybe someone else on here has other suggestions for your valves. Good luck!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reel Shield used as valve oil Reply with quote

bdtrumpet wrote:

Recently I received a recommendation to use an oil called Reel Shield for valve oil. It was built to be a lubricant for fishing reels, but the representative of the company said there was "a well known brass repairman" who swears by this product.

I don't know... seems 'fishy' to me!
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the reel oils I've used are about interchangeable with good ole Remoil or other gun oils, slightly (but not much) lighter than 3-in-One oil. Much thicker than any valve oil I've ever used, but I am not familiar with the thickest of valve oils.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Ok, sure, if you’re a fisherman you could then buy just one oil, but is that really an issue? I’ve never thought the cost or availability of valve oil to be of much importance.

Edit: after reading further, I see the OP might be looking for a specific cure for his specific horn’s valve problem, so ok. I guess. I would still try other oils made specifically for trumpet valves first though.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: